Office Depot near me always has the PB in stock and prominently displays it. Do yourself a favor and avoid 'Best' Buy at all costs. They suck.
    Not true! BestBuy is a great place to get some "hands on" time with a device...before you buy it online.
    9of13 likes this.
    07-05-12 12:37 PM
    It looks like from this article Best Buy closing 50 big box stores, adding 100 Best Buy Mobile locations and I have read others that BesyBuy is in real trouble. They lost $1.7Bn after a $2.6Bn restructuring charge 2 quarters ago which seems pretty careless to me.

They are decommiting from bog box sales and service installs. Reading between the lines it also seems that BestBuy wil be reducing the number of big (high rent) stores they have.

If, as the article says, they are spending 40% more on staff training, it makes me wonder if they did not just call Apple in to run the courses. This would explain why the sales staff are so negative towards BlackBerry and RIM.

It is a shame to watch BestBuy sinking especially after the demise of Circuit City a year or two back. There are now few places where you can go to actually see and touch a product.

Taking things to extremes, one can imagine a BestBuy store with just a single iPhone for sale. This would considerably lower their store rental costs.

If BestBuy do not want my business then I shall take it elsewhere.

Finally, I never get angry with sales people since I long ago worked out that I know far more than they do about just about anything. I have been a salesman but I sold professional data-transmission products to corporations and I was more a consultant than a salesperson 'cept for the commission, of course.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-05-12 12:57 PM
    Not true! BestBuy is a great place to get some "hands on" time with a device...before you buy it online.
    Pretty much "hands on" with a dead device around here. Half the stuff doesn't work.
    07-05-12 04:50 PM
    It looks like from this article Best Buy closing 50 big box stores, adding 100 Best Buy Mobile locations and I have read others that BesyBuy is in real trouble. They lost $1.7Bn after a $2.6Bn restructuring charge 2 quarters ago which seems pretty careless to me.

They are decommiting from bog box sales and service installs. Reading between the lines it also seems that BestBuy wil be reducing the number of big (high rent) stores they have.
    Well sounds like the media needs to start a "death watch" doesn't it? Fair is fair, right?
    07-05-12 06:31 PM
    Pretty much "hands on" with a dead device around here. Half the stuff doesn't work.
    When I first read this I thought you said . . . . "Half the staff doesn't work". And I was nodding in agreement. L0L
    9of13 likes this.
    07-05-12 07:01 PM
    Staples at Union square in NYC
    Used to have a Playbook Display, all gone

But even other tablets are hidden, and not properly presented at Staples
    what they are pushing are readers of all kind

I guess PB 16gb is sold out at this model was the one which was cheapest when it come out first more than a year ago, so they have only 32 and 64gb in stock
    Once the stock of is sold off, depleted, I do not believe that there will be a new production of the PB

RIMM will produce the OS, and sell or give it for free to hardware vendors to put it on their tablets and phones
    Same as Goggle does it with Android, all Blackberry phones will be from third party smaller hardware vendors, like HTC who need an alternative to IOS and Android
    with a market share of maybe 10 to 15%

RIMM will survive as a pure software and secure network company, their strenght
    Our tablets will go the way of the Commodore 64 and Atari

07-05-12 09:30 PM
    Earlier this year I went to the Best buy in Washington DC on Wisconsin ave. There was 1 PB on display in a sea of other tablets. The only PB was actually dangling from the counter by its power and security cable. When I started to use it the clerk said it's was broken. When he saw it come on he asked how'd I get it to work. He had no idea it was in sleep mode and a simple bezel swipe would bring it to life.
    07-05-12 10:59 PM
    I got this price watch email from BestBuy Canada on July 2, 2012 selling PB64 for $269.99. I check their site today and it says $299.99 so if anyone wants to try for $269.99 go for it. In theory price should be good for 30 days?

07-06-12 07:49 AM

Weird because a BestBuy just opened in my city a couple years ago.

But pushing Apple, IMO, doesn't just happen at BestBuy. It happens pretty much everywhere.
    07-06-12 10:07 AM
    Staples at Union square in NYC
    Used to have a Playbook Display, all gone

But even other tablets are hidden, and not properly presented at Staples
    what they are pushing are readers of all kind
    You were better off there then at the Best Buy on 14th st and 4th Ave(other side of the square). I went in there 3 weeks ago getting a stylus and spotted the convertable case. Their accessories are scattered all over the place and when i grabbed one, a passing salesperson said "thats for the blackberry" I said i know and he looked at me and shook his head like his forehead read 'smdh'

atleast he didnt try to talk me out of buying the case!
    07-06-12 11:23 AM
    Weird because a BestBuy just opened in my city a couple years ago.

But pushing Apple, IMO, doesn't just happen at BestBuy. It happens pretty much everywhere.
    Higher profit margin. No mystery here.
    Cracklen likes this.
    07-06-12 11:47 AM
    A couple wks back when I purchased my 64g at the sunridge FS (cdn Bbuy subsid) it was the last 64 in store. Yesterday dropped in and fd they had restocked with 3 more 64s also a couple 16s and half dozen 32s. Soooo if ya really want the RIM Pb they are out there and if you just don't live in the region right side of the 49th, as others have ptd out....online option.

Imho
    07-06-12 04:14 PM
    While it may be true that they are not being displayed and in stock at most stores, it should be noted that they will be happy to order one for you, or you can order yourself here:

playbook - Best Buy
    07-06-12 04:58 PM
    BestBuy and Radio Shack still have displays here. The BestBuy display is a nice setup with a working demo too. Staples here has almost stopped all tablet sales.
    07-06-12 05:26 PM
    The answer is yes. Best Buy has given up on RIM and I think that's OK I just won't buy any BlackBerry items from them.
    What happens when apple gives up on Best Buy? Go ahead mister type writer repair man tell me it can't happen.
    07-06-12 05:35 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD