He's a Mac through and through, iPhone, iPod, MacBook, iCould, iTunes... But he just couldn't let go of my PlayBook!

He was impressed with the specs, apps (games for the most part), Bridge and remote control... Every now and then he would ask how much he could get one for.

If only RIM could get their marketing together...
    07-01-12 09:57 PM
    That was a really nice iStory... Have him get it anyway!
    07-01-12 10:01 PM
    iOS feels so basic compared to the PlayBook's OS. Every time I'm on my PlayBook and then use my iPod touch, I feel like I'm stepping backwards....
    Puddin13 and robkd like this.
    07-01-12 10:13 PM
    My boys run iPods in our household - but jump onto my PlayBook every chance they get. Guess they aren't following the media
    Last edited by BB_makes_it_happen; 07-01-12 at 11:03 PM.
    SK122387, Cracklen and Puddin13 like this.
    07-01-12 10:53 PM
    My boys run iPods in our household - but jump onto my PlayBook every chance they get. Guess they aren't following the media
    Smart kids!
    Puddin13 likes this.
    07-01-12 11:12 PM
    That's not falling in love. He doesn't own one hence you did nothing. That's the current model of rims marketing. Plant seeds, nobody buys.
    07-02-12 12:18 AM
    Wow. Every thread i go to the same person keeps pi__ing on anything positive. Sheesh. I thought you said bye 2weeks ago! Get a life.
    07-02-12 12:24 AM
    That's not falling in love. He doesn't own one hence you did nothing. That's the current model of rims marketing. Plant seeds, nobody buys.
    Story of your love life buddy.
    Speedygi and sectionsix like this.
    07-02-12 09:56 AM
    Wow. Every thread i go to the same person keeps pi__ing on anything positive. Sheesh. I thought you said bye 2weeks ago! Get a life.
    Yeah, and I'll flat out say its Rangrfan in case anyone didn't get the clue yet
    Pdinos3 likes this.
    07-02-12 11:26 AM
    I am an longtime iPhone user and own and love my Playbook. Doesn't stop me from getting called a sheep, robot, and every other name under the sun for owning an Apple product on this forum though lol. I am sure there are more of us around, but this forum can be unwelcoming at times.
    Last edited by torndownunit; 07-02-12 at 01:59 PM.
    07-02-12 11:38 AM
    I am an longtime iPhone user and own and love my Playbook. Doesn't stop me from getting called a sheep, robot, and every other name under the sun for owning an Apple product on this forum though lol. I am sure there are more of us around, but this forum can be unwelcoming at times.
    Shun him/her/it. Unclean. Yikes, really an iphone and you admitted it! Just kidding. Some of my, well, okay, not BEST, friends have them! But my sister does.
    07-02-12 02:59 PM
    Wanna know the easiest way to "blow away" an iPad/iPhone user with the Playbook?

Start some music or a movie, turn the speakers up and just hand it over to them.

The SPEAKERS on the Playbook are one of it's best features to me, and every iPad/iPod/iPhone user I've met who hears it laments the poor, low-volume speakers of their iDevices. It's almost universal that the external speakers on an Apple device are going to suck. Bad.

(And I'm a Mac user at work and home, and have owned iPods and iPhones galore.)

**Edited to add:

Then ask them to turn the volume up or down, and show them the hardware playback controls on the top of the Playbook.... ANOTHER fantastic feature. If you've ever tried to adjust the volume of the Kindle Fire which lacks hardware controls, you know what a terrible experience that is. I mean, I love minimal design as much as the next Apple user, but the volume rockers and playback controls on the Playbook are wonderful examples of making hardware controls extremely usable while equally 'beautiful" and out-of-the-way.
    Last edited by look_alive; 07-02-12 at 03:13 PM.
    07-02-12 03:08 PM
    Agreed! PlayBook speakers rock!
    07-02-12 03:41 PM
    Double agreed!!

Sometimes I forget the buttons are there, the whole design of the PlayBook is very functional yet it's not cumbersome to use.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    07-02-12 04:08 PM
    Like I always said, the form factor and design of the PB is far superior compared to any other tablet out there. However, the lagging app ecosystem is what hurting it. That and the notion that nowadays anything BB is old fashion and everything else is trendy.
    07-02-12 04:47 PM
    Wanna know the easiest way to "blow away" an iPad/iPhone user with the Playbook?

Start some music or a movie, turn the speakers up and just hand it over to them.

The SPEAKERS on the Playbook are one of it's best features to me, and every iPad/iPod/iPhone user I've met who hears it laments the poor, low-volume speakers of their iDevices. It's almost universal that the external speakers on an Apple device are going to suck. Bad.

(And I'm a Mac user at work and home, and have owned iPods and iPhones galore.)

**Edited to add:

Then ask them to turn the volume up or down, and show them the hardware playback controls on the top of the Playbook.... ANOTHER fantastic feature. If you've ever tried to adjust the volume of the Kindle Fire which lacks hardware controls, you know what a terrible experience that is. I mean, I love minimal design as much as the next Apple user, but the volume rockers and playback controls on the Playbook are wonderful examples of making hardware controls extremely usable while equally 'beautiful" and out-of-the-way.
    I totally agree 100% on the speakers.... but then I go to try to download and play my podcasts and am reminded how horrible the Playbook's podcast app is lol. The Podcast app is one of the many cases where the hardware is great, but the apps don't capitalize on it. And, you don't have many options as far as 3rd party choices.
    Last edited by torndownunit; 07-02-12 at 05:21 PM.
    07-02-12 05:17 PM
    The speakers have the best fidelity of all mobile devices on the market right now. RIM did stress on them when they designed it. However it needs to be louder and have more range. It's too loud at its lowest.

The Playbook still has mediocre battery life when playing media.
    07-02-12 06:48 PM
    iOS feels so basic compared to the PlayBook's OS. Every time I'm on my PlayBook and then use my iPod touch, I feel like I'm stepping backwards....
    I know. iOS really isn't that impressive. I really like the PlayBook OS, and I am a huge fan of all the swiping gestures. The PlayBook is no doubt the best tablet for multitasking. But yes, RIM has done a horrible job at marketing. They only market the Bold. Cmon, there are 3 other models (including a full touchscreen model barely anyone knows about) including the PlayBook that RIM has failed to let the world know about.
    07-02-12 07:35 PM
    He'll be in the US by the end of the month on his way home.

Let's see what happens then.

I barely can use my device, so, HE IS IN LOVE.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    07-09-12 04:33 PM
    I know. iOS really isn't that impressive. I really like the PlayBook OS, and I am a huge fan of all the swiping gestures. The PlayBook is no doubt the best tablet for multitasking. But yes, RIM has done a horrible job at marketing. They only market the Bold. Cmon, there are 3 other models (including a full touchscreen model barely anyone knows about) including the PlayBook that RIM has failed to let the world know about.
    I also love the PB OS, and love showing it off to friends and family.

You mentioned the full touchscreen model getting little notice. I've had it for about 2 months now. Love love LOVE it. No button problems (that was one of the big issues in the 9850/9860 forum). Works so well with my PB. I gush, sorry. Can't understand why you don't see more of them out there. Even Rogers here in Canada has dropped them from their list of available units.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-09-12 05:24 PM
    OP has your friend bought a playbook yet then ?
    07-10-12 07:08 AM
    OK, let's face the reality. OP, what does your friend like about your PB, besides the hardware and OS?

Everyone who tried (for a short period of time) PB do get impressed with two things - hardware, and OS. Once you get past the initial *positive* impression, there's not much else that will impress you. Besides now the decent selection of apps (mostly games), other productivity and business apps you find on other platforms are nowhere to be found.. that has been the biggest problem thus far..

If you think the better performance of the stereo speakers is the biggest advantage, enough said..
    07-10-12 08:34 AM
    OK, let's face the reality. OP, what does your friend like about your PB, besides the hardware and OS?

Everyone who tried (for a short period of time) PB do get impressed with two things - hardware, and OS. Once you get past the initial *positive* impression, there's not much else that will impress you. Besides now the decent selection of apps (mostly games), other productivity and business apps you find on other platforms are nowhere to be found.. that has been the biggest problem thus far..

If you think the better performance of the stereo speakers is the biggest advantage, enough said..
    "Let's face the reality?" Really?

Okay... Reality... Reality is we have a native office suite, which he was quite pleased to use. He was also happy about predictive text. He can't have enough of the games. He was really impressed with the calendar and contacts app. So cut the trolling with the "let's face the reality".

I never mentioned speakers btw. Are they better than Apple's? Yet another positive point. Thanks for the info.

And you know what? I am still happy with my PB! It doesn't need to surprise me every day!

EDIT: How is lack of apps in any way the device's fault or any reason not to be impressed with a fully working PlayBook? Blame devs on that. Get your argument ts together...

OP has your friend bought a playbook yet then ?
    Has the end of the month come yet? And even then, he may not have cash stashed to buy it. I do hope he does though.

Yep. Typed it all on my PB, in case any of you are wondering...
    Last edited by diegonei; 07-11-12 at 01:10 PM.
    world saviour and kbz1960 like this.
    07-11-12 01:03 PM
    Must have missed that part. .
    diegonei likes this.
    07-11-12 01:07 PM
    "Let's face the reality?" Really?

Okay... Reality... Reality is we have a native office suite, which he was quite pleased to use. He was also happy about predictive text. He can't have enough of the games. He was really impressed with the calendar and contacts app. So cut the trolling with the "let's face the reality".

I never mentioned speakers btw. Are they better than Apple's? Yet another positive point. Thanks for the info.

And you know what? I am still happy with my PB! It doesn't need to surprise me every day!

EDIT: How is lack of apps in any way the device's fault or any reason not to be impressed with a fully working PlayBook? Blame devs on that. Get your argument ts together...

Has the end of the month come yet? And even then, he may not have cash stashed to buy it. I do hope he does though.

Yep. Typed it all on my PB, in case any of you are wondering...
    There are lots of apps that come with PB, Office suite perhaps is the most useful of bunch, but they are still not enough to make PB a suitable tool to replace laptops at work.

"Blame devs", what will you achieve with that? Should iPhone owners "praise devs" for bringing lots of apps on that platform? The bottom line is the apps situation isn't going to improve unless RIM does something, and they haven't done things well or enough, which is what's killing PB business.

Let your friend try to use PB at work for a couple of months, and lets here what he has to say about that after. Personally, I no longer recommend this device to any of my friends although I still keep mine. Most of my colleagues who purchased theirs when I purchased mine have stopped using it at work - big part of that is the WPA2 enterprise wifi issue that RIM doesn't seem to be interested in fixing it.
    07-11-12 01:39 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD