RIM I love yea, but sometimes....grrr

For example, the DM update problems. The only thing I have heard from them is "we are working on it" and that was AFTER they were contacted by CB....When a major update doesn't go well, let people know, I don't blame you for the problem, these things happen. I just want to know that you know about it, your working on it, & any idea as to when it will be fixed.

Now today while reading
    BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 Brings Updates to Docs to Go and a Brand New App: Print To Go �Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog
    (btw those "docs to go" changes look AMAZING, BEST office suite I've seen on a tablet)

You talk about "Print to Go" and how great it is (I've seen vid of it in action, & belive me it's even better then described) BUT you finish it by saying, "oh yea & for those who want to print to a printer, check out our app world."

I clicked on the link, you didn't even link to print apps. What you didn't meantion is that there is no real PB Print app out there. There are some apps that do an ok job of getting around the problems, but they shouldn't have to even exist in the first place. Printing to a Printer should be native. EVERYONE has a printer! Granted you can't make drivers for every printer out there, but you could create the ability to print via:
    a) e-print - for compatible printers
    b) DLNA - for compatible printers
    c) through the user's computer, using the computer's print drivers.

grr I don't know why reading "For solutions that allow you to print documents from your PlayBook tablet to a physical printer, look no further than BlackBerry App World�." set me off, but it did......End of Rant.
    02-18-12 07:40 PM
    The post is over a month old, maybe we will get a decent app with 2.0? Or even better dlna
    02-18-12 07:52 PM
    RIM I love yea, but sometimes....grrr

For example, the DM update problems. The only thing I have heard from them is "we are working on it" and that was AFTER they were contacted by CB....When a major update doesn't go well, let people know, I don't blame you for the problem, these things happen. I just want to know that you know about it, your working on it, & any idea as to when it will be fixed.

Now today while reading
    BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 Brings Updates to Docs to Go and a Brand New App: Print To Go �Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog
    (btw those "docs to go" changes look AMAZING, BEST office suite I've seen on a tablet)

You talk about "Print to Go" and how great it is (I've seen vid of it in action, & belive me it's even better then described) BUT you finish it by saying, "oh yea & for those who want to print to a printer, check out our app world."

I clicked on the link, you didn't even link to print apps. What you didn't meantion is that there is no real PB Print app out there. There are some apps that do an ok job of getting around the problems, but they shouldn't have to even exist in the first place. Printing to a Printer should be native. EVERYONE has a printer! Granted you can't make drivers for every printer out there, but you could create the ability to print via:
    a) e-print - for compatible printers
    b) DLNA - for compatible printers
    c) through the user's computer, using the computer's print drivers.

grr I don't know why reading "For solutions that allow you to print documents from your PlayBook tablet to a physical printer, look no further than BlackBerry App World�." set me off, but it did......End of Rant.
    Well we were all misled, I assume RIM meant for it to ultimately print directly to printers but now its suddenly "print to a file"... I assume they discovered they bit off more than they could chew and had to regroup and replan.
    02-18-12 08:06 PM
    Well we were all misled, I assume RIM meant for it to ultimately print directly to printers but now its suddenly "print to a file"... I assume they discovered they bit off more than they could chew and had to regroup and replan.
    Well if it's print-to-file, then at least enable USB OTG so you can stick in a flash drive and then stick it into a USB printer.
    02-18-12 08:43 PM
    Google uses the same method to allow printing through google chrome browser from a mobile device. Or a very similar method. Evidently there's no other efficient way to handle it. Only PCs have the base of drivers to make it happen.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by southlander; 02-18-12 at 10:10 PM.
    02-18-12 10:07 PM
    Google uses the same method to allow printing through google chrome browser from a mobile device. Or a very similar method. Evidently there's no other efficient way to handle it. Only PCs have the base of drivers to make it happen.

Your talking about Google Cloud Print?

So why doesn't RIM have their vs of this?

BTW I think printing from phone/tablets will be easier in the future. We are starting to see printer manufacturers take notice of this & include features in their printers that allow people to print to them without having to worry about the windows/mac drivers.
    Most of these features are e-print & DLNA.....so once again, why doesn't BlackBerry have that?.....Atleast then people can say..."Yea my Printer" doesnt' support it, vs "my BB doesn't allow me to print"
    02-18-12 11:12 PM
    I don't get print to go. At all. Why not just have a copy of the doc on your PB? Are they non-editable "print outs" on the playbook using it or something?
    02-19-12 12:58 AM
    Awesome - we'll be able to edit ppt documents... finally
    02-19-12 04:50 AM
    Not being able to print is a big wall, for conducting business. I have to take that into consideration everytime I have to decide grab my playbook which is handy or fireup my notebook which will take three minutes to get up and running.
    02-19-12 06:16 AM

I call BS on your statement. Cortado Workplace has offered printing from Blackberry smartphones for at least two year now to Bluetooth and networked printers from a wide variety of manufacturers and across various models from each of these manufacturers. The same should be possible for the BlackBerry PlayBook either from Research In Motion or a third-party application maker.
    02-19-12 09:26 AM
    I call BS on your statement. Cortado Workplace has offered printing from Blackberry smartphones for at least two year now to Bluetooth and networked printers from a wide variety of manufacturers and across various models from each of these manufacturers. The same should be possible for the BlackBerry PlayBook either from Research In Motion or a third-party application maker.
    Lol. Calm down; I was not giving a deposition. I was just pointing out that the PlayBook print to go or whatever it is called feature reminds me of Google Cloud print in that you need a PC to actually format the print job; that is you need a device with drivers. So RIM took a similar approach to Google for some reason.
    02-19-12 10:23 AM
    OP: Just wait for the cloud ... I guess.
    02-19-12 01:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD