I hoping someone can help me out.

I want to setup Handshake or another DVD transfer program on my Macbook Pro.

I downloaded it on my Macbook Pro but I got a message that I needed VLC so I downloaded that program but got a message that I didn't have the correct version.

I'm running a Macbook Pro OS X Version 10.5.8

I would like to be able to watch DVDs on my Playbook.

I would like to use a Program that is fairly easy to use (if one does exist).

After doing some research I have found: Handbrake, Clone2Go and Ripper DVD by Fox Real.

From what I have read so far Ripper DVD seems easy.

I would appreciate any advice on other users experience.

I don't mind paying for a program as long as works as is fairly easy to use.

Thank you.

Tom, Toronto
    01-26-12 12:04 AM
    I use Foxreal on a MacBook Pro and I can highly recommend it. They have great customer service should you need any help.
    01-26-12 12:08 AM
    I've only used handbrake to convert wvm to m4v, so i could edit them in Final Cut Pro X
    Its not overly complicated if you just watch a quick tutorial on youtube or something similar.
    Not sure why it told you to download VLC, i didn't download VLC until MUCH later after i finished my editing with FCPX.

Also OS2 adds support to mkv files. I just added a episodes of "Welcome to the NHK" in mkv format. Played just fine on my playbook.
    If im not mistaken though the video codec has to be h.264
    Last edited by I s Y s; 01-26-12 at 12:58 AM.
    01-26-12 12:47 AM
    What version of Handbrake did you download? It should be at 0.9.5.
    01-26-12 02:54 AM
    I use Pavtube. It is compatible with 10.5.x I use it for all of my blu-rays, but it will also rip DVDs as well. Plus it has a lot of devices you can format for. I searched for a very long time and found Pavtube the easiest to use.

Here is the link to the one I use: Pavtube iMedia Converter for Mac- all-in-one Blu-ray Ripper for Mac, Mac DVD Ripper, and Video Converter for Mac

I have never had an issue with it, so I can't tell you about the customer service.
    If you do a lot of ripping and want to rip to .mkv format, then they have a program called Byte Copy. Works great.

For me, I want to keep full copies of my blu-rays, and then I also want to do .mkvs for when I am traveling. So I use Orb Caster to stream from my external hard drive to my playbook. It isn't super HD, but it does get the job done.

Also, I would suggest getting Macbluray player to watch all your movies. It works awesome with everything I copy or make an .mkv of. I just Control+ click the movie and open with the player. And that is all. Easy stuff.

Hope that helps.
    01-26-12 07:33 AM
    handbrake all the way.
    its free
    its fast (if you have a quad-core machine)
    and you can transcode movies as a background process.
    01-26-12 08:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD