So I woke up this morning looking for a way to install a nav app on my playbook, sideloading google maps and Osmand in the process with both maps giving me a gps reading 280 kilometers from my exact location. Trying to fix the problem I visited the support page and was advised to use magellan compass to know my exact bearing and put it into google maps to see if its the fault of the map app. That's where the frustration started!

I had previously purchased and installed magellan Compass on my pb and have previously had to wipe my pb, but I just clicked the re-install button to redownload the app and was told that "the price of this application has changed" and I needed to re-purchase it at a different and higher price. My question Is why is this allowed in the app world market? I've fully paid for the old version, why do I need to pay full price for an upgrade without being able to keep what I have already paid for? This is the only app market that I've ever seen this. I believe this user also faced the same issues. I'll advice that if u currently have an old version of magellan compass, do not delete it or else you'll have to re-buy.

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...hanged-670324/
    Last edited by ryder4587; 08-13-12 at 12:17 PM.
    08-13-12 11:45 AM
    I couldn't agree more!!! If a user pays 2$ for a 2.0 app and has to wipe they should at least be able to download the 2.0 version because they paid for it!!!

Now the app is a higher price and at 3.0 so your sol on the fact that you paid for the 2.0 but there is no way to get that back. It's THEFT nothing more, nothing less but outright theft!!!

This needs to be fixed!!!
    esk369 likes this.
    08-13-12 12:38 PM
    Gps fail: Reboot
    Nav: Osmand is the best
    08-13-12 12:43 PM
    I couldn't agree more!!! If a user pays 2$ for a 2.0 app and has to wipe they should at least be able to download the 2.0 version because they paid for it!!!

Now the app is a higher price and at 3.0 so your sol on the fact that you paid for the 2.0 but there is no way to get that back. It's THEFT nothing more, nothing less but outright theft!!!

I feel the same way. I paid for the app and should have the full rights of what I paid for as of right now i cannot access, or re-download the software i have already bought without shelling out more money. Apple app developers make extensive patches and upgrades to softwares but ive never seen them ask for full costs for them.
    08-13-12 12:46 PM
    Perhaps you should soften your tone and contact the vendor directly.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-13-12 12:50 PM
    Personal opinion, but I think a lot of the apps in the playbook app world are over-priced. There isn't many free apps or decent apps for a decent price. I do think the developers of the Magellan app are screwing you over. I had the same problem with an app to teach my daughters about the noises of different animals, was a great app for free and the kids enjoyed it. Like you, I had to do a wipe to fix a wi-fi issue or something (tech support told me to wipe it) and went to download it and found the app for like $1.99. The app wasnt worth it in my opinion, and I happened to find better apps serving the same purpose for free. Sorry to hear bout the Magellan app though cuz I'm sure there are limited replacement apps for it.
    08-13-12 12:51 PM
    Personal opinion, but I think a lot of the apps in the playbook app world are over-priced. There isn't many free apps or decent apps for a decent price. I do think the developers of the Magellan app are screwing you over. I had the same problem with an app to teach my daughters about the noises of different animals, was a great app for free and the kids enjoyed it. Like you, I had to do a wipe to fix a wi-fi issue or something (tech support told me to wipe it) and went to download it and found the app for like $1.99. The app wasnt worth it in my opinion, and I happened to find better apps serving the same purpose for free. Sorry to hear bout the Magellan app though cuz I'm sure there are limited replacement apps for it.
    I do agree that allowing the vendors to charge for upgrades without also offering up older versions to the original purchasers is a problem and needs to be corrected in the vendor portal.

I don't agree with this statement of "not enough free apps". Do you think free apps are a sustainable business model for the masses? You think some vendors are charging too much? Try and develop your own application, track your time and costs, and tell me if you can give it away for free without batting an eye.
    BB_Bmore, kbz1960 and willie44 like this.
    08-13-12 12:55 PM
    I, also, agree. You should be able to re-download an app version that you purchased even if a newer version is available.

I also think Rim needs to fix Desktop Manager and allow us to backup and restore individual apps. That would allow us to take control of apps we have acquired either for free or cheaper than an app changes in price.
    08-13-12 03:09 PM
    I think the man has every right to be pissed.
    If you're going to rob someone at least have the common decency to hold a gun to their head just my opinion or better yet if you're going to screw me at least by me a drink first.
    08-13-12 04:21 PM
    ... was a great app for free and the kids enjoyed it .... and found the app for like $1.99. The app wasnt worth it in my opinion ...
    If your kids enjoyed it, then why on earth isn't it worth $1.99 ?!?!

Come on, it costs less than a Happy Meal, lasts longer and is better for them!

The shift towards free or extremely low-price software has drawbacks. If you pay next to nothing (or less) for an app, you shouldn't expect any guarantees, especially not months after downloading it. Some developers may respond to support queries (we try to) but you shouldn't really consider that a right.

Compared to what we pay for products and services in the "real world", app prices are ridiculously low. A cup of coffee or a sandwich will often cost more than an average app. At these price points, any app worth mentioning will cost more to produce, market and support than it can possibly make in direct revenue unless it sells tens of thousands. In the long run, such prices are unsustainable for niche markets.
    08-13-12 04:32 PM
    If your kids enjoyed it, then why on earth isn't it worth $1.99 ?!?!

Come on, it costs less than a Happy Meal, lasts longer and is better for them!

The shift towards free or extremely low-price software has drawbacks. If you pay next s.
    It's not the cost of the software. I can afford to shell out 5 dollars or 2 dollars to get a new one. It is the feeling of being ripped.
    08-13-12 04:59 PM
    The shift towards free or extremely low-price software has drawbacks. If you pay next to nothing (or less) for an app, you shouldn't expect any guarantees, especially not months after downloading it. Some developers may respond to support queries (we try to) but you shouldn't really consider that a right.
    If the app is free I would agree. If the person bought the app/software licensing agreement, even if it was at an "extremely low-price" they should be able to reinstall the software for the life of the device it was installed on, time is irrelevant days, weeks or years. The consumer does not set the price the developer and market does. While I agree it is not a right, rights are given to us by God, but it is contract law at least here in the US. When someone purchases something it is theirs to use forever unless otherwise stated in a contract. So as soon as money is exchanged a contract is entered into regardless of written or not. The amount of money is irrelevant.
    08-13-12 08:14 PM

I have a question then...let's say you purchase a copy of MS Office and download online. In a couple years when MS updates to a new version and stops download support for the old version. Now you have to reinstall windows for whatever reason. Do they give you the upgrade for free? No, they don't, they expect you to purchase the new version. I know this is an extreme example, but you get the idea. Not all upgrades are free. Sometimes you need to pay for the work someone puts into an update. Luckily most of the vendors in AppWorld are reasonable and will work with you if you're not an a$$ about it.

Stay calm and contact the developer, they may be willing to help you with this. No need to go around bad mouthing everyone involved until you've exhausted all other options.
    Innovatology likes this.
    08-13-12 08:48 PM
    I have a question then...let's say you purchase a copy of MS Office and download online. In a couple years when MS updates to a new version and stops download support for the old version. Now you have to reinstall windows for whatever reason. Do they give you the upgrade for free? No, they don't, they expect you to purchase the new version. I know this is an extreme example, but you get the idea. Not all upgrades are free. Sometimes you need to pay for the work someone puts into an update. Luckily most of the vendors in AppWorld are reasonable and will work with you if you're not an a$$ about it.

Stay calm and contact the developer, they may be willing to help you with this. No need to go around bad mouthing everyone involved until you've exhausted all other options.
    You don't understand the situation. It has nothing to do with paying for an upgrade but everything to do with keeping the copy you paid for. Even if Microsoft stops support for office, the license key or whatever rights you got is still going to work as long as you install it on the old copy of Office you purchased. It is okay to pay for an upgrade but being forced to re-buy the software without the option of keeping the new one is the problem.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-14-12 04:14 AM
    wow never heard of this before on any other appstore.
    i can undestand that the price of an app changes with update, i mean if you double the content why not raise the price. But if you bought something (digital or on a medium) you want to keep it. So if there is no option to install the product you bought its a huge ripp off.
    What are the way to fix this? release the update as a new version or just keep both versions available for download for the people who bought them.

Im still using my copy of Office 2003 it works just fine and i can download every free upgrade available. i cant see MS coming to my home and destroying my KEY and Office DVD to force me to pay for the new version. And with a forced new purcase, this is happening on the appworld.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-14-12 05:09 AM
    People should be free to pay for an upgrade to a new version IF THEY WANT IT. Otherwise, folks should be able to retain rights to the version they did legally acquire and be able to reinstall it, either from appworld archive or from DM backups. But DM backups are totally unreliable.
    08-14-12 08:15 AM
    i have to repeat what someone has already said...have you contacted the vendor yet?
    08-14-12 08:24 AM
    i have to repeat what someone has already said...have you contacted the vendor yet?
    Still this is a problem RIM should give some feedback and build up some guidlines. I mean this is something everyone might face one day or another. And RIM should have a solution for it without contacting every vendor of a app on your own.
    08-14-12 08:33 AM
    Just as sonic nkt said, this is RIMs problem and it can happen to anybody. I do not have to contact the vendor of the app to try to get my app back, the appstore is broken and it is RIMs duty to fix it. I would have contacted the vendor if its an isolated case but it can happen to you too and every app in which they increase the price.
    08-14-12 10:04 AM
    I think we all agree that AppWorld should let you download the version of an app that you paid for.
    Until that happens your only option is contacting the vendor. Chances are he agrees with us.
    08-14-12 10:54 AM
    Contact the vendor directly and ask if they can provide you with the version you bought.

You may not realize it, but delivering apps from App World is actually pretty complex. Effectively App World doesn't allow multiple versions to be downloaded. And for the Playbook it's even more difficult because, as yet, there's no over the air download.

Whether the vendor could give you a file to side load is another question that depends on how they license the software.

The truth is that apps are massively under priced. Whatever RIM and others say, the truth is the vast majority of developers make virtually nothing for their apps. Only a small percentage make a living.

Once the market settles out (i.e. the millions of new developers realize they'll never feed themselves writing apps) you'll find prices will settle to prices considerably higher than they are now.

So don't complain too much and enjoy it while you can. It won't last.
    08-14-12 11:10 AM
    Apps installed can be reinstalled from a Backup Copy via DeskTop Software, right?
    Am I missing something????? other than ease of use via App World cloud....
    08-14-12 11:16 AM
    well it also depends on how much you sell.... if you can sell 1.000.000 copies you can even make a fortune with a app priced at one eur. but because of that the software on small appsttore, worlds. markets. catalogs is often a bit more expensive than one the appstore for example. plus there is more competition on the bigger stores.

i dont mind paying a bit for an app that works great but there is also the question what is it worth. there is a difference between a full office app or one that is basicly just a nice gui for a online service i could use with the browser.
    08-14-12 11:21 AM
    Apps installed can be reinstalled from a Backup Copy via DeskTop Software, right?
    Am I missing something????? other than ease of use via App World cloud....
    That's the second problem. Desktop Manager is not very successful for some people. It fails in too many cases, it does not allow selective backup and restore of individual apps - you either reload them all when you might not want some or you reload none. Also, as folks with the .668 OS problem are finding, they canNOT restore since the OS does not match. So the backup they may have is useless. Similarly, the beta OS backups do not restore. DM needs lots of improvements.
    08-14-12 02:02 PM
    Contact the vendor directly and ask if they can provide you with the version you bought.

You may not realize it, but delivering apps from App World is actually pretty complex. Effectively App World doesn't allow multiple versions to be downloaded. And for the Playbook it's even more difficult because, as yet, there's no over the air download.

Whether the vendor could give you a file to side load is another question that depends on how they license the software.

The truth is that apps are massively under priced. Whatever RIM and others say, the truth is the vast majority of developers make virtually nothing for their apps. Only a small percentage make a living.

Once the market settles out (i.e. the millions of new developers realize they'll never feed themselves writing apps) you'll find prices will settle to prices considerably higher than they are now.

So don't complain too much and enjoy it while you can. It won't last.
    so for every app that gets an update in cost I need to contact the vendor to get the previous version? That is not a viable suggestion. This is a RIM problem and needs to be fixed. I have never gotten the same treatment from the ios appstore
    08-14-12 08:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD