I just love good news. Probably as much as certain others love bad news. I am the anti-bad news bear.
    So in case you logged in at forums.crackberry.com, don't miss this one:

BlackBerry developers make more money than Android and iOS developers
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-dev...ios-developers

It only makes sense - the android/ipad app market has to be saturated by now.
    I'm quitting my job. Look for the blackjack app coming to a playbook near you!

If developers are happy, its a good sign we will all be happy

Night night this is just the bedtime story I needed to sleep like a baby......

Zzzzzzzzz
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-24-11 at 02:35 AM.
    09-24-11 02:32 AM
    The Sun Always Shines On TV...

Great news!
    09-24-11 02:42 AM
    I did an interview to our local devs, and one thing that made them creating PB apps is the support for Adobe Flash and Air.
    They found it easier and the respond from putting it in App World is quite fast (on the contrary for IM+ app).
    Oh well, hope this good news continue to bring good news to PB users also
    chiefbroski likes this.
    09-24-11 06:20 AM
    Lemme guess Blackjack... Once again you didn't bother reading the article, but just saw the headline and liked it, right?

Well, no worries... Here's the rest of it:

"Android also came out on top as the best app store for developers over the long term"

"Of course, with Blackberry losing a lot of the market share it once had, it might not be a very attractive operating system to develop for much longer. Larger prices but lower sales might just average out or result in losses, compared to a more competitively priced and better selling app in the Android or Apple app stores."
    OniBerry likes this.
    09-24-11 06:31 AM
    I just love good news. Probably as much as certain others love bad news. I am the anti-bad news bear.
    So in case you logged in at forums.crackberry.com, don't miss this one:

BlackBerry developers make more money than Android and iOS developers
    BlackBerry developers make more money than Android and iOS developers | CrackBerry.com

It only makes sense - the android/ipad app market has to be saturated by now.
    I'm quitting my job. Look for the blackjack app coming to a playbook near you!

If developers are happy, its a good sign we will all be happy

Night night this is just the bedtime story I needed to sleep like a baby......

Zzzzzzzzz
    The article that you posted is misleading in many ways. My advice is not to quit your job too soon. My app is finally getting noticed (thanks again for the CB bump) but I still need my day job.
    09-24-11 06:36 AM
    For another thread about this, and a more indepth explanation on why the article is misleading, check out this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...-money-653305/
    09-24-11 06:42 AM
    If this is true, then where are the apps?
    Cozmik likes this.
    09-24-11 06:43 AM
    I did an interview to our local devs, and one thing that made them creating PB apps is the support for Adobe Flash and Air.
    They found it easier and the respond from putting it in App World is quite fast (on the contrary for IM+ app).
    Oh well, hope this good news continue to bring good news to PB users also
    This is certainly news for me. It is a myth that the AIR SDK easier to masterr than Java. Java programmers like myself were quite disappointed that RIM forced us to learn AS3 but the learning curve is quite short for an experienced programmer. PlayBook is not the nirvana that you suggest. The user base is quite small and AIR lacks APIs for Blutooth, USB, magnetometer and many important BB-specific APIs.
    09-24-11 07:02 AM
    Unfortunately, this article fails to mention that 75-85% of all app revenue goes to iOS developers (look it up, it's true). The remaining 15-25% is split among all other mobile platforms (including Android and RIM). Among RIM's slice of that, the article would imply that 13% of them make over $100K on an app. I think the article is about being a big fish in a very small pond.

You'll know when BlackBerry platforms matter to developers when they developers start flocking to them. We won't need statistics or surveys to understand that.
    09-24-11 08:28 AM
    Unfortunately most bb apps are overpriced tat that would be free on any other platform. The only app for me that is a must have is berrybuzz (bebuzz now for some reason) and i own 9 copies of it. On the pb there isnt a single must have app that i have yet to find. I buy the newsreaders (newspile being my latest) and have been very let down. I really hope the ndk brings some quality apps to the platform.
    09-24-11 08:30 AM
    Unfortunately most bb apps are overpriced tat that would be free on any other platform. The only app for me that is a must have is berrybuzz (bebuzz now for some reason) and i own 9 copies of it. On the pb there isnt a single must have app that i have yet to find. I buy the newsreaders (newspile being my latest) and have been very let down. I really hope the ndk brings some quality apps to the platform.
    Larger user base = increased ROI for developers = more developers

Thje NDK will not bring a flood of quality apps to the platform because the NDK alone will not attract a flood of competent developers to the platform.

Consumers expect cheap quality software but most of them do not realize that "cheap" and "quality" are mutually exclusive terms. In the digital market economy, developers cannot charge a higher price for a better quality product. Those that have attempted this strategy are greeted with the complaint that their products are "overpriced".

In a robust market, developers can rely on a significantly higher volume of sales to justify low prices. This model simply does not apply to PlayBook. I have no doubt that things will improve over time but it will be a long slow incremental process.
    09-24-11 10:01 AM
    Well, from what I've seen and heard (from brother in law writes iphone and android apps), most developers prefer those 2. He says from his apps its easier to format one app between those then to expand it to blackberry. Now i dont writes apps or know anything about writing them, so i can not validate this. He also said that to send an existing app to bb takes rewriting the whole thing. Now if thats true, i understand developers catering to those. You can write one app and very easily code to two OS's. It's good that blackberry developers get paid more, its at least some incentive to keep them around!
    09-24-11 10:05 AM
    If this is true, then where are the apps?
    Please! He mentioned he liked good news so don't let reality intrude on his dreams (and our nightmares).
    09-24-11 10:14 AM
    Always a good incentive for a new developer
    09-24-11 10:29 AM
    Unfortunately most bb apps are overpriced tat that would be free on any other platform. The only app for me that is a must have is berrybuzz (bebuzz now for some reason) and i own 9 copies of i
    WHAT?!? NINE COPIES?!?

Why on earth is that? Did it get stuck while you were buying it, and you clicked the button nine times, or what?

On the Android Market you just buy it once, and then download it for free to any other devices you might have. Any purchases are tied to your account, and you can have multiple devices tied to each account. That way you don't need to pay extra to have an app you allready bought working on your tablet.
    09-24-11 11:53 AM
    WHAT?!? NINE COPIES?!?

Why on earth is that? Did it get stuck while you were buying it, and you clicked the button nine times, or what?

On the Android Market you just buy it once, and then download it for free to any other devices you might have. Any purchases are tied to your account, and you can have multiple devices tied to each account. That way you don't need to pay extra to have an app you allready bought working on your tablet.
    So that's why Android app developers can't get more revenue than on BB?
    No wonder..
    09-24-11 12:21 PM
    No wonder..
    Huh? Why on earth would you think that? Oh... You saw the headline of that article Blackjack posted, obviously didn't bother reading it, and conveniently ignored that BB has around 10% the developers and apps that Android has. Got it!
    09-24-11 12:31 PM
    Lemme guess Blackjack... Once again you didn't bother reading the article, but just saw the headline and liked it, right?

Well, no worries... Here's the rest of it:

"Android also came out on top as the best app store for developers over the long term"

"Of course, with Blackberry losing a lot of the market share it once had, it might not be a very attractive operating system to develop for much longer. Larger prices but lower sales might just average out or result in losses, compared to a more competitively priced and better selling app in the Android or Apple app stores."

WTF Are you talking about?

Here's the article verbatim:
    We all know that RIM has been the center of a ton of negative attention, and many people complain that there are not enough applications out there, but is that the developers fault, or the ecosystems fault? A recent study that was performed by Evans Data Corp set out to gather the facts, and to see on which platform the developers made the most money, and the results are shocking. 400 commercial developers were interviewed and the results showed that 13% of BlackBerry developers make over $100,000 from their application, which they say is "considerably more than Android or iOS developers."

Of course this doesn't hold for every developer, not just anyone who submits an application to AppWorld is going to make over $100,000, but it does show that the BlackBerry ecosystem is strong, users are willing to buy applications, we just need people to continue to develop them.

So developers, now that you know the potential how many of you are off to sign up for the upcoming Hackathon events and bring BlackBerry the applications that we dream for?

Source: Evans Data Corp; via Yahoo
    I have to ask though, why does the idea of Playbook succeeding trouble you so ? Apparently you don't even have one, don't you have something better to do? What's with the vendetta, what did it do to you?

Strange behavior.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-24-11 at 01:15 PM.
    09-24-11 12:41 PM
    No wonder..
    It's the same thing on iOS. Buy it once and you are good for any iOS device you have.

I remember buying QuickLaunch twice and it was kind of annoying, but I paid it anyway because the app is extremely useful on a BB.

Same goes with BeeJive unless you buy the license. This is not the case on other platforms. No license. One time purchase and done. For iOS users the app remains on you iTunes account, and for Android users the app is tied to your Google account.

There were a few other apps for BBs that I had to buy multiple times due to getting a new device. I have yet to have to do this on Android or iOS. Makes things much easier IMO. I'm all for supporting developers, but I'm not about to pay them for the same app right after I have to pay for a new device. One of the reason I left BB.
    09-24-11 12:42 PM
    The article that you posted is misleading in many ways. My advice is not to quit your job too soon. My app is finally getting noticed (thanks again for the CB bump) but I still need my day job.
    Please tell misleading how so?
    The article does not suggest that anyone who writes an app is going to make money, only that 13 percent who did made over $100,000. I mean, its gotta be a good app that people are willing to pay for, that is well reviewed...not to say anything about yours, (no idea what it is). It would be interesting to know exactly WHICH apps fall in that 13 %.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-24-11 at 01:18 PM.
    09-24-11 12:48 PM
    This is certainly news for me. It is a myth that the AIR SDK easier to masterr than Java. Java programmers like myself were quite disappointed that RIM forced us to learn AS3 but the learning curve is quite short for an experienced programmer. PlayBook is not the nirvana that you suggest. The user base is quite small and AIR lacks APIs for Blutooth, USB, magnetometer and many important BB-specific APIs.
    I know only a little about Air SDK, but he did mentioned Adobe Flash.
    It's a mature programming, and creating app or game based on Flash is easier. (based on what he said).
    And if you been wondering what kind of app/game did the dev that I interviewed create?
    Check this out
    The Lost Komodo - Help the baby Komodo in this beautiful game for BlackBerry PlayBook | CrackBerry.com
    Huh? Why on earth would you think that? Oh... You saw the headline of that article Blackjack posted, obviously didn't bother reading it, and conveniently ignored that BB has around 10% the developers and apps that Android has. Got it!
    It's a simple logic.
    One app bought several times by BB a single user when changing devices.
    One app bought only once by Android or iOS user with their iTunes Account or Google Account.
    It's the same thing on iOS. Buy it once and you are good for any iOS device you have.

I remember buying QuickLaunch twice and it was kind of annoying, but I paid it anyway because the app is extremely useful on a BB.

Same goes with BeeJive unless you buy the license. This is not the case on other platforms. No license. One time purchase and done. For iOS users the app remains on you iTunes account, and for Android users the app is tied to your Google account.

There were a few other apps for BBs that I had to buy multiple times due to getting a new device. I have yet to have to do this on Android or iOS. Makes things much easier IMO. I'm all for supporting developers, but I'm not about to pay them for the same app right after I have to pay for a new device. One of the reason I left BB.
    Thanks for the heads up. It helps me to answer the above post.

So to sums it up, it appears the article is correct based on those proofs right?
    As an Android, BB, and PlayBook users. I found the license of apps attached to PIN is irritating since I need to buy it again when I change BB. But the point of this thread is correct nonetheless.
    09-24-11 01:03 PM
    So to sums it up, it appears the article is correct based on those proofs right?
    As an Android, BB, and PlayBook users. I found the license of apps attached to PIN is irritating since I need to buy it again when I change BB. But the point of this thread is correct nonetheless.
    Yes. It definitely helps developers that if you want an app on BB that you already paid for on a different device that you have to buy it again (unless you can get the dev to send you the app free if they honor your previous purchase, that never worked for me though).

I believe the article states that Android is more profitable in the long run though. I may have to read it again.
    09-24-11 01:28 PM
    I buy a copy for each of my phones, so currently 9 copies. I could but it once from appworld the same as on android but I don't really use appworld, I use mobihand.

WHAT?!? NINE COPIES?!?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-11 01:56 PM
    While this may look to be a good thing for some developers, this is actually a bad thing for BB users and reflects badly on the BB platform. It could be looked at as a simple supply and demand issue. If you look at the quality of apps available for PB, OS7, and even OS6 the selection is pretty bad. That means whenever a semi-good app is developed users are more likely to purchase it because there is nothing better avaliable. Angry Farm is a great example. Is it a good game? Relative to what else is avaliable, "Yes". Does it hold a candle to Angry Birds, "H*ll No", and versions of Angry Birds are free on the other major platforms. Plus since Angry Farm is the only thing avaliable, the developer can charge $4.99!!
    09-24-11 02:26 PM
    While this may look to be a good thing for some developers, this is actually a bad thing for BB users and reflects badly on the BB platform. It could be looked at as a simple supply and demand issue. If you look at the quality of apps available for PB, OS7, and even OS6 the selection is pretty bad. That means whenever a semi-good app is developed users are more likely to purchase it because there is nothing better avaliable. Angry Farm is a great example. Is it a good game? Relative to what else is avaliable, "Yes". Does it hold a candle to Angry Birds, "H*ll No", and versions of Angry Birds are free on the other major platforms. Plus since Angry Farm is the only thing avaliable, the developer can charge $4.99!!
    True, all valid reasoning but the point is that it will improve if more developers are attracted to the platform.
    Money tends to do that - especially for pro quality developers, rather than just hobbyists or people who put out a crapapp just to get a free playbook.

Remember its QUALITY that really counts, not quantity. I am happy to pay a lot more for quality.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-25-11 at 01:24 AM.
    09-24-11 02:29 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD