We really have to do our research and not depend on what we are used to.
    I use auto-on/off every day to save battery life. My wife uses auto-on/off and the alarm every day.
    These are things I never even thought I would have to verify if I were to get a new Blackberry.

I understand your frustration with the crippled BB10 Bridge a little better now.
    I ended up with the Z10 because my Bold was damaged at a client premises. Repairing it would have cost more than just getting the new device and I reasoned that the "old" OS would be made an orphan soon, so better to go with the new.

As you say in this post, it never occurred to me that many of the most basic features of the old device would be missing.

Auto on and off - I used it all the time.

The alarm function - relied on when travelling, but with the new device, there is no auto off and if you turn the device off, you are turning it OFF - which means no alarms. Sure you can still have an alarm but it's about an 5 step active process now, instead of just setting the alarm and knowing it will get done.

Lots of silly little frustrations that really make you just shake your head.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-25-13 03:20 PM
    Well said. And the fanboys will say - move on. They miss the point that niche products get niche 3rd party support. Chicken-egg situation.

I've been reading the q10 forum (not much interested in the z10) and each time somone from OS7 asks where a feature is, they are met with: "This is bb10 and is a new platform so you should not expect it to contain x, y, z". But Rim has always provided x, y, z and there's no reason that a new platform can't contain OLD features - like profiles with different alerts, auto-on/off, an alarm that wakes even an OFF q10 as well as the other x, y z functions. These old "features" provided options and many folks liked those options and folks who don't want them can either ignore them if they are provided or turn them off.

So, what, we have another OS that is more like i and a? I guess BB thinks those other platforms are more successful and they are. So now we have compromise. Maybe they will be successful like those others. Time will tell.
    It's always been a wonderment to me as well when you "UPGRADE" your handset just to find that it has less functionality than your "OLDER" handset. You upgrade your bb expecting new bb functions that are going to wow you, just to find you have actually upgraded to bb very bad imitation of a DROID phone which is exactly what my Z10 is. Well I suppose this is what you get when you have heinz sight of the future!!!!!!

I wonder if he could give us some advanced information on whether the titanic will be a successful investment for us?
    05-25-13 03:22 PM
    We really have to do our research and not depend on what we are used to.
    I use auto-on/off every day to save battery life. My wife uses auto-on/off and the alarm every day.
    These are things I never even thought I would have to verify if I were to get a new Blackberry.

I understand your frustration with the crippled BB10 Bridge a little better now.
    The way some of the FANS discuss these types of issues are "What do you expect - this is a new and improved OS. Why would you want those old features?" It is as if those old features were like stone tablets and styli and HAD to be eliminated to get the new OS. BS - someone really is crazy. Or Rim really surveyed and found 1% used some of these features. I guess very few really turn off their modern cell phones. I am almost left speechless (although, with my post count, not likely!!!!) But, you are right - I would never have thought auto on/off would be eliminated. And I guess once you eliminate that, then no one needs an Alarm to actually re-awaken the phone. And why have different profiles for different emails or callers and and and.....
    sad_old_man and cmdr_dan like this.
    05-25-13 04:42 PM
    Many of posts have been very negative to BlackBerry, that is a function of how I am feeling about the company, and the product since I became a Z10 user.

If this is an example of the best, I don't hold out much hope.

For all its weaknesses my Bold was a better device.

Posted via CB10
    The best phone I had was the original Bold. I loved it....Still must be in a drawer someplace. I guess BB started to get either complacent or sloppy after this phone.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-25-13 07:35 PM
    The way some of the FANS discuss these types of issues are "What do you expect - this is a new and improved OS. Why would you want those old features?" It is as if those old features were like stone tablets and styli and HAD to be eliminated to get the new OS. BS - someone really is crazy. Or Rim really surveyed and found 1% used some of these features. I guess very few really turn off their modern cell phones. I am almost left speechless (although, with my post count, not likely!!!!) But, you are right - I would never have thought auto on/off would be eliminated. And I guess once you eliminate that, then no one needs an Alarm to actually re-awaken the phone. And why have different profiles for different emails or callers and and and.....
    I've got to do some more research on these BB10 devices.
    I can still get a Bold 9900, I may be better off with that.

I have always found BB (RIM) to be a bit flaky when it comes to repeating a good thing.
    They released the Theme Studio for OS6 and it was great. A little unfinished but very helpful for theme builders. They took so long to release a version for OS7 that we don't care any more.
    They had a low vision theme for OS5 but never released low vision themes for any OS after that. I guess they assumed people with low vision would see that new devices had been released.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-26-13 10:43 PM
    I've got to do some more research on these BB10 devices.
    I can still get a Bold 9900, I may be better off with that.

I have always found BB (RIM) to be a bit flaky when it comes to repeating a good thing.
    They released the Theme Studio for OS6 and it was great. A little unfinished but very helpful for theme builders. They took so long to release a version for OS7 that we don't care any more.
    They had a low vision theme for OS5 but never released low vision themes for any OS after that. I guess they assumed people with low vision would see that new devices had been released.
    I have been following the q10 and not really the z10. Folks are either shocked that certain features were dropped or missing (I guess there's a 30 limit to email) as well as those mentioned above or folks are raving at those folks suggesting that who needs that stuff. Folks defend the new OS since it is more like Apple/Android which is what has been appealing to consumers or attacking it for abandoning what was unieque and special.

I don't think it will be resolved soon. What is interesting is the "speculation" (once again), that some of this will obviously come once rim/bbry has time to develop the OS more. Where have I heard that before. So, if I read into this, BB20 will definitely be coming soon and will be available for all pb's, ahem, I mean BB10 devices. Yeah, sure, you betcha!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-26-13 11:15 PM
    I have been following the q10 and not really the z10. Folks are either shocked that certain features were dropped or missing (I guess there's a 30 limit to email) as well as those mentioned above or folks are raving at those folks suggesting that who needs that stuff. Folks defend the new OS since it is more like Apple/Android which is what has been appealing to consumers or attacking it for abandoning what was unieque and special.

I don't think it will be resolved soon. What is interesting is the "speculation" (once again), that some of this will obviously come once rim/bbry has time to develop the OS more. Where have I heard that before. So, if I read into this, BB20 will definitely be coming soon and will be available for all pb's, ahem, I mean BB10 devices. Yeah, sure, you betcha!
    Just what I've been saying all along F2. Now where have we seen that 30 day limit on mail before, oh I know on our pb's! I don't understand how people can't understand that the pb has had bb10 since day 1 and although a few tweaks are still required the majority of the bb10 functionality in the pb OS just needs activating. You are also correct in stating that the bb10 handsets are now just like the iPhone/Droid handsets. BB have removed most of what separated their handsets from the competition and this has just caused them one major problem. Now that the bb10 handset competes on the same level as it's main rivals its major flaw is that it's just not good enough to stand against them. Given RIM's ability to react to anything, users will be buying iPhone 14s and Samsung 11s before bb10 is fully functional.
    Tazos and FF22 like this.
    05-27-13 06:28 AM
    The forums are there for everyone to read. I get berated for saying the Z10 is crap which it is. But people even on here tell me I'm a troll for saying it and this is a pb forum?

In my opinion for what it's worth, bb10 is one of two things and only one of these apply. Thors attempt to make the company more resellable, or another half baked knee jerk reaction to market pressure that makes them release a half finished OS yet again.

Just show me one! Positive review of bb10 from any of the high tech gadget review sites on the Internet and there are hundreds of them. It reads like the normal child's school report, "shows a lot of promise but could do better"!

Oh and we are all desperate to get it on our pb? Mind you it will keep the fanboys active slagging everyone off for not saying it's wonderful when/if it arrives !

Posted via CB10
    hey I resent that. I with Kevin on this one indomt want all of bb10 on my playbook I agree with his article
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-27-13 06:39 AM
    hey I resent that. I with Kevin on this one indomt want all of bb10 on my playbook I agree with his article
    You been in my cellar again?
    05-27-13 06:44 AM
    Just follow the trail of the pasties crust.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-27-13 06:46 AM
    Just follow the trail of the pasties crust.
    You following me?
    05-27-13 06:49 AM
    You following me?
    Don't worry I won't sit beside your bed to pronounce your ultimate demise :P
    Besides, It's never you, It's the pasties you silly old bugger.
    Now serve them up!!
    05-27-13 07:05 AM
    I wish hell at this point id want nothing more than the bb10 keyboard I absolutely LOTHE this thing
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-27-13 07:07 AM
    You following me?
    I'm following... this thread like I took a hit of acid. Interesting posts, and you all (especially sad_old_man) crack me up. Not what I expected on CB, but what can I say, I'm new here. I love my Z10, but I respect your opinions, and actually appreciate the feedback that's not all fanboy (but dammit, I admit a little part of me is one).
    Sorry to see ya go Tazos, and best of luck on your new device!
    sad_old_man and Tazos like this.
    05-27-13 07:10 AM
    I'm following... this thread like I took a hit of acid. Interesting posts, and you all (especially sad_old_man) crack me up. Not what I expected on CB, but what can I say, I'm new here. I love my Z10, but I respect your opinions, and actually appreciate the feedback that's not all fanboy (but dammit, I admit a little part of me is one).
    Eventually, we have no idea what were the original threads. Thanks to SOM sh*tting all over this forum and silly us following his trail as if there's a pot of gold at the end of it. Not calling him a lepracaun or anything. Just saying.....
    05-27-13 07:24 AM
    Eventually, we have no idea what were the original threads. Thanks to SOM sh*tting all over this forum and silly us following his trail as if there's a pot of gold at the end of it. Not calling him a lepracaun or anything. Just saying.....
    Get thee behind me Satan!

Strange that as I have been following myself for years and been followed by a cat, a dog, a gooseberry, a blue ghost and several strange people who for some reason like taking vacations in Cincinnati? I have never know where I am going so I don't know why anyone should follow me but at least I'm not lonely. Now what was your question?
    05-27-13 07:32 AM
    honestly as much as I enjoy a good stayin on topic rant, I really do think this forum would be pretty boring in his absence
    05-27-13 07:33 AM
    honestly as much as I enjoy a good stayin on topic rant, I really do think this forum would be pretty boring in his absence
    Oh god, I'm scared, now I'm really scared! Where the hell has my cellar key gone to?
    05-27-13 07:36 AM
    @sad_old_man, you are becoming kind of annoying now.
    The Mods should take some actions and at least clean the spam you have made.
    05-27-13 07:40 AM
    Oh god, I'm scared, now I'm really scared! Where the hell has my cellar key gone to?
    Oh my God, SOM, I now see that you are the ultimate troll from all your previous posts. I love it, friggin' brilliant. That's all I'll say before getting sucked... into the rabbit hole. Have a good one, it's night-night time here in my part of the world.
    05-27-13 07:43 AM
    Agreed... I can't see anything of value, other than trolling. And it's viciously funny trolling, but it detracts from the overall threads... I'm surprised it goes back so far!
    05-27-13 07:45 AM
    Agreed... I can't see anything of value, other than trolling. And it's viciously funny trolling, but it detracts from the overall threads... I'm surprised it goes back so far!
    How did you get in here?!!!
    05-27-13 07:47 AM
    How did you get in here?!!!
    Through the CB website via PC (not using CB on my BB).
    05-27-13 07:53 AM
    oh cmon look at the thread it was mesnt to be a statment not a conversation
    05-27-13 07:55 AM
    Oohhh you cutie patootie. Nappy time?
    05-27-13 07:58 AM
260 ... 23456 ...