You presume a lot. Sincerely, I'm explaining what security I'm referring to, and I know our IT and those advising companies and individuals needing it, are well more educated in the technology than you or I, especially me. But it's very simple; ours and theirs sensitive communication and documents are only retained on the phone after the bridge is disabled, which is still considered the most secure phone in the world. Not only my opinion, but also those who know the technology and need the security. Who said anything about a wifi connection? You're right there. The PB is no more secure than the iPad not bridged. Thats the security I'm referring to. You steal my PB and you get nothing. No puffery, simple fact. Personally, I'm tired of the security issues we have to comply with, but it's required, so I do it and the BB phone/PB duo serve the requirements that no other combo will, so far.
    I hope I explained what I was referring to adequately. Thanks
    You presume that a BB phone is somehow involved. In fact, you're talking about the security of the BB phone, not the Playbook. My original posting commented on the Playbook compared to other Tablets; but, in the interest of fairness, added that there was some advantage if the Playbook was bridged to a BB phone in some environments. There is nothing pecurliarly "secure" or "professional" about the Playbook--those terms are mere puffery used in RIM's advertising, and have no objective meaning here. (I do not have a BB phone, so will leave discussion of BB phones' security to others.) I like my Playbook, but with all tablets I know of, it is actually a very "insecure" device, compared to, say, my Windows 7 laptop, for which I have tools allowing strong encryption of communications and documents and whose SSD is encrypted on-the-fly at the hardware level.
    12-22-11 05:01 AM
    Don't forget the jails they want to build... of course putting people in jail is more important than building hospitals and universities and other places of education and healing... of course the gov't wouldnt' want to waste money on those types of things.
    Oh I didn't forget.

You're right.

The decision to screw all the provinces with health care funding cuts and yesterday's Tory MP who wants to reopen the abortion debate should get people up in arms. I swear, we're becoming more and more American and it's disgusting that the general populace doesn't care.

No offense to my fellow American forum members, but we've essentially elected your b@t$h!t crazy republicans here in sheep's clothing and they are doing what G.W. Bush did to your country.
    spike12 likes this.
    12-22-11 09:46 AM
    You presume that a BB phone is somehow involved. In fact, you're talking about the security of the BB phone, not the Playbook. My original posting commented on the Playbook compared to other Tablets; but, in the interest of fairness, added that there was some advantage if the Playbook was bridged to a BB phone in some environments. There is nothing pecurliarly "secure" or "professional" about the Playbook--those terms are mere puffery used in RIM's advertising, and have no objective meaning here. (I do not have a BB phone, so will leave discussion of BB phones' security to others.) I like my Playbook, but with all tablets I know of, it is actually a very "insecure" device, compared to, say, my Windows 7 laptop, for which I have tools allowing strong encryption of communications and documents and whose SSD is encrypted on-the-fly at the hardware level.
    Is that not what I said? I said in use with the phone. When used with a BB phone the PB IS more secure than any other tab because our sensitive information is NOT retained on the PB when the bridge is closed. No other tab does that. You must not have read my post, because I said you were right, in that if used stand alone, the PB is no more secure than any other. Again I said if you steal my PB you have NONE of my sensitive communications. Period. Thats security.
    12-22-11 10:11 AM
    I don't know when in March it is, but the accounting year for government agencies ends. They tend to use it or loose it in regards to budgets, so the render will probably be awarded by March.
    The Canadian government fiscal year ends 31 March. Any goods ordered must be delivered to the government by that date to come out of this years budget. A sole source contract may be awarded when only one company is capable of providing the good or service. In this case, since the Dept has "a significant investment (both in architecture, licensing and servers) in the provisioning of a RIM infrastructure" only RIM can satisfy the requirement. Therefore....sole source and no other tablets need to be considered. It does have to be advertised for transparency and to allow other providers to dispute if there are grounds.
    12-22-11 03:33 PM
    Of course we are all wondering what they paid for each one.

As citizens of Canada, should you be angry if they paid one cent over the $199 fire sale prices? or are you happy that tax money is being wasted at higher prices to keep RIM in the game?
    12-22-11 03:49 PM
    I don't know when in March it is.
    Fiscal end:March 31
    12-22-11 04:33 PM
    Oh I didn't forget.

You're right.

The decision to screw all the provinces with health care funding cuts and yesterday's Tory MP who wants to reopen the abortion debate should get people up in arms. I swear, we're becoming more and more American and it's disgusting that the general populace doesn't care.

No offence to my fellow American forum members, but we've essentially elected your b@t$h!t crazy republicans here in sheep's clothing and they are doing what G.W. Bush did to your country.
    You must live in the east. Fact is, majority of Canadians WANT what Harper's government is giving us. Harper doesn't do anything without first consulting his internal poles which are extremely accurate, he then acts if the poles are 50%+ in favour. Sorry that the majority of Canadians want to be more like their American neighbours
    12-22-11 05:09 PM
    This makes me happy! I love hearing about good news!

Sent using my crackberry @ wapforums.crackberry.com (god I miss that signature!!!!!)
    hoovermac likes this.
    12-22-11 07:12 PM
    Oh I didn't forget.

You're right.

No offense to my fellow American forum members, but we've essentially elected your b@t$h!t crazy republicans here in sheep's clothing and they are doing what G.W. Bush did to your country.
    Please no politics on this site, it's not why I'm here. And check your facts, you are mistaken. PM if you want to why.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-22-11 07:59 PM
    cut the political stuff out or infractions will follow. This is happening way to often lately.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-22-11 08:01 PM
    500 by a Canadian agency, yawn....
    12-22-11 08:15 PM
    This is just a beginning with many more govt agencies and corporations around the world folloing suit...so I hope anyways.
    12-23-11 01:56 AM
    cut the political stuff out or infractions will follow. This is happening way to often lately.
    Listen up Smilin' Howard... There has been an increase in the number of infractions issued against valued members of this forum while the inflammatory trolls dance merrily around the rules with seeming impunity.

As the year winds down and a new year looms on the horizon I am trying to decide if CrackBerry remains relevant or merely a home for an ever increasing populace of trollish characters intent upon destroying the vibrant community of ideas we have come to appreciate.
    12-23-11 02:16 AM
    Listen up Smilin' Howard... There has been an increase in the number of infractions issued against valued members of this forum while the inflammatory trolls dance merrily around the rules with seeming impunity.

As the year winds down and a new year looms on the horizon I am trying to decide if CrackBerry remains relevant or merely a home for an ever increasing populace of trollish characters intent upon destroying the vibrant community of ideas we have come to appreciate.
    I won't argue with you, but I really don't see anything wrong with people pointing out obvious flaws or calling BS when they see it as long as it is done with facts and respectfully. A pure fanboy site would have very little value to most people and wouldn't be a "vibrant community." The political stuff above in this thread is unnecessary and totally off topic.

This thread is typical. "Mass" purchase. Sure maybe it will happen, in fact I hope it will, but an end of the fiscal year order of 500 PB by the Canadian government (in support of RIM no doubt) is hardly what most disinterested people would call a "mass" purchase. "Bulk" sure, but its hardly note worthy in my book. In fact, its a bit underwhelming.

I love my PB, but I would love it a lot more if it had native PIM, a real Office type suite, real Bluetooth, a real PDF manager and decent access to Netflix, Hulu and other more common sites that other tablets have access to. Pointing out these shortfalls doesn't make one a troll in my mind, just a slightly (over) demanding consumer.
    12-23-11 08:48 AM
    Of course we are all wondering what they paid for each one.

As citizens of Canada, should you be angry if they paid one cent over the $199 fire sale prices? or are you happy that tax money is being wasted at higher prices to keep RIM in the game?
    It is proposed to issue a contract to Research In Motion (RIM)
    or its designated reseller.

If I read it correctly, anybody that is an authorized reseller can bid on this contract, including American Companies (Best Buy), or Canadian companies, such as Rogers, Bell, and any of the Canadian private retailers that carry them. They will be sold at what ever the lowest bidders offer.
    12-23-11 09:31 AM
    Those who do not really understand the technology sometimes buy the puffery, or, even if they do know better, they feel the puffery gives them protective cover with their bosses. As we used to say, "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM..." The Playbook and a WiFi connection is not any more secure than an iPad and a WiFi connection, without more. Same goes for stolen devices with data on their SSDs. Don't believe me? Who cares...
    Here is a link to an article that does a comparison of the security of each of the major phone operating systems. Depending on the definition of what 'secure' means to the user, the results may be surprising!

Android vs iOS vs BlackBerry: Which is the most secure holiday gift? - CSO Online - Security and Risk
    12-23-11 12:51 PM
    If some part of the bureaucracy needs some sort of tablet to be efficient, they better be getting a playbook! Any other tablet would be a waste of taxpayer money. Especially something like an Ipad.
    Are you sure?

You can argue cost efficiency, but productivity on the two devices compared? Don't know if you can argue that the PB is better.

At original pricing, it's hard to argue for the PB.
    12-23-11 12:57 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD