Question...

I've downloaded Poynt to my PB and on my Torch. Does the compass app work w/o wifi and are you paired to your BB? I'm a bit confused as to how this works. I tried opening Poynt and it pops up with a message saying unable to connect to Poynt Services, contact support etc. I just click Ok assuming that it's because of the wifi. On the top it just has a message saying Acquiring GPS location and that's about all it does. I thought it could be because I'm not paired to my Torch. So I close Poynt and then pair it with my Torch and it's the same thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Question for you. If you went to a camping equipment store and bought a compass, do you think you would need an internet connection to get it to work?
    05-06-11 10:37 AM
    Question for you. If you went to a camping equipment store and bought a compass, do you think you would need an internet connection to get it to work?
    Two questions for you.

1) Do most of the apps on your WiFi Playbook require an internet connection to work? I believe it was a legitimate question.

2) Do you like to be a tool?
    Prey521 likes this.
    05-06-11 10:44 AM
    After reading this last night I tried while at home and it worked, now today I'm in my office and it doesn't work. Even when outside I get no GPS reading on the compass or Poynt.
    Hi EdS817 - One thing I find odd is that GPS on these devices seems to work "better" up in the North where I lived for most of my life (CT.) But as I was in the Satellite TV business (installing) for quite a while up there, it is known that the further North you live- further from the equator- the bigger the dish you need because the satellites are further away. (or at least the horizon). Logically one would think GPS technology would work the same way. But I've always had a tougher time with the same and newer hardware- getting locks on satellites down here in Florida where you are. But that doesn't help you. The only thing I can think of- Where are you in S. FL.? If you are in a big city like Miami, and work close to tall buildings, it could be making it more difficult for you to get a fix.
    Just a thought.
    05-06-11 11:10 AM
    dkingsf - You ARE a CrackBerry master, so I am going to assume this was a sarcastic (in a nice way) post. Assuming that, you gave me a good laugh!
    Thanks!
    05-06-11 11:14 AM
    This seems to work for me - thanks. Although I need to see it work in different locations over a few days. I was close to turning my PB in thinking I had a defective GPS but clearly this is a software-related issue. I just wish RIM will hurry up with a fix and acknowledge there is an issue.

Update - After about 4hr went back to GPS as per OP's instructions which worked initially now, of course, it does not work. I guess that's why this is "workaround" and not a fix, thanks again anyhow but GPS on PB = DOA.
    Last edited by ab345; 05-06-11 at 04:36 PM.
    05-06-11 11:17 AM
    Hi EdS817 - The only thing I can think of- Where are you in S. FL.? If you are in a big city like Miami, and work close to tall buildings, it could be making it more difficult for you to get a fix.
    Just a thought.
    I live in Wellington and work in Pompano Beach. My office is on a main street with no obstructions. I even have a Garmin GPS that works fine even in the office.

I plan to test the GPS on the PB this weekend as I am out and about and will report my success and failures.
    05-06-11 12:00 PM
    Mine still only works sometimes. Most times it does not. It doesn't matter which app I have open first or if I keep all or some of them open. It doesn't matter. It only works when it feels like it and no amount of playing around with these apps makes any difference. Sometimes one app will find me and the others won't. And the location doesn't matter either. I can get a lock on my location one minute, then close the app and reopen it and it won't find me in the same location a minute later. For me, there has been no "fix" that works. I'm just going to have to wait for the next software update and hope they get it right.
    05-06-11 02:33 PM
    someone hinted at this in another post, so I tried it and get poynt and bing to work reliably, every time. Download the free compass app, NOT the Magellan free trial. Open the compass app; for some reason, it quickly and easily gets a fix for me, even indoors where my BB Torch can't even lock in. leave the compass app open, don't close it. (I would assume you should have your PB in Showcase mode). Now, open either Bing or Poynt and you should get a location fix within seconds. works for me.......hope
    it helps somebody
    Thanks a lot!!!, this is the first time I see the GPS working...

BTW in Colombia...
    05-06-11 05:32 PM
    OK with a restart I got that to work, both Bing and Poynt can locate me now (Poynt lists the street number across the street but no biggie).
    Now my question is, do I have to activate Compass every time to make the maps work?
    Well, experimenting on that says that Poynt works the next time w/o the Compass on (but it may save the information rather than look anew) but Bing does not. Go figure. Anyone else?
    Last edited by pastorbrad; 05-06-11 at 07:57 PM.
    05-06-11 06:38 PM
    ...except even this does not work every time. So the problem must still be in the OS. Anyone else?
    05-07-11 06:45 AM
    works great. thanks!
    05-07-11 03:34 PM
    Tried it .. Not bad ...
    Before I had no GPS on BING Maps ...
    Now it shows me about 12 miles from my real location ...
    I hope my wife doesn't 'thunk' I am hanging out

Before, POYNT was correct within 1/20th mile using 'pair' to the BB phone's GPS ...
    Now it defaults to the COMPASS location! DUH!

So, I deleted the COMPASS, re-started the PB, opened the BBBridge, POYNT is correct again.
    Last edited by mandony; 05-07-11 at 03:56 PM.
    05-07-11 03:47 PM
    Just went outside and started the compass, Poynt and Bing and all three were dead on. Then I closed all of them and reopened Poynt & Bing and they were dead on.

It seems the accuracy is intermittent.
    05-07-11 04:34 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD