So, on standby the battery drain is very slow. Im actually very pleased with the standby drain.

BUT, i took the playbook off the charger today at 100%, and browsed online and watched some youtube videos for a total of 25 minutes, and had a battery drain of 11% bringing it down to 89% battery. AFTER 25 MINUTES.

I am new to the Playbook, can someone help me with any fixes/debugs i can do to try and reduce my insane battery usage while watching youtube videos or doing simple web browsing.

I know it's not a normal drain time with usage.

this comes out to 3.3 hours of battery life with continuous usage
    02-27-12 11:24 AM
    If you have a new PB, your battery meter might not have calibrated properly. Give it a few cycles before making conclusions.

Just in case, download Battery Guru and see what the battery health is (should be in the 90s or high 80s). Also, look at the power consumption.

In general, playing flash content does consume a lot of power. Your power consumption will also depend on how many apps you have open.

Also note that you reach FULL 100% charge when the lightning bolt is gone from the battery icon and it's showing the plug instead.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-27-12 at 11:31 AM.
    02-27-12 11:26 AM
    If your interested in seeing how different things affect battery life get the battery guru app.
    Lowering your screen brightness would have a big impact.
    02-27-12 11:31 AM
    Mine drains about 8% in 30 minutes with surfing the web. It drains about 2-3% in standby over f hours with bridge and wifi and sharing turned on.
    02-27-12 11:32 AM
    I know, the drain is insane on this thing...

30 minutes drain by just browsing the web?
    02-27-12 11:34 AM
    I know, the drain is insane on this thing...

30 minutes drain by just browsing the web?
    Have you read what I posted above?
    02-27-12 11:37 AM
    If you have a new PB, your battery meter might not have calibrated properly. Give it a few cycles before making conclusions.

Just in case, download Battery Guru and see what the battery health is (should be in the 90s or high 80s). Also, look at the power consumption.

In general, playing flash content does consume a lot of power. Your power consumption will also depend on how many apps you have open.

Also note that you reach FULL 100% charge when the lightning bolt is gone from the battery icon and it's showing the plug instead.
    I did read what you wrote. It has had a full 4 charges, and always says 100% charge when unplugged, and 99% 2 minutes later.

I only use one app at a time. you close an ap by swiping it up, and i only use one at a time.

I can try turning the brightness down a bit i guess. i read theres some email setting also I can change?

So frustrated. I LOVE how this tab feels in my hand. love the browser, cam, everything about it...but getting 7-8 hrs of usage seems like an absolute impossibility. And I dont think any kind of OTA fix will help in this case.
    02-27-12 11:41 AM
    Browsing the web and streaming videos via the web will yield different results.
    If I look at my guru graph from today I have lost about 10%/hour browsing. If I were watching videos for that time it would be higher I'm sure.
    02-27-12 11:43 AM
    For me the battery life was pretty decent. When BBDevCon was on a while back i streamed it live for around 35 mins and it dropped 7%. if that was accurate, that's 8 hours of streaming with a full charge. I did use earphones instead of the speaker, maybe that played a part too.
    02-27-12 11:49 AM
    Agreed. Especially if watching videos by streaming.
    02-27-12 11:51 AM
    I did read what you wrote. It has had a full 4 charges, and always says 100% charge when unplugged, and 99% 2 minutes later.

I only use one app at a time. you close an ap by swiping it up, and i only use one at a time.

I can try turning the brightness down a bit i guess. i read theres some email setting also I can change?

So frustrated. I LOVE how this tab feels in my hand. love the browser, cam, everything about it...but getting 7-8 hrs of usage seems like an absolute impossibility. And I dont think any kind of OTA fix will help in this case.
    Did you have at least one full discharge/charge cycle (don't do this often though)?

Did you check your battery health?

Besides, I found the battery meter to be the least accurate at the extremes (close to full or discharged). Therefore, simply dividing 100% by the battery drain to get the battery life estimate may not yield accurate results.

Also check you email sync settings. There is a problem with manual sync.

Again, watching Flash content takes its toll. If you do watch Flash streaming videos all the time, you should be getting 4-5 hours of continues use.

If you want to conserve battery, dim down the brightness, turn off BT if not needed. You may also want to disable Flash and/or Javascript for your casual web browsing.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-27-12 at 11:56 AM.
    Chaddface likes this.
    02-27-12 11:52 AM
    "Also check you email sync settings. There is a problem with manual sync."

What setting should it be at? and what will those settings change?
    02-27-12 11:54 AM
    "Also check you email sync settings. There is a problem with manual sync."

What setting should it be at? and what will those settings change?
    A few of us, including me, have experienced excessive battery drain with sync set to manual and/or push disabled.
    02-27-12 11:58 AM

Point 1. Browsing the World Wide Web is less battery intensive than streaming videos from a website.

Point 2. You can decrease the brightness of the screen by 50% and not notice a discernable difference visually but the decrease in battery consumption is noticeable. In some cases reducing the brightness to the leftmost position is perfect for reducing eye strain for extended reading; all the way to the left does not mean black as in 0% brightness because you cannot set the brightness to absolute 0%.

Point 3. I manage to achieve 8-12 hours of actual use on a daily basis on the BlackBerry PlayBook reserved solely for professional and academic use, whereas my other BlackBerry PlayBook which is used strictly as an entertainment device varies between 5-16+ hours depending on the activity (reading books, watching movies, streaming movies, web browsing, playing games, etc.)
    samson47 likes this.
    02-27-12 12:00 PM
    Here is some battery consumption testing by our own Peter the Battery Guru

PlayBook: Power Consumption
    02-27-12 12:03 PM
    I tried everything, and nothing worked, I even deleted all native messaging accounts. It still drained. I then had a thought. Yep, if you logged into the facebook app, it remains running even when you close the app. Once I swiped down, and selected logout, the power use dropped considerably. I will attemp to reproduce this evening, with screenshots of guru.

I wonder if this also occurs to other apps that have login criteria.
    02-27-12 12:10 PM
    Hey quick q, everyone pushes this battery guru app, does it give you detailed stats, for example which apps or functions are using the most battery?
    02-27-12 12:21 PM
    The facebook think makes sense actually as it would be constantly sniffing the wi-fi. I don't use facebook, but I did have the battery problem before I did a wipe and a clean install. Mine has been on now for 3 days and I still have 15% battery.
    02-27-12 12:22 PM
    Hey quick q, everyone pushes this battery guru app, does it give you detailed stats, for example which apps or functions are using the most battery?
    No it won't show how much power a specific app is using. It will show how much the PB as a whole is using and by terminating certain apps you can see what is drawing the most power. The graph makes it easy to see how your usage affects battery life. Also makes it easy to see how much power your using when in standby.
    Just as important as the app, the fact the developer is active on the forum is worth the price of admission to me.
    kennyliu likes this.
    02-27-12 12:37 PM
    I meet the same problem before, maybe you can replace the phone to the manufacturer, let him help you to activate it.good luck
    03-01-12 01:32 AM
    Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 07:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD