I (successfully) watched several wmv videos earlier today, while still running the original OS. I have since updated to Os2 and have found video playback fails part way through nearly all the files. It also takes a few seconds for the file to start playing. I'm pretty sure it was near instant before. Has anyone else encountered this?
    02-21-12 12:31 PM
    Not sure if its similar , but i had a movie on my PB before (AC3 i think) that i was able to play & watch ..once i updated the OS it is no longer able to play & says not supported

Now i read that AC3 is not supported but then why was it able to play in 1.0.8
    02-21-12 01:05 PM
    No problems for me. have watch full length feature movies and a couple of cartoons, with no provlems. WMV, xvid avi and MP4...no issues....at all..
    02-21-12 01:13 PM
    I just tried a couple of movies and they still work.
    02-21-12 01:13 PM
    The error message I get is

Media Error
    An error has ocurrred. Please try again.

Needless to say, trying again makes no difference.
    02-21-12 02:46 PM

Media Error

I have not had any issues with viewing videos since upgrading the OS. In fact, the .mkv files - not sure the exact codecs - that I had stored on my Playbook all now play perfectly.

The only thing I could think of would be to reboot the device. This comes from trying to open a word document with WordtoGo and I received an error message indicating "A library error has occurred, please reboot". I did and all of my documents opened properly. Perhaps this would help your problem.

Alternatively, you could remove the video files that are giving you trouble and then re-transfer it over to the device. Perhaps the file got corrupted during the application of the new OS.
    02-21-12 02:56 PM
    Interesting... I went to check out my videos and a HD MP4/AAC video now doesn't show up as if it wasn't supported.
    02-21-12 03:01 PM
    Thanks for the comments so far. I have tried a reboot and re-copy, neither of which make a difference. Copied over an avi file, and that plays fine, so possibly limited to wmv files.

Planning on trying a debrick process - about to look it up now...
    02-21-12 04:11 PM
    Debricking didn't fix it
    02-21-12 05:24 PM
    Tried a hard reset, which of course didn't work, given that a complete reinstall via debrick process didn't. Rather than wait in hope for a fix, I have resorted to converting all the files to mp4 using XMedia Recode. Extremely annoying.
    02-23-12 08:27 AM

Media Error

Same thing happened to me. I was using HDMI out and watching a video on my tv. Then switched over to a slideshow of photos to show my wife. then went back to load another video then got the error on a video I had just viewed 5 mites before.
    A reboot fortunately fixed the problem.
    02-23-12 09:08 AM

Media Error

I've just gotten this on one of my newly encoded movies.

I had encoded Airplane and Puss In Boots with the same tool and with all the same settings. Airplane plays perfectly every time. Puss In Boots gives the same nebulous message as above. A useless message, too. Tell me what's wrong that I may fix it, don't just tell me an error occurred! Where did these clowns learn to write code???

Shoot, even my 5GB Divx encoding of The Godfather works...

I tried rebooting this morning to no effect. Perhaps I'll try again...
    02-27-12 08:10 AM
    I've just gotten this on one of my newly encoded movies.

I had encoded Airplane and Puss In Boots with the same tool and with all the same settings. Airplane plays perfectly every time. Puss In Boots gives the same nebulous message as above. A useless message, too. Tell me what's wrong that I may fix it, don't just tell me an error occurred! Where did these clowns learn to write code???

Shoot, even my 5GB Divx encoding of The Godfather works...

I tried rebooting this morning to no effect. Perhaps I'll try again...
    I don't know if this will help or not. When I did a security wipe I copied videos back to the pb in groups with wifi-sharing. Highlight a few and copy/drag to the pb. Did a few batches to get them all over. They all appeared to copy. Later tried viewing one - it showed the normal thumbnail from somewhere in the video so it looked fine. It would not play. I checked file sizes - matched the original on the computer. Erased it and recopied it. It worked. So for some reason, while it appeared to be a precise copy, something was wrong. Happened with a second video from that same restore operation. Recopied and it, too, then worked.
    02-27-12 09:49 AM
    I don't know if this will help or not. When I did a security wipe I copied videos back to the pb in groups with wifi-sharing. Highlight a few and copy/drag to the pb. Did a few batches to get them all over. They all appeared to copy. Later tried viewing one - it showed the normal thumbnail from somewhere in the video so it looked fine. It would not play. I checked file sizes - matched the original on the computer. Erased it and recopied it. It worked. So for some reason, while it appeared to be a precise copy, something was wrong. Happened with a second video from that same restore operation. Recopied and it, too, then worked.
    I was going to try that when I got back home this evening. You're right, the icon appears normal, the properties (through Windows, anyway) appear correct but it won't even start playing.

Given how loose the micro USB seems (a lot of side-to-side play), one wonders if there's something iffy about the connection.

Edit: No luck. Two other movies using the same encoding copied and played just fine, but recopying Puss In Boots just doesn't work. So I re-encoded it, and it still doesn't work. Unbelievable...
    Last edited by hytran; 02-28-12 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Update
    02-27-12 10:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD