About every 3rd time I start my Playbook up from the fully off position and it turns on....
    ...I get an odd chime sound ( decending tones ), sort of like an old style grandfather clock.
    ...And it sounds as if the speakers have been blown ( they don't sound right ).

Then I do a re-start and the problem goes away.....
    ...Until the next time it happens?

Has anyone else experienced this glitch?
    09-28-12 06:37 PM
    Nope, never. Are you sure you don't have an alarm set for a recurring event that is playing when you boot up? Mine does that when I miss an alarm while the device is off. I doesn't sound like the speakers are blown though.
    09-28-12 06:45 PM
    never had that on mine either
    09-28-12 06:49 PM
    Never on mine either.
    09-28-12 07:11 PM
    Not on mine.
    09-28-12 07:11 PM
    No, sorry, Never had anything like that...

Maybe its like the Willy Wonka Golden Ticket. You'll get BB10 way before the rest of us!!!
    jafobabe and kozmo68 like this.
    09-28-12 07:28 PM
    Nope but my phone chimes with 3 bells out of the blue every once in awhile...must be a BlackBerry thing?
    09-28-12 07:28 PM
    I have never had this happen either. How long ago did you get your playbook?
    09-28-12 07:39 PM
    Never. Strange.

Posted from Crackberry.com App for Android
    09-28-12 07:50 PM
    I have encountered this. I will sometimes get this "sound" on start up as well. I never turn my PB off. The only time my PB gets restarted is after I run out of power and I rarely do that. I have just always thought it was the low battery alarm being replayed in a slightly distorted fashion. Will pay closer attention the next few restarts.
    09-28-12 08:39 PM
    I noticed it today and as another poster mentioned, it was an alarm, maybe even from the bridged calendar.
    09-28-12 09:09 PM
    Most likely it's the alarm. Tab on the time on top of the playbook and look at the alarm setting.
    09-28-12 10:43 PM
    Well dang it.... ya caught me...
    09-28-12 10:59 PM
    man I had my pb for about 9mo and have dropped it hit it with lighters a blade, all by acciden I swear, and the only problem I had is that once or 2ice it had a blackscreen and u could see it was on because of the backligth nothing a hold down of the power button didn't fix. also why do people keep using all 3 buttons for a hard reset isn't that worse than just holding down the power button for about 5-10 secs. I keep seeing people complaining because its hard to press them when they can do the same with just the power button.
    09-28-12 11:15 PM
    nope. not here.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    09-28-12 11:18 PM
    As for the Alarm, I don't think there is an option to make the chime sound, so I doubt it is that. It also shouldn't be a regular App because none should start up automatically (that I know of) or run in the background, except Messages and Calendar. Calendar makes that a chime sound.

So the only thing that gives a chime sound that I found was when there is a Calendar reminder. Try to set a fake event 6 minutes into the future and set the reminder 5 minutes. Is that the same chime sound you hear?

Edit: also, IF that is the sound you hear, but it does it randomly without having any events on any of your calendars (you can have multiple calendars, so check each one), then it might be a strange glitch with Calendar for you. May want to try to wipe and start new if that is the case.
    Last edited by BerryClever; 09-29-12 at 12:10 AM.
    09-29-12 12:07 AM
    Never had that problem with my PlayBook, I rarely turn it completely off.
    09-29-12 02:08 AM
    Wouldn't know if I did my volume is usually muted.
    09-29-12 08:31 AM
    Thanks for all the responses guys!

I don't have any Apps on my Playbook, just use it for video chat and watching youtube. I use bridge all the time and have no alarms set for it. I bought the Playbook right when Sprint starting selling the 16gb for $199.00 ( so that was about 9 months ago.

When the Playbook does this everything works as it should except for the speakers - which have the same hiss no matter what is being played - all the gestures and U.I. for that matter seem to work as they should.

I will shoot a video of it next time it happens.
    09-29-12 08:59 AM
    I have not experienced this at all. Then I rarely ever have to restart my playbook.
    From your post it seems that when it happens your playbook continues having speaker issues until you reboot. Is this correct?
    Also you mentioned that it doesn't happen every time but about every third time? That is odd.
    09-29-12 09:24 AM
    Never experienced this with either of the two playbooks we own. I do get a churping in my ears every now and again but it usually turns out to be the wife... just kidding honey!
    Last edited by kozmo68; 09-29-12 at 12:51 PM.
    BerryClever likes this.
    09-29-12 10:39 AM
    I ain't never had that.
    09-29-12 11:22 AM
    Three more nos here.
    09-29-12 03:16 PM
    I had experienced it many times. It's low battery alarm.

Some times you can hear the chime ding ding sound when you work with your tablet until it's switching off automatically. After startup playbook plays a low battery alarm.

It seems to be normal.
    09-29-12 11:12 PM
    I had experienced it many times. It's low battery alarm.

Some times you can hear the chime ding ding sound when you work with your tablet until it's switching off automatically. After startup playbook plays a low battery alarm.

It seems to be normal.
    Aha yeah now I've heard of that. Not on start up though
    09-30-12 03:59 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD