I have had my PlayBook for almost a year. i just the other day started having a problem with the screen not registering touches.

I have updated to the beta os, so I am aware that this may be part of the problem. But, i did spill a small amount of liquid on my pb, prior to this happening, and figured that may be the problem, but i dont really know.

I did do the rice trick (cover in rice and leave it for a day) and that didnt have any effect on it. At this point I'm not against opening it to resolve this situation, but I am interested in other suggestions.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 Alpha Prime Hybrid using CrackBerry via Tapatalk
    06-17-12 08:16 PM
    What is the rice trick what dose it do.
    06-17-12 09:25 PM
    Well, first, I'd go back to the official OS. That would rule it in/out, possibly.

Where did the water enter if anywhere?

IF water entered, then opening may not reveal anything you can do.

If water did not really enter, then you could try calling rim.

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    06-17-12 09:26 PM
    Well, first, I'd go back to the official OS. That would rule it in/out, possibly.

Where did the water enter if anywhere?

IF water entered, then opening may not reveal anything you can do.

If water did not really enter, then you could try calling rim.

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)

I have no idea if the water got in or not. There was no obvious point of access. But, thank you for your excellent detailed post.

06-18-12 01:12 AM
    Well, you can also try

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.

Try the Debrick method....

Perform a backup of your pb if you can using Desktop Manager or, at least, manually coping any unique data, photos, voice recordings, documents, etc.

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile
    06-18-12 08:34 AM
    I know of one thing that you might want to try, I fly RC Heli's and have had the misfortune of finding the water a couple of times, it's amazing how fast water can wick into small gaps and how long it will stay, if you have a lamp with a shade on it lay a dry towel over the shade, and place the playbook on top, a few hours like this does wonders at drying out wet electronics, low watt bulb I'd say max 40w, and keep an eye on it for the firsts little bit to make sure it's not getting to hot, I know this sounds silly but it actually does work.
    06-18-12 09:10 AM
    I know of one thing that you might want to try, I fly RC Heli's and have had the misfortune of finding the water a couple of times, it's amazing how fast water can wick into small gaps and how long it will stay, if you have a lamp with a shade on it lay a dry towel over the shade, and place the playbook on top, a few hours like this does wonders at drying out wet electronics, low watt bulb I'd say max 40w, and keep an eye on it for the firsts little bit to make sure it's not getting to hot, I know this sounds silly but it actually does work.

thats a cool trick. I'll give that a try as well.

@F2, I'm working on getting backed up. I cant seem to get the backups without an error. Not sure if thats a prob with the beta dm, or the beta os. Maybe i just need to stop using betas lol

06-18-12 01:53 PM
    Ok, so I have tried to do the lamp trick, but no go. I am currently running the debrick method right now. My thought is it might not be moisture, but the beta 2.1. I honestly cant say there is any real benefit for me at the moment, so Im going back to retail. It cant hurt anyhow. I will update tomorrow, and try to figure out the next step.

06-21-12 12:09 AM
    So going back to retail didnt work. I called RIM playbooksupport and got an rma. it was so easy, and fast. it took seriously about 30 min total on the phone to get everything done.

06-21-12 04:59 PM
    So going back to retail didnt work. I called RIM playbooksupport and got an rma. it was so easy, and fast. it took seriously about 30 min total on the phone to get everything done.

You should get the rma box tomorrow. It took only overnight to get it to WA state. I dropped it at a local ups joint for a 4:30pm pickup and it was in Tn the next day!
    06-21-12 06:46 PM
    Thats how it ended up so far for me, except they are having it done FedEx. To say Im happy with the process so far would be an understatement.

06-24-12 11:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD