I took my Playbook and 9900 on vacation (actually I'm on vacation now) and boy is the Playbook GPS ever hit-or-miss. I know it doesn't have the advantage of A-GPS but couldn't it piggyback on the phone's GPS system over the bridge? That way you would have the best of both worlds: the phone's accuracy and the PB screen and apps. It certainly would set the PB apart from other tablets. RIM are you listening?

Michael Grant
    09-21-12 07:18 PM
    Rumor has it that a navigator app is coming in 2.1 so i think they may be listening after all
    09-21-12 08:11 PM
    I took my Playbook and 9900 on vacation (actually I'm on vacation now) and boy is the Playbook GPS ever hit-or-miss. I know it doesn't have the advantage of A-GPS but couldn't it piggyback on the phone's GPS system over the bridge? That way you would have the best of both worlds: the phone's accuracy and the PB screen and apps. It certainly would set the PB apart from other tablets. RIM are you listening?

Michael Grant
    Is it wifi PB? GPS location through wifi is akwards really the best way is through cellular. Anyone got the new cellular PBs and can say if GPS works as good as a cellular phone???
    09-21-12 08:58 PM
    I do not mean to be intrusive, but if you do not mind me asking what general area of the globe are you vacationing in?
    09-21-12 10:35 PM
    Halifax

The 9900 finds my location almost immediately and with meters accuracy. But the tiny screen is barely usable and when it works Magellan can't be beat.

Michael Grant
    09-22-12 08:49 AM
    Okay thanks for the info. I only asked because sometimes there are a few areas on the globe where that happens from reception from the constellation.

I hadn't read the comments from earlier posting, but I do have a PB4G, granted I do not use it a great deal, I do not notice any differences in reception and constellation interpretation... As for A-GPS, that is a bit of double edged sword... It can cause accuracy and final location interpretations to have a greater amount of error, but it can really cut down on acquisition times when you get start it up. So to answer your question on the PB4G the only thing that is different is a bit faster acquisition on the start up.

That is about all the assisting it does...

Now of course this will all be changing as the next gens are being placed up in the constellation. In fact another is being launched in a week or so I believe...
    09-22-12 11:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD