12-29-12 07:07 PM
32 12
tools
    I downloaded the zip file and compared it with original I signed this morning using ExamDiff, ok there, deleted from my Playbook did a hard reset and reinstalled the downloaded one, I've opened and closed it numerous time and runs fine, I'm on 2.1 beta sorry should have mentioned that, I guess that's where the difference is, I did run 1.2.8 for about 2 hours this morning before posting , opening, closing, running with other apps, and everything was good.
    But just in case here is 1.2.8 rar'ed this time and 1.2.7 , I my have been to hasty in deleting the earlier file.

Good luck.
    1.2.7 works. 1.2.8 does not on my NORMAL OS. Let's see if anyone has reports.
    06-26-12 11:28 AM
    Does GPS Test require WiFi to update the AGPS data? Do I have to sideload it, or is it available in App World? (I cannot tell---App World is yet another app that stupidly requires a WiFi connection.)
    I don't no what AGPS is but no wifi is needed, the GPS will work in airplane mode, you need to sideload, best to use v1.2.7 after saying I'm having no problems with 1.2.8 of course now I'm having problems, seems to be when I open 2 android apps but I'm not sure whats going on yet.
    06-26-12 12:03 PM
    Mr_Bunny, thanks for the tip re GPS Test. Sounds like it may replace Bing Maps for downloading Assisted GPS (AGPS) data and thus really speed up the acquisition time . Re App World, google suggests there are at least two apps named GPS Test available for the PB. Do either of them look like the app you're recommending? I'd prefer not to sideload if I didn't have to.
    06-26-12 08:38 PM
    Mr_Bunny, thanks for the tip re GPS Test. Sounds like it may replace Bing Maps for downloading Assisted GPS (AGPS) data and thus really speed up the acquisition time . Re App World, google suggests there are at least two apps named GPS Test available for the PB. Do either of them look like the app you're recommending? I'd prefer not to sideload if I didn't have to.
    I did try try both of those and didn't really like them, but I went and had a look and downloaded "GPS Data Master" it's free and it looks good, connected fast, I think I'm going to leave it on a try it out myself, it's similar to the one I'm using the only difference is that GPS Test shows how many satellites are connected, but GPS Data Master is probably you best bet if you don't want to sideload.
    06-26-12 09:45 PM
    47 minutes later... it finally locks on OSMand
    12-29-12 06:54 PM
    maps.google.com, which used to be busted with the PlayBook browser, works in 2.1.0.1314 (maybe even in 2.1.0.1088) for testing the GPS.

1. Make sure the browser's Settings/Permissions/Allow Websites to Access My Location is On
    2. Go to maps.google.com
    3. Select the dot above the Street View guy
    4. The GPS will lock to your location

It works and I'm indoors, ten feet from a window. Lock just takes seconds, but I leave my PlayBook on all the time. I haven't tested from cold boot.
    12-29-12 07:03 PM
    m.here.com, Nokia's mapping and navigation system works with the PlayBook's GPS as well... and pinch-to-zoom works too.
    12-29-12 07:07 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD