hreiner: every thing you've cited is either

a) quite old

or

b) someone (Not RIM) taking a guess

You, taking their guesses and making your own guesses, still does not equal a fact.

The facts, as stated by RIM are

1) They are sold out of the 16 GB version
    2) They have improved the PlayBook inventory situation
    3) They released a new 1.5 GHZ, OTA PlayBook in August in Canada, November in the UK
    4) they have said BlackBerry 10 is coming to the PlayBook
    5) They have said they are still analyzing how to make money on future versions

None of these things says, "The PlayBook is discontinued". And write downs (which are not write offs) are troubling, but old teardowns get out of date as component costs drop.

For the record, one of my first posts here was questioning whether or not RIM would continue with the PlayBook line. I am in agreement that discontinuing could very much be an option. My issue is people transforming rumours and guesses into cold hard facts.
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 02-06-13 at 11:36 AM.
    02-06-13 10:13 AM
    hreiner1
    A) Those references are a year and a half old.
    B) For the most part they were guesses made by journalists at that time.
    If those quotes were true we likely would have run out of Playbooks long before now.
    Don't confuse opinions with facts.
    If you know that the factory producing Playbooks no longer produces Playbooks or Blackberry announces Playbooks are discontinued, then we have some facts.
    02-06-13 10:27 AM
    Gotta say RubberChicken and I am on the same page 100%
    02-06-13 10:29 AM
    Until we hear something from blackberry this is just wild speculations.

If Alec Saunders says we can expect a BB10 update for PlayBook later this year let's take his word for it and sit tight.

I love my PlayBook(s) and use them all the time... and my local BestBuy and FutureShop both have them in stock.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-06-13 10:30 AM
    "BestBuy and FutureShop both have them in stock" Do you know how much they are selling for? Must be a local store with some leftovers as their web pages show as sold out.
    I live in a relatively small area and about a month ago our local Staples brought in over 100+ Playbook 32's and sold them out in less than an hour @$119 each.
    02-06-13 11:27 AM
    "BestBuy and FutureShop both have them in stock" Do you know how much they are selling for? Must be a local store with some leftovers as their web pages show as sold out.
    I live in a relatively small area and about a month ago our local Staples brought in over 100+ Playbook 32's and sold them out in less than an hour @$119 each.
    I was curious and checked the websites. Neither Future Shop or Best Buy have it available. Mind you, same company.

Best Buy appears to be sold out of white Z10's though.

Rogers BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone - White - 3 Year Agreement : Rogers BlackBerry - Best Buy Canada
    02-06-13 11:34 AM
    In the impossible venture to buy a 32GB PlayBook for a gift several disinterested "sales" people in many retail stores in the last couple of weeks have told me the PlayBook is out of stock and won't be reordered. Not one was able to tell me whether it was discontinued or not. I think the matter is moot, if you can't buy it anywhere for love nor money then you might as well consider it discontinued. I could get an ox-blood coloured leather envelope for $4.99, not that I had a PlayBook to put in it.
    02-06-13 02:31 PM
    There was a lot of Playbooks sold around Xmas time. I wonder if sales simply exceeded supply? I keep thinking that because they annnounced that the 16 was being discontinued several months ago, than why wouldn't they announce it if the 32 & 64's were being discontinued - if that was the case?

According to The Source website our local store has two 32 gb PBs in stock at $149. I am tempted to go and buy one as a spare, but then if they come up with an updated version...
    02-06-13 05:29 PM
    They apparently outsold iPads in the UK over Christmas when the 64Gb was �129. Since then, the prices have gone back up to �149 but there is still stock to be found in the major chain stores where I live.
    02-06-13 06:13 PM
    02-06-13 07:12 PM
    Heins did address tablets in the press conference following the launch. He did again confirm that BB10 will come to PB. I have been expecting them, after phones are released (and I believe - nothing based in anything anyone said - you will see a "curve" or lower priced phone as the 3rd in the series follow shortly after the Q), to launch quickly a tablet keeping with the theme "mobile computing", but I have learned one thing about Mr H. He's very very very (did I say very) careful with his words and I believe if you pay attention to what he says, you get a very good look into whats what - unlike the previous managers.

From the Verge: "as part of a post-presentation Q&A, BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins answered a question about RIM's future with tablets and whether the ill-fated PlayBook would be upgraded to BlackBerry 10. Fortunately for those who purchased the company's first tablet, the answer was affirmative. "Our plan is to upgrade all existing PlayBooks to BlackBerry 10," Heins said. As for future tablets, he was a little more cagey � it sounds like future plans will depend on how successful BlackBerry is with its reinvention. "The way we look at tablets right now is it is difficult on a cost to profits standpoint," Heins said, "so we are still exploring various use cases for it." That's not exactly a ringing endorsement, but tablets that aren't the iPad have certainly had a tough go in the marketplace so far � it wouldn't surprise us if BlackBerry wanted to wait until his new phones and OS were on more stable ground first.

It was the first time I have had doubts they would reissue a tablet anytime soon as part of the "mobile computing platform", and while I still think they will, I don't think it will come quickly now. Maybe end of the year - holiday time? I don't think sooner than that but again it's just my humble opinion. It might even be further down the line. I really think they want to bring BB10 to devices you aren't even considering right now like medical, appliances things like that

"It is difficult on a cost to profits basis..." means everything gets judged by how profitable it is expected to be for the company. It leads me to believe that they will not build one more PB then then absolutely have to under any previous commitment made before TH took the job.
    02-06-13 08:05 PM
    You better read Kevins blog on BB10 coming to the PB. It just may not happen.
    02-06-13 08:30 PM
    "You better read Kevins blog on BB10 coming to the PB. It just may not happen. "
    Read that, but mightn't there be a way of taking the smaller RAM into account and working around that and adjust 10 for the PB. Also wasn't the PB the test bed for 10 in the first place?
    02-06-13 08:47 PM
    Yes it was and I don't know, Kevin doesn't sound too encouraged about it. The phones with 2gb of RAM only have 900 or less free.
    02-06-13 08:53 PM
    what I am absolutely 100% sure of - we will get something called "BB10 for PlayBook" or "BB10 for Tablet". To do anything less would be to out and out fib to the faithful. This group doesn't have that luxury any more.
    02-06-13 10:01 PM
    From BB Marketting person today I was told 6 more devices. Will not say what though. Did confirm new OS for PlayBook near end of March as per Thors statement.
    02-06-13 10:21 PM
    From the Verge: "as part of a post-presentation Q&A, BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins answered a question about RIM's future with tablets and whether the ill-fated PlayBook would be upgraded to BlackBerry 10. Fortunately for those who purchased the company's first tablet, the answer was affirmative. "Our plan is to upgrade all existing PlayBooks to BlackBerry 10," Heins said.
    Believe me, even Mike Lazaridis or the other Co-CEO (if they are still CEO’s) would say the same thing...

What will make these CEO’s difference is the “implementation”...
    02-07-13 12:13 AM
67 123