If I add a subtitles file to a video I convert with handbrake, will it show on the pb?
    Yes. It should play them, although I haven't tried myself, handbrake is very standards compliant and almost never has an issue with its encodes playing properly.
    ody360 likes this.
    01-13-12 05:34 PM
    Just for your info: there is a subtitle app available: MovieSRTPlayer. More flexible than hardcoding - change size, color, position....
    Are you saying HandBrake hardcodes the subs? When I encode for my AppleTV they are not hardcoded. I'll try with my playbook on a file I have already done. I just got it back from RIM and the restore is almost done.
    Last edited by CanadianThomas; 01-13-12 at 06:21 PM.
    01-13-12 06:14 PM
    Hi all, I'm new to the Blackberry Playbook but am very happy with it so far. People in the forums are saying how good Handbrake is for transferring vidoeos to the BB. Im sure its great, but it wont transfer regular DVD's right. Tried a selection of DVD's that I own with no luck. Also tried iTunes movies. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by awesome51; 01-13-12 at 06:24 PM. Reason: typo
    01-13-12 06:23 PM
    I converted a few dvds, quality wise it's ok.

I thought mac can run windows app via windows player? just asking, i don't know anything about mac.
    Well, they call it boot camp. Its a set of drivers that let you dual boot your computer with Mac OS X and Windoze. Also you can use virtualization, I use VMware, I find its great except for things with high cpu usage like encoding video, just not worth the performance hit. Its splits your computer in two so it can run the two OS's side by side. Well sort of. You probably get the idea now.
    01-13-12 06:24 PM
    Hi all, I'm new to the Blackberry Playbook but am very happy with it so far. People in the forums are saying how good Handbrake is for transferring vidoeos to the BB. Im sure its great, but it wont transfer regular DVD's right. Tried a selection of DVD's that I own with no luck. Also tried iTunes movies. Am I missing something?
    Well, on a Mac you need the VLC media player installed for HandBrake to be able to rip the DVD, maybe so on Windoze as well? Worth a try. iTunes movies you purchased? they won't play until the DRM is removed from the video file. Also, PlayBook won't play ac3 audio yet so thats something to remember.

Ask away, I have all night.
    gemma likes this.
    01-13-12 06:27 PM
    OK here they are, one is at a bit rate of 1500 for lower quality stuff like dvd and so on and the other is at a bit rate of 5000 for HD. They are both set for PlayBook full screen use:

Here is a link to a sample at 1500: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32425604/SAMPLE1500.m4v

Here is a link to a sample at 5000: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32425604/SAMPLE.m4v

When using these in Handbrake click picture settings, then click keep aspect ratio, then bring the Width of the movie to it's highest or 1024, whatever comes first. This will ensure you get the full screen video you want on your PlayBook.
    How do I import these? When I tried, I got an error that said: The Preset file you selected appears to be invalid or from an older version of HandBrake".
    01-13-12 09:27 PM
    How do I import these? When I tried, I got an error that said: The Preset file you selected appears to be invalid or from an older version of HandBrake".
    those are the sample videos, download the zip file, its the pre sets. its in the same post
    01-13-12 09:46 PM
    those are the sample videos, download the zip file, its the pre sets. its in the same post
    Bad Quote. I got the error with the two preset files from the zip. I extracted them into their own file, then used the import command within HandBrake.
    01-13-12 09:52 PM
    Bad Quote. I got the error with the two preset files from the zip. I extracted them into their own file, then used the import command within HandBrake.
    Wow, wonder why. PM me and I can email them to you. Maybe they are getting corrupted in the download?

Are you sure your handbrake is updated? Maybe thats it?
    01-13-12 10:36 PM
    I imported them without any issue. I have not tried using it though.
    01-14-12 12:09 AM
    Whats the average file sizes for the two presets?
    01-14-12 01:26 AM
    Hi - I imported the two presets from the post with no problems. I've used the 1500 successfully but not tried the 5000 one yet.
    01-14-12 05:32 AM
    Just tried the 5000 one...after 3 hours, i ended up with a M4V file which PB doesnt recognize or play...any ideas?
    01-14-12 06:44 AM
    Wow, wonder why. PM me and I can email them to you. Maybe they are getting corrupted in the download?

Are you sure your handbrake is updated? Maybe thats it?
    My HandBrake is 0.9.5. Update says no updates at this time.
    01-14-12 07:51 AM
    Just tried the 5000 one...after 3 hours, i ended up with a M4V file which PB doesnt recognize or play...any ideas?
    Eventually gave up and went with Freemake...worked like a charm with a beautiful GUI.
    01-14-12 11:09 AM
    I'll try that. I don't know why I can't import those presets.
    01-14-12 11:53 AM
    Eventually gave up and went with Freemake...worked like a charm with a beautiful GUI.
    3 hours, what is your system? it takes me 40 min to do a movie.
    01-14-12 08:20 PM
    I'll try that. I don't know why I can't import those presets.
    I had no problem importing the presets. I simply (i) downloaded the zip file; (ii) extracted it to my desktop using WinZip; (iii) opened Handbrake; (iv) select "Presets" from the top menu row of commands within Handbrake; (v) then selected "Import"; (vi) then browsed to where the zip files were extractedl (vii) selected the presets (one at a time); (viii) pressed "ok"; and Handbrake imported it.

On the right hand side of Handbrake, where all of the different Presets are listed, you will see the two imported presets listed.

I'm just converting a movie now with it.
    Chaddface likes this.
    01-14-12 08:24 PM
    Now that I have some free time I was going to ask what program I should use to look at those files. You saved Tom a PM. Going to try now.
    01-14-12 09:12 PM
    Well, on a Mac you need the VLC media player installed for HandBrake to be able to rip the DVD, maybe so on Windoze as well? Worth a try. iTunes movies you purchased? they won't play until the DRM is removed from the video file. Also, PlayBook won't play ac3 audio yet so thats something to remember.

Ask away, I have all night.
    You want DVD Decrypter on Windows. Accept no substitutes. It rips the DVD -- any DVD -- to a folder, then you aim Handbrake at that folder.
    01-14-12 10:25 PM
    bb desktop manager will do it for you. it has worked fine for me :s
    01-15-12 02:22 AM
    OK here they are, one is at a bit rate of 1500 for lower quality stuff like dvd and so on and the other is at a bit rate of 5000 for HD. They are both set for PlayBook full screen use:

Here is a link to a sample at 1500: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32425604/SAMPLE1500.m4v

Here is a link to a sample at 5000: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32425604/SAMPLE.m4v

When using these in Handbrake click picture settings, then click keep aspect ratio, then bring the Width of the movie to it's highest or 1024, whatever comes first. This will ensure you get the full screen video you want on your PlayBook.
    Canadian Thomas: Got the presets in zipped file but before importing them to Handbrake got a message box asking if I wanted to export them unencrypted. Does this make a difference since it appears I would not have been able import them as encrypted. I'm using Win 7. Sorry if question is elementary but I'm a PB "noob".

Thanks - appreciate the help.
    01-15-12 02:40 AM
    3 hours, what is your system? it takes me 40 min to do a movie.
    I'm working with one of my 37GiG Blue-ray sources. You would take 40 mins to crunch through that? Must be running a beast of a machine. I have an i5 with 4GB ram.
    01-15-12 04:13 AM
    A few of points from my own trial and error using Handbrake for OS 2.0.0.6149:
    - keeping files in the MKV container (if they are already in it) yields greater success than convertaing to M4V/MP4. I had plenty of files that wouldn't play on the PB after conversion and I thought, why not try keeping them in MKV now that OS 2.0 supports it? Hey presto many now work.
    - Instead of two audio tracks (stereo and 5.1) I just go with one Dolby Pro Logic II track, which works on the PB and is decent if using HDMI to your home theatre.
    - I have a NAS (Netgear Stora) that I can dowload from using the PB browser (flash). The downloads from this are very fast and much faster than either WiFi or USB file transfer... go figure.
    - After downloading if I try to launch the video file from the browser I will often see a "can't find default application error", I think this may be because it isn't aware of the MKV extension support. If I go the Video player they launch from there fine but I can't seek through the larger files, I get "An error has occurred. Please try again".

Anyway, just some of my experiences. Not perfect but I can get almost anything to play now. I'm hoping the official OS 2.0 release cleans up some of the bugs!
    Last edited by tofo17; 01-15-12 at 04:17 AM.
    01-15-12 04:14 AM
    You want DVD Decrypter on Windows. Accept no substitutes. It rips the DVD -- any DVD -- to a folder, then you aim Handbrake at that folder.
    Why do you rip it first HB will work with source files from a DVD.
    01-15-12 04:32 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD