I know that several people have used HandBrake to convert DVDs to PB format but has anybody got the definitive settings for HandBrake (DVD converter) that will give a full screen video output for the PB?

I've used the 'Normal' and 'High Profile' presets but neither results in full screen playback on the PB. Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers
    01-13-12 07:33 AM
    Is there a black border near the edge of the screen?
    01-13-12 08:06 AM
    I would imagine it will depend on the nature of the actual video. If you try to fill the screen with an image that is not sized to naturally fill the screen, it will either stretch it in one direction or the other giving tall, skinny people, or wide, fat people or move stuff at the sides or top of the picture off the screen.
    01-13-12 09:24 AM
    i just use the default Ipad settings and it works fine for me..no issue with black bars anywhere.
    01-13-12 09:33 AM
    I have a few presets made for the playbook. I'll post as soon as my son has his breakfast.
    Last edited by CanadianThomas; 01-13-12 at 11:04 AM.
    01-13-12 09:44 AM
    @MrLynd54 - yes, black bars on each side of screen but not at top or bottom.
    @Urbnimports - will try the iPad setting.
    @CanadianT - great, any help will be appreciated.

Regards
    01-13-12 10:10 AM
    It is, most likely, the format of the video source. I too use the Ipad settings and have no problems with 16:9 DVD rips filling the screen as well as bars on the side of my old 4:3 Wonder Woman collection.
    Again is the format of the source that will determine this.
    Handbrake works well with every video format that I have tried.
    Just my nickel's worth.
    01-13-12 10:15 AM
    OK here they are, one is at a bit rate of 1500 for lower quality stuff like dvd and so on and the other is at a bit rate of 5000 for HD. They are both set for PlayBook full screen use:

Here is a link to a sample at 1500: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32425604/SAMPLE1500.m4v

Here is a link to a sample at 5000: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32425604/SAMPLE.m4v

When using these in Handbrake click picture settings, then click keep aspect ratio, then bring the Width of the movie to it's highest or 1024, whatever comes first. This will ensure you get the full screen video you want on your PlayBook.
    Last edited by CanadianThomas; 01-13-12 at 11:11 AM.
    01-13-12 11:06 AM
    Would the lower bitrate still look good on a HDTV?
    01-13-12 11:13 AM
    Would the lower bitrate still look good on a HDTV?
    Yes, but depending on the video. For Action, SciFi, Fantasy or anything with great visuals I would go to the 5000 setting. But its a personal thing. Some people want the best video quality and some only need good enough. Best to try the samples and see for yourself.

You could also use the 5000 setting and bring the resolution/width up to 1280 or 1920 if the source is good enough. Its a waste on the PlayBook its self as it will just scale it down to its own resolution but for output on to a HDTV, its real cool.
    Chaddface likes this.
    01-13-12 11:46 AM
    ive tried various settings but my videos always come out pixelated & boxy (tiny little squares all over the screen) not sure what im doing wrong.
    01-13-12 11:49 AM
    I forgot to add. These presets are set up to have dual audio. 1 surround sound track, for times when you have one, and one stereo track, for the PlayBook. This way they are also very usable from computer/set top box to home theatre.
    01-13-12 11:52 AM
    ive tried various settings but my videos always come out pixelated & boxy (tiny little squares all over the screen) not sure what im doing wrong.
    Try downloading and importing my pre sets (see my post above) into HandBrake and give it a try. I think it will help you. try the samples I posted and see, they look great on the PlayBook. You should be able to watch them right from the PlayBook.
    CGSCOT likes this.
    01-13-12 11:52 AM
    Why not try freemake Freemake | Best Freeware Alternatives To Paid Video Software it even have the option for blackberry and free
    CanadianThomas and MrLynd54 like this.
    01-13-12 11:57 AM
    Why not try freemake Freemake | Best Freeware Alternatives To Paid Video Software it even have the option for blackberry and free
    Looks OK, but I would have to see the quality it can produce as HandBrake is very good. Also that software is Windoze only and I use a Mac. Might be OK for others though as it has the preset for the PlayBook.
    01-13-12 12:11 PM
    Azrin,

I've tried Freemake with the playbook preset on a few of my DVDs, however the results are somewhat choppy. Have to noticed anything issues with PB playback or have you made any changes to the freemake playbook preset?

I love the UI in freemake vs handbrake.
    01-13-12 12:16 PM
    Try downloading and importing my pre sets (see my post above) into HandBrake and give it a try. I think it will help you. try the samples I posted and see, they look great on the PlayBook. You should be able to watch them right from the PlayBook.
    just did a quick test with a small dvd chapter & works perfectly. Will try a full dvd tonight

Thank You for your help & settings info.
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-13-12 12:45 PM
    just did a quick test with a small dvd chapter & works perfectly. Will try a full dvd tonight

Thank You for your help & settings info.

No problem. If you want to fine tune things later pm me. I can always find a few minutes to help

BB 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-13-12 12:47 PM
    Thanks CanadianT - have imported the presets and am encoding as we speak.

Thank you for your help!
    01-13-12 12:48 PM
    I use the Normal preset in Handbrake. 720p, aspect ratio preserved. All .mp4 files to ensure compatibility across USB sticks, DLNA, Kindle Fires, BBs and the PB. The three dozen or so DVDs I've converted this way all look great.
    01-13-12 01:49 PM
    I converted a few dvds, quality wise it's ok.

I thought mac can run windows app via windows player? just asking, i don't know anything about mac.
    01-13-12 02:44 PM
    If I add a subtitles file to a video I convert with handbrake, will it show on the pb?
    01-13-12 02:49 PM
    Handbrake FTW!!!!
    01-13-12 03:18 PM
    @CanadianT - presets work just fine. Thanks again. If you ever visit the UK I'll buy you a pint! Cheers
    01-13-12 04:22 PM
    If I add a subtitles file to a video I convert with handbrake, will it show on the pb?
    Just for your info: there is a subtitle app available: MovieSRTPlayer. More flexible than hardcoding - change size, color, position....
    CanadianThomas and ody360 like this.
    01-13-12 05:12 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD