Hi everyone.

First post and im afraid its going to be one that gets asked a lot, ive had a search but cant find anything that answers my question.

Ive had my playbook for about a month now and just noticed something that looks like a dead pixel, i downloaded the checker app and i can see it on all colours of the screen... even black. Ive just fully powered down the unit and i can still see it, does this mean its just dust under the screen? Its square/rectangle, perfect straight lines and the same size as a pixel... its this just a coinsidence?

I look forward to your comments.

Cheers

Joey
    01-07-12 07:17 AM
    I would suspect it is dust if it is still there even when the device is completely powered off.

Can someone confirm?
    01-07-12 07:41 AM
    I only get a row of deadpixel on start up screen then its fine!!!!
    01-07-12 07:56 AM
    Its probably not a dead pixel do to the mechanics of an LCD but rather a stuck pixel. You generally find dead pixels and ghosting with crappy 3 tier lcds and i would assume that RIM only chooses first tier lcds that are pre tested.

What you can try is 2 things.
    1.) flick it, poke it, apply a reasonable level of force at your discretion.
    2.) massage the area of the screen with your thumb and apply enough force that you start seeing the liquid look.

Lcds are not that delicate contrary to popular belief so you can do this with confidence.
    01-07-12 08:38 AM
    The above is correct. Dead pixels will not be visible when the screen is off. (And it should dissappear with one of the color settings on display test)
    01-07-12 08:45 AM
    There is an app in the app world "Screen Helper" which claims to remove these stuck pixels, i've tried it could'nt make out ant difference. I just ignore them, no big deal
    01-07-12 08:47 AM
    There's also the Display Test, free app. It rotates through solid and bars of screen colors. Maybe enough rotation will UNstick it.
    01-07-12 10:56 AM
    Hi everyone.

First post and im afraid its going to be one that gets asked a lot, ive had a search but cant find anything that answers my question.

Ive had my playbook for about a month now and just noticed something that looks like a dead pixel, i downloaded the checker app and i can see it on all colours of the screen... even black. Ive just fully powered down the unit and i can still see it, does this mean its just dust under the screen? Its square/rectangle, perfect straight lines and the same size as a pixel... its this just a coinsidence?

I look forward to your comments.

Cheers

Joey
    Check your receipt and see if you can return it, and get a new one. However if you decide to do this I would back your current Playbook up...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-12 10:58 AM
    you should get you playbook replaced, when i first got mine i had a couple of dead pixels near the top of the screen
    01-07-12 11:29 AM
    Stuck pixels are visible on a black screen. But not a powered-off screen. No backlight = no on pixels (even stuck ones).
    01-07-12 12:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD