For love nor money I can't do a hard reset. I hold the power button down first (it is a flush one ) and then the - and + volume keys (always get a screen shot snap). What is the frigging magic to get it to do a hard reset? If I just hold the power button briefly I get the black screen and if I hold for longer I get the options of restarting standby etc. So the power button is working just fine.
    01-12-12 10:01 AM
    You need to press the power, ▒volume buttons "together", not after or before--- thats the only trick.
    All three, at the same time. Keep it held for 10 seconds, until the PB shuts off, then reboot after a minute.
    01-12-12 10:25 AM
    does it reboot automatically or do u have to press tje power button again? also when doing a hard reset does the option to turn off, restart or standby option come up?
    01-12-12 10:44 AM
    Keep holding all 3 until it reboots by itself. Yes the options come up.
    01-12-12 10:55 AM
    Try just the power button itself for 10s. I have yet to see anyone claim with any certainty that this doesn't do exactly the same thing as the more awkward three-button press.
    01-12-12 12:44 PM
    Keep holding all 3 until it reboots by itself. Yes the options come up.
    I've had the same questions as the OP, but thankfully haven't felt the need for many reboots.

I just held down all three buttons. The options did come up (very quickly), but I kept holding the buttons and it rebooted on its own without needing to select an option.
    01-12-12 01:14 PM
    KBZ are you saying hold all three buttons until the reboot starts? that means you would be holding them for over a minute based on a prior post?
    01-12-12 01:50 PM
    gcclubs, if things are working properly, holding the power button (even alone) for 10s, not releasing it when the power-off dialog shows up at the 4s mark, should be enough... if you are watching the screen in dim lighting, you should be able to see it turn the screen off immediately.

No need to hold it down for 30s.

I believe, but am not sure, that this feature is implemented around a hardware-based "watchdog" timer, or something in a secondary processor, which is able to activate the hardware RESET signal to the primary chips. If that's true, it basically cannot fail (did I miss reports of people saying they did this and nothing happened?).

For a device without a physical power switch, and no way to pull the battery, you kind of need to do it this way, with the watchdog timer.
    01-12-12 02:55 PM
    Try just the power button itself for 10s. I have yet to see anyone claim with any certainty that this doesn't do exactly the same thing as the more awkward three-button press.
    I'm with Pete; several other forums/blogs have mentioned the same thing.
    01-12-12 03:08 PM
    KBZ are you saying hold all three buttons until the reboot starts? that means you would be holding them for over a minute based on a prior post?
    Yes until the screen goes away. Sounds like holding the power button does the same thing?
    01-12-12 03:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD