I haven't been able to get a gps signal on my PB with Google maps. I downloaded app, gps test, and used it outside but in 10 mins I still had no reception. Also, there is no icon to show gps is turned on (like the compass icon on android devices). How can I tell if gps is working?
    03-25-13 05:58 AM
    There is a free App on the Blackberry World App shop called something like 'GPS TEST'. It is free to download, and all it does is show you the output from the GPS receiver, so you can tell if there is any data being received.
    03-25-13 06:51 AM
    Try again with gps test. Place it in a position where there's a wide open view of the sky. Leave it for 10-20 minutes. Do not block it with your body. Any results? It can take that long if it has never gotten a lock or if it has been off for a long time or moved a hundred miles more or less.
    03-25-13 08:30 AM
    I believe the GPS antenna is in one of the bottom corners so I wouldn't hold it. Just lay it flat outside somewhere.
    03-25-13 08:36 AM
    Reboot the Playbook before trying the GPS test.
    03-25-13 08:54 AM
    Reboot the Playbook before trying the GPS test.
    +1
    03-25-13 09:19 AM
    Just my personal experience but some Apps seem to be better than others for using the GPS. It wasn't until I used "What's App" (an astronomy app) that I got my GPS to spring into life.

10 minutes isn't long enough if you've never had a GPS fix before. My GPS notes, written back when I was young and clever, say that a minimum of 13minutes is needed to download the almanac from the GPS satellites.

As other's have suggested, do a hard-reset then put the PB somewhere where it has a clear view of the Southern sky (if you are in the Northern hemisphere). GPS satellites fly in a belt around the equator, so you're more likely to "see" some if you can see that part of the sky.
    03-25-13 03:02 PM
    Just my personal experience but some Apps seem to be better than others for using the GPS. It wasn't until I used "What's App" (an astronomy app) that I got my GPS to spring into life.

10 minutes isn't long enough if you've never had a GPS fix before. My GPS notes, written back when I was young and clever, say that a minimum of 13minutes is needed to download the almanac from the GPS satellites.

As other's have suggested, do a hard-reset then put the PB somewhere where it has a clear view of the Southern sky (if you are in the Northern hemisphere). GPS satellites fly in a belt around the equator, so you're more likely to "see" some if you can see that part of the sky.
    Do you mean "What's up"
    03-25-13 08:26 PM
    Do you mean "What's up"
    He probably does since that is the Astronomy app.
    03-25-13 09:04 PM
    To tell if it is working or not, just go to some unfamiliar and unknown place using the PlayBook's GPS... once you reached your destination, ask one local if that is the place...

Posted via Z10
    FF22 likes this.
    03-25-13 09:23 PM
    To tell if it is working or not, just go to some unfamiliar and unknown place using the PlayBook's GPS... once you reached your destination, ask one local if that is the place...

Posted via Z10
    "We're not lost, we just don't know where we are!"
    03-25-13 11:46 PM