Hey everyone.

Is anyone else noticing grainy pictures/videos when using the PB camera? In all the demos that I saw, the camera always took crystal clear pictures. But none of my pictures of videos are turing out as they should.

Is there a certain setting I have to change?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    04-20-11 09:08 AM
    Do you have any sample pics you can show us?
    04-20-11 09:10 AM
    Hey everyone.

Is anyone else noticing grainy pictures/videos when using the PB camera? In all the demos that I saw, the camera always took crystal clear pictures. But none of my pictures of videos are turing out as they should.

Is there a certain setting I have to change?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    is there a protective plastic film over the camera lens? how about u post a sample?
    04-20-11 09:16 AM
    I'm guessing lighting.
    04-20-11 09:18 AM
    I took a video and it looked great. You need to have good lighting for still pics, though. Remember, the Playbook doesn't have a flash, so pictures in a darkened room will not look good at all.
    04-20-11 09:26 AM
    Swipe down from the top bezel while the camera app is open. There are settings for resolution in there as well. You can try to adjust, should make them better!
    04-20-11 09:29 AM
    I'll jump on the "bad lighting" bandwagon too, as the likely culprit.
    04-20-11 09:31 AM
    Yep, it is low lighting. It takes serious processing power or a very very fast lens to make low light pictures look great, neither of which the PB have. Try again during the day or in a well light area and I think you'll be happy.
    04-20-11 09:45 AM
    Sorry, I'm at work right now. Didn't want to bring my PB to the office just yet.

I think you guys are right...it's probably the lighting. The protective plastic film on the lens is definitely off - I made sure of that.

I'll try changing the resolution and making sure I have ample light.

I'll post up some pics when I get home.

Thanks for all your replies!
    04-20-11 09:51 AM
    Definitely the lighting, take some pics or video outside and they look great. I thought actually it does a reasonably good job in low light considering there is no flash (which would be nice!).
    04-20-11 09:59 AM
    There is a protective plastic firm?Never, just went outside, took a couple of pictures, and came back. It's definitely the lighting issue. So i guess You can only take outdoor pictures with the PB then.
    Last edited by jdaclutch; 04-20-11 at 10:35 AM.
    04-20-11 10:11 AM
    I just got my Playbook yesterday. It's my first tablet so I didn't know what to expect, but I knew I wanted a good camera and I saw/read a lot of good stuff about Playbook.

Side note:

I didn't get to use the camera until night time because the Playbook wouldn't go past the WiFi setup until it found a network and mine wouldn't work without the SSID broadcast initially; so I temporarily made my router broadcast it and I was connected. After I updated the OS I was able to use the network without broadcasting the SSID again. I don't know if anyone else had this trouble (using an e3000 "cisco" router).

ANYWAY . . . at first I was pissed that the camera pictures were "all grainy", but they are all totally right. It's just not good in low-light.

Although it doesn't have a super-fast lens, I gotta say it seems to capture video at a very good rate, and at 5 Megapixels it looks pretty amazing. Also the camera's zoom factor is nothing to snub.

It wasn't the perfect camera I had hoped for, but honestly I little idea going in what to expect. I heard smartphone cameras are better, but I really didn't want to sign any contracts, and at 199.99 the 16GB Blackburri tablet is hard to beat! Every other feature superceded my expectations. The stereo mics pick up sound great (although I still would like to see them work for chatroulette in OS 2.0 better). The stereo front-facing speakers are pretty amazing too. The screen is reeally nice for reading Ebooks, and you can do a lot at once without it bogging down.

Besides the cameras, you can actually take a picture of whatever you're doing on the playbook too by pushing the physical up+down volume buttons simultaneously (works in camera mode too, but I don't know how it would be useful then) for a nice screen cap.

If I was a photographer I would buy an extraordinary camera, but this just happens to have a great camera in an extraordinary device.
    02-08-12 03:58 PM
    Photography is all about capturing light. If it's not there, the picture will suffer.
    02-08-12 04:04 PM
    Today I used the video camera for the first time.
    I was "filming" my dog playing and it was cold and overcast out. I really had a hard time seeing her though the PB, between the light casting on the front and the overcast out.

I was really expecting a terrible "film" and expecting to do it again.

It came out wonderful, actually. I was quite surprised.

Attached is a 7 sec vid, just for testing...

Edit: sorry, can't upload file. Not sure why. Too large, no cloud... sorry
    Last edited by cntrydncr223; 02-08-12 at 04:13 PM.
    02-08-12 04:10 PM
    The video is not too bad even in low light, I shot some video of a bowling tournement and the lighting in bowling alleys is pretty poor at best. The still camera on the other hand needs some help in low light. But in a well lit room with good technique you can get some very good photos. I've been remodeling my kitchen and using my pb to take before and after photos and they look pretty good.
    pickles#WP likes this.
    02-08-12 04:33 PM
    Sorry, I'm at work right now. Didn't want to bring my PB to the office just yet.

I think you guys are right...it's probably the lighting. The protective plastic film on the lens is definitely off - I made sure of that.

I'll try changing the resolution and making sure I have ample light.

I'll post up some pics when I get home.

Thanks for all your replies!
    When taking pictures or videos using any device, lighting is everything.

If you're taking indoor footage without sufficient lighting, you will get grainy video/photos. PB doesn't seem to have much post processing applied to these grainy images, so they will show up.

That said, video quality of PB's video camera is respectable. I wouldn't use tablet for taking pictures or videos regularly, but it is handy when needed.
    02-08-12 04:45 PM
    There is a protective plastic firm?Never, just went outside, took a couple of pictures, and came back. It's definitely the lighting issue. So i guess You can only take outdoor pictures with the PB then.
    im curious, did all PB's come with this protective film? i dont want to attempt scratching at the lenses trying to get a film that might have never been there.
    02-08-12 05:07 PM
    im curious, did all PB's come with this protective film? i dont want to attempt scratching at the lenses trying to get a film that might have never been there.
    I don't recall but your fingernails won't scratch the lens, and it will be obvious if the film is still there.
    02-08-12 05:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD