I have both the rapid charging pod and the standard rapid charger (purchased both at Staples on clearance for $13.50 each). The charging pod is on my nightstand and charges my Playbook nightly while I use it as an alarm clock. The charging pod has been a bit tempermental, as it occassionally shows a false charging signal as has been mentioned in other posts. But for the price, I don't mind an occassional hiccup.

Even having the charging pod, I have wanted another stand to use in other locations. I had considered making one in my wood shop, but decided to search online and found the Arkon adjustable and folding tablet stand. I love it. For those of you who are either unahappy with the charging pod, or want a (better) alternative, you should consider it for the following key reasons: It only costs $10-12, you can use it with the standard rapid charger, you can take it anywhere easily, it fits multiple tablets types and sizes, the angle is adjustable, it doesn't take up much more space, and most importantly it can be used even if the Playbook is in a case (included using the rapid charger), which has been a frequent concern and problem with using the charging pod. It also comes in very handy when using the video chat feature. I've enclosed a picture from the Arkon advertising.

Back in May 2011, another user mentioned using the Arkon stand in a thread about the charging pod, but it doesn't seem to have gotten much attention. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ng-pod-610758/

I hope some folks find this useful.
    azrin640, spike12 and KermEd like this.
    01-14-12 11:01 PM
    This one fits the PlayBook like a glove:

Belkin FlipBlade for iPad F5L080tt

It has a very slick hydraulic/pneumatic mechanism for softly opening. You'll find yourself opening and closing the stand just for kicks. It is brushed aluminium, rubber and plastic, well designed.

01-14-12 11:26 PM
    I have both the rapid charging pod and the standard rapid charger (purchased both at Staples on clearance for $13.50 each). The charging pod is on my nightstand and charges my Playbook nightly while I use it as an alarm clock. The charging pod has been a bit tempermental, as it occassionally shows a false charging signal as has been mentioned in other posts. But for the price, I don't mind an occassional hiccup.

Even having the charging pod, I have wanted another stand to use in other locations. I had considered making one in my wood shop, but decided to search online and found the Arkon adjustable and folding tablet stand. I love it. For those of you who are either unahappy with the charging pod, or want a (better) alternative, you should consider it for the following key reasons: It only costs $10-12, you can use it with the standard rapid charger, you can take it anywhere easily, it fits multiple tablets types and sizes, the angle is adjustable, it doesn't take up much more space, and most importantly it can be used even if the Playbook is in a case (included using the rapid charger), which has been a frequent concern and problem with using the charging pod. It also comes in very handy when using the video chat feature. I've enclosed a picture from the Arkon advertising.

Back in May 2011, another user mentioned using the Arkon stand in a thread about the charging pod, but it doesn't seem to have gotten much attention. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ng-pod-610758/

I hope some folks find this useful.
    Used that one just yesterday down in the kitchen. I had a pdf recipe on the pb and then decided I needed a baked apple dessert and used the Browser to find one. I was then switching between the two recipes while having two burners and the oven going. Works real swell. Then after dinner my friend watched a few slide shows (with the pb on that easel) of our hiking trips together from days gone by - she loved the dinner and the show!

I had purchased a much larger thingie from Walmart (kind of like the Belkin one mentioned but not with hydraulics) and returned it. This one packs down really small.
    swiftex likes this.
    01-15-12 12:48 AM

[/URL]
    The Belkin stand doesn't seem as good as the Arkon because it covers up the Playbook ports, preventing use of the rapid charger (and many other uses) while in the stand. it also has a narrow holding slot that likely would prevent its use without taking the Playbook out of its case, unlike the Arkon. Not to mention it is three times the price. i'm still heavily favoring the Arkon as the best option for most users.
    01-15-12 07:41 AM
    So you're saying you can use the Arkon stand in conjunction with the BB rapid charger's magnetic connector?
    Last edited by dugggggg; 01-15-12 at 08:29 AM.
    01-15-12 08:24 AM
    I'm considering making a stand for my Playbook, but want to try and integrate HDMI along with the Micro-USB. Shouldn't be too much of a difficult task

Did also consider a standing unit as well, with integrated HiFi speakers.
    01-15-12 09:18 AM

It has a very slick hydraulic/pneumatic mechanism for softly opening. You'll find yourself opening and closing the stand just for kicks. It is brushed aluminium, rubber and plastic, well designed.

Click to view quoted image
    This looks really cool, but I'm not sure if I would want to drop 30 bucks on it. I will, however, keep my eye on it to see if I can find it on sale somewhere. Half price would be great.
    01-15-12 09:33 AM
    The PlayBook rapid charging pod needs improving. I paid $70 for it in May and can't trust it to charge the PlayBook. I've had two, and both have had the same problem.....the "PIN" malfunctions after a couple of months causing inaccurate charge readings. If it worked properly it would be perfect for my needs. I feel as though my money was stolen.
    01-15-12 09:54 AM
    The PlayBook rapid charging pod needs improving. I paid $70 for it in May and can't trust it to charge the PlayBook. I've had two, and both have had the same problem.....the "PIN" malfunctions after a couple of months causing inaccurate charge readings. If it worked properly it would be perfect for my needs. I feel as though my money was stolen.
    Use an old toothbrush to clean out the pin area on both your playbook and your charger stand. Worked like a charm to fix mine when the pins got stuck and the charging became erratic!
    01-15-12 10:10 AM
    This looks really cool, but I'm not sure if I would want to drop 30 bucks on it. I will, however, keep my eye on it to see if I can find it on sale somewhere. Half price would be great.
    $14.99 @ Best Buy and Amazon.
    01-15-12 10:14 AM
    After a couple of MONTHS? My pod fails every DAY. I have to always use Battery Guru in conjunction with the pod, to ensure it is actually charging. At least I only paid $13.50 for it. I would be furious if I paid $70. Though probably not if it only malfunctions every other month...
    01-15-12 10:29 AM
    I got a different Belkin adjustable flip stand@12.99+fs at BB last month which has a large open area under the mount. In either Belkin models the PB could be mounted upside down for charging.

Belkin-FlipBlade Adjust Stand for Apple iPad 2-Silver/Gray-F5L084TT

Model Number: F5L084TT

Compatible with Apple iPad 2; durable, lightweight material; 4 adjustable positions; low typing angle
    01-15-12 10:33 AM
    For any of these stands, if the stand interferes with cables (hdmi, usb, rapid) just invert the pb with the ports on the top. Obviously not as neat looking but it will work.

The legs of the a arkon can spread sufficiently to allow connections but wires might need to be bent a bit and then will have to route to the front unless you dremel the legs to provide a pass-thru for wires to the rear.
    01-15-12 10:39 AM
    Use an old toothbrush to clean out the pin area on both your playbook and your charger stand. Worked like a charm to fix mine when the pins got stuck and the charging became erratic!
    Thanks for the info, however I shouldn't have to use a "toothbrush" on a $70 charging stand.......It should work longer than a couple of months. Once again Thanks for the "fixit"
    01-15-12 10:39 AM
    After a couple of MONTHS? My pod fails every DAY. I have to always use Battery Guru in conjunction with the pod, to ensure it is actually charging. At least I only paid $13.50 for it. I would be furious if I paid $70. Though probably not if it only malfunctions every other month...
    Too bad you're not in the Toronto area or we could fix it up right quick...

Know anyone handy with a soldering iron? It wasn't at all hard to fix mine... takes about five minutes.

(Would be nice to find someone else who's willing to try the same thing, to get more data on the whole thing and let us actually recommend that approach in the cases where it's appropriate.)
    01-15-12 10:40 AM

Know anyone handy with a soldering iron? It wasn't at all hard to fix mine... takes about five minutes.

(Would be nice to find someone else who's willing to try the same thing, to get more data on the whole thing and let us actually recommend that approach in the cases where it's appropriate.)
    I'm plenty handy with a soldering iron---though if it requires using it on the PB, I think i'll wait til my warranty is over
    01-15-12 10:55 AM
    01-15-12 01:03 PM
    So you're saying you can use the Arkon stand in conjunction with the BB rapid charger's magnetic connector?
    Yes. Works great. Cable runs behind in the open webbing of the stand and out of sight.

I agree that USB and HDMI need more room on the bottom (unlike the magnetic rapid charger), but inverting the Playbook is the best solution in those cases. Alternatively, a) you could use low profile, slimline USB and micro-HDMI cables that need limited clearance; or b) you could add some adhesive-backed rubber feet (or rubber washers) to the bottom to add enough space for the standard sized USB and micro-HDMI cable heads under the unit.

In no event do you need to drill holes or Dremel anything, as the cables simply run behind the unit out of sight.
    01-15-12 03:13 PM

Peter, I'm in Toronto, and I'm willing to be a guinea pig. My PB works fine with the charging pod (I now check with Battery Guru), but my husband's is iffy. PM me.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-15-12 08:57 PM
    My avatar was a temporary alternative to my charging pod, check out the story in this thread: pb mcguyver

add some more "light hearted" examples if have one! (not trying to hijack your thread, just having fun)
    01-15-12 11:10 PM
    My avatar was a temporary alternative to my charging pod, check out the story in this thread: pb mcguyver

add some more "light hearted" examples if have one! (not trying to hijack your thread, just having fun)
    01-15-12 11:11 PM
    Here is what I use, it's perfect and the cables will run easily under it. I actually have 2, the one I am using for my PB I was using for a planner, i had cut the arms (the ones with the rubber sticking up) shorter so I could flip pages easily and now it works perfect for holding my PB and it's cheap!

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...-Stand-Chrome/
    Last edited by Bob314; 01-16-12 at 01:43 PM.
    01-16-12 01:27 PM
    Thanks for the info, however I shouldn't have to use a "toothbrush" on a $70 charging stand.......It should work longer than a couple of months. Once again Thanks for the "fixit"
    Agreed.... but then again I've also got a friend who cleans his $ 100,000+ Porsche with a toothbrush!

Here is a link to another alternative to the Blackberry charging stand. One neat feature is that it 'apparently' allows you to charge the Playbook while also keeping the USB plug available syncing with your computer. Haven't used it so I can't comment, but it might be worth checking out!

Fosmon Premium USB Sync Charge Desktop Docking Cradle for Blackberry Playbook: Amazon.ca: Electronics
    01-16-12 04:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD