Hi everyone,

I've been mulling over the decision to purchase a Blackberry Playbook for the past week and after reading a bunch of reviews/forums, I'm still undecided. I was wondering if you guys can help me.

So I'm new to the Blackberry community - I'm basically a big Apple fanatic (iPhone, MacBook, iPad) and it made sense to keep going back simply because everything linked together. However, my iPhone is on its last leg (buttons barely work, contract is ending) and I'm considering switching it up to maybe a new phone. Anyhow, since I'm going to be changing phones, I thought it might be nice to change tablets too. Apple charges an arm and a leg for everything .

Blackberry has been my top decision because of its cheap price. I currently have an iPad 2, which I don't use for much other than browsing the internet, reading eBooks (Kobo), and Candy Crush (LOL).

I'm looking at buying a brand new 16GB Playbook for $90 + $20 (for shipping/handling/customs). What are your thoughts?

Also, sometimes there are online videos that cannot be played on the iPad - will I be able to play these on the PB?

Thanks in advanced!
    07-18-14 09:19 PM
    IMO no a playbook isnt worth getting in 2014. Its not going to get updates so things are going to be outdated (flash being the biggest problem) and you can get much better tablets out there for a little more money
    flyingsolid likes this.
    07-18-14 09:31 PM
    Nooooooopeee, a cheap android tablet would be much better, trust me.
    flyingsolid likes this.
    07-18-14 09:32 PM
    It depends to a great extent on your requirements and expectations. If you check the Amazon website you'll find that the overwhelming majority of reviews are positive and many of the most recent buyers rate their purchase as "5 Star". I'd recommend a 32 or 64gb model and pair it with a Z30 when your phone contract expires!
    rdm101 and extisis like this.
    07-18-14 09:47 PM
    I have a cheap android tablet. It's called a Kindle Fire HD (current version) and it is not much better than my Playbook. In fact, in many ways, my Playbook is much better than my Fire, and for many people, the Playbook would be a better choice than the Fire. Everything depends on what you want to do with it. For Cany Crush, get the Fire, otherwise, well...........
    anon(8719892) likes this.
    07-18-14 09:53 PM
    Regardless of the ridiculously low price you can get this for, I don't think it is worth getting in 2014. It is old technology that is no longer being supported so I don't see any incentive to get it. I mean, maybe if you found one for 20 bucks
    07-18-14 09:55 PM
    I just bought a 64 GB nearly new Playbook and I love it for audio, video, email, chatting, etc. It pairs up nicely via bluetooth with my Q10 phone, and handles email, calendar, etc, very well. I installed the Origami browser on it, which is superior to the PB native browser. Even so, surfing the web is slow. But if I store music and video files directly on the Playbook, everything runs very smoothly, and the 7" screen is the perfect size. No complaints or regrets here.

IMO no a playbook isnt worth getting in 2014. Its not going to get updates so things are going to be outdated (flash being the biggest problem) and you can get much better tablets out there for a little more money
    07-19-14 01:58 AM
    What is the maximum price you guys would pay for a 32gb PB?

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-19-14 02:08 AM
    What is the maximum price you guys would pay for a 32gb PB?

Posted via CrackBerry App
    If you're in the UK you can pick up a 4g LTE in Ebay brand new for 86 British pounds including P&P!!! 4g drops to 3g UK micro sim mobile network. Post before this one said everything is great, but 'browser is slow'. Believe me...the Browser is FAST on the 4g LTE. In fact the 1.5 GHz Processor speeds everything up!! The BlackBerry PlayBook Has great Apps, can also run some popular sideload Apps and has everything apart from some fad apps.

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    07-19-14 04:11 AM
    The only thing that it has that is really worth getting it for now is Bridge, even in its crippled BB10 state. If that's very valuable to you, then great.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 07:54 AM
    I just got a 64gb wifi one recently and love it, I might actually sell my ipad 3rd gen to get a z30 until my upgrade .. the one I have can be slow but not to an annoying extent .. mainly using it for media consumption so music (Neutron which I have on my Z30) and movies/tv shows..

as said above it depends on your need.. I love bridge and in terms of support there are rumours of something on the way ( but I wouldn't use that as part of your decision) ..

browse the forums and you'll find some creative people making great use of it !
    Ragbert likes this.
    07-19-14 07:54 AM
    You just have to know what you are getting. The web browsing is slow and can be erratic (be sure to download and use Origami and not the BB Browser). Emails deleted come off your server so be sure you have them opened somewhere else before you delete on the PB. And its heavier to hold than an android Tablet (I've had a Fire and two Nexus). Camera is only 5.0 so not kind of tool.

BUT...I love my 32gb used one (late model, little wear when I got it this spring off Ebay). Terrific (I use that word deliberately) sound quality. "Beats" hand down the BEAT Speakers on my media laptop so I keep it on my desk. Picture is outstanding (Nexus was awful). And on my recent air flight to and from Alaska from NY, it was my movie watching, game playing friend. Still figuring out how to do Hotspot WiFi from my Bold and Q10 phones. And the browser is enough for that little bit of web surfing/news reading in bed at the end of the day.

So just be careful how much you pay (I did $75 and price is dropping if you look around). And enjoy.

PS...two last thoughts...you're not getting an iPad so don't expect it to compete feature to feature. And all the while you use it you'll be struck by the messed up management decisions of BB in how they set the Playbook up, rolled it out, and then failed to execute a potentially powerful and pleasing tool. Its a walking case study in mismanagement and missed opportunities. Too bad...what a great device it could have been.
    07-19-14 11:50 AM
    Lol.. I was feeling sad about the smaller screen of playbook vs my ipad , then I remembered one of those has HDMI out..

Check Out TechCraze
    Ragbert likes this.
    07-19-14 02:49 PM
    Hi and welcome to CB. You need to think things through carefully. If you still want a PlayBook I would recommend the updated 4g sim version. This only came in a 32gb version. I have both the original and updated PlayBooks and the 4g one is noticeably faster and more powerful. Even the browser is better I find but I prefer the origami browser. It holds the BB Bridge connection better too. A downside is the battery does not last as long as the wifi only original PB. As mentioned earlier it is outdated so for example the cameras don't compare to today's devices. The PlayBook OS is great. Unfortunately it feels uncompleted and never achieved its huge potential. As an aside ;you should be able to replace the broken button on your iphone. You can buy the parts and repair kit online. Instructions are available on YouTube. Good luck with your choices. Let us know what you decide.
    07-19-14 04:05 PM
    I would say look for 32 or 64GB at that price. It's all about what you are looking to do. I use my Playbook on a daily basis. Is it up to par with other technology out there? Definitely not but it is very suitable for my needs, and it even offers some things modern-day tablets don't a la HDMI (huge +).

Posted via my Z10: 10.2.1.3253
    07-19-14 06:01 PM
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to echo what other people are saying here.... Don't do it
    07-19-14 06:09 PM
    It definitely depends what you are looking for. I just bought my 4th 64 gb for $90.00 on Ebay for my 14 year old daughter. It is lightly used. Both of our daughters download YouTube movies and watch ESPN, Disney and ABC with our Verizon account. They also listen to music on it. I also watch VH1 and CNN on it. Word, Powerpoint and Excel are also nice for work.

If you get one, be sure to get the 64gb.
    Ragbert and JJCC30Hwd like this.
    07-19-14 09:12 PM
    It definitely depends what you are looking for. I just bought my 4th 64 gb for $90.00 on Ebay for my 14 year old daughter. It is lightly used. Both of our daughters download YouTube movies and watch ESPN, Disney and ABC with our Verizon account. They also listen to music on it. I also watch VH1 and CNN on it. Word, Powerpoint and Excel are also nice for work.

If you get one, be sure to get the 64gb.
    Your daughters watch Espn? Huh... interesting

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 09:26 PM
    Thanks everyone for your replies - you've certainly given me a lot to think about!

I guess the general consensus is unless I'm getting a pretty good deal on the Playbook, I should just forego it and go for a cheap Android tablet? Seeing everyone's past purchases, it would seem that the 16GB wifi Playbook for $110 isn't that great of a deal. I think I'll try looking into a 32GB or 64GB for around that price range and if I can't find it, I'll look for a different tablet.

It's a shame that there's no support for the BB PB anymore as I've heard great things about it as a device for a business professional - I'm just recently graduated from college and thought it would make the perfect gift for myself since I start work soon and my job requires a fair bit of travelling.
    07-20-14 01:05 AM
    I love and still use my PlayBook daily.
    But my go to tablet has been the Asus Nexus 7 - 2013.

The PlayBook has a great OS and has amazing multitasking capabilities over even the newest tablets on the market today.
    The browser is slower, there will be no more OS updates, it is heavier than most tablets, and the camera is only 5 Mega pixel. But the sound this PlayBook gives off is incredible.

Is it worth it.... Maybe if you are not interested in tons of apps, and slightly slower browser. Sure... But I would purchase a Nexus 7.
    07-20-14 02:47 AM
    Get an android tablet. Any other response is just not logical.
    07-20-14 10:00 AM
    Get an android tablet. Any other response is just not logical.

Check Out TechCraze
    Ragbert and Fire In The Bones like this.
    07-20-14 10:09 AM
    I got a cheap Android..... Not impressed at all. Total waste of money except it showed me that it will take some major bucks to replace the PlayBook. I'll use it for another year or two and then see what has happened. I'm sure that the tablet beats the laptop for couch browsing and movies. HDMI is a real plus also. PlayBook is a good deal for what you get for your money right now but it will continue to slip away. Just my opinion.
    07-20-14 10:43 PM
    BTW cheap android tab means something of a name brand. Not some $80 tab with no google play access and 4 GB of storage. You can get a nook HD+, kindle fire or a nexus tab for under 160 and they should suite most peoples needs easily
    07-20-14 10:52 PM
    No matter how you slice it, the PlayBook is an almost 3 1/2 year old tablet that's no longer officially supported. I can't really recommend anyone buy a tablet that old, BlackBerry or not. Right now I think the best bang for the buck tablet is the Nexus 7. The feel of the device is somewhat reminiscent of the PlayBook (7" form factor, soft touch back, stereo speakers), and it's guaranteed to get the latest Android OS updates for a while.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-21-14 12:12 AM
53 123