Hopefully, by the end of the month I'll have a nice, shiny, brand new PlayBook in my hands bridged to my Storm. I've convinced myself that I don't need to buy another BB phone until they are 4G and WiFi hotspot capable.

So the debate I'm having with myself (and dammit, I'm gonna win ) is: once that 4G BB is available, do we still need to bother with another full screen BB?

The primary reason I got the Storm, followed by the Storm2, was that I couldn't stand trying to read emails/texts, look at pictures, or watch videos/movies on the small screen of the more traditional BB form factors. BUT, now that I'm going to get a PB and have that dreamy (relatively) large screen for reading emails/texts, looking at pictures and watching videos/movies I don't know if I should bother with another full screen phone.

Obviously RIM should make the successor to the Storm line for those people that don't get the PB, but for those of us that do get one, are we really going to need it? I don't plan on ever being w/o my PB (within reason), so needing the large screen of a full screen BB is gonna be kindof a moot point. Do I go back to the more traditional form factor?

What do you guys think?
    03-01-11 04:25 PM
    Hopefully, by the end of the month I'll have a nice, shiny, brand new PlayBook in my hands bridged to my Storm. I've convinced myself that I don't need to buy another BB phone until they are 4G and WiFi hotspot capable.

So the debate I'm having with myself (and dammit, I'm gonna win ) is: once that 4G BB is available, do we still need to bother with another full screen BB?

The primary reason I got the Storm, followed by the Storm2, was that I couldn't stand trying to read emails/texts, look at pictures, or watch videos/movies on the small screen of the more traditional BB form factors. BUT, now that I'm going to get a PB and have that dreamy (relatively) large screen for reading emails/texts, looking at pictures and watching videos/movies I don't know if I should bother with another full screen phone.

Obviously RIM should make the successor to the Storm line for those people that don't get the PB, but for those of us that do get one, are we really going to need it? I don't plan on ever being w/o my PB (within reason), so needing the large screen of a full screen BB is gonna be kindof a moot point. Do I go back to the more traditional form factor?

What do you guys think?
    I have a Storm2 and i'm getting the PlayBook. I'm also getting the "Monaco" because my S2 is in desperate need of an upgrade. It still runs great, however the technology on the "Monaco" is more on par with today's world.
    03-01-11 04:35 PM
    I love my Torch, but I'll wait until I've used my PlayBook for a while (2 1/2 years at this point) to decide. If I never play games or watch movies or anything on my Torch, then I'd be much better off with a Bold or Curve or Pearl... Wait and see I guess.
    03-01-11 05:42 PM
    That's what I'm thinking. If I still use the Storm for the occasional video or a lot of pictures, I'll probably go with the Monaco too. Emails and text messages I guess I'm not really concerned about now that I've thought about it. But if I stop using the phone for pics, videos, and internet for the most part, I'm thinking I'll move to a Bold or Curve model. Just not 100% sure tho.
    03-01-11 09:11 PM
    That's what I'm thinking. If I still use the Storm for the occasional video or a lot of pictures, I'll probably go with the Monaco too. Emails and text messages I guess I'm not really concerned about now that I've thought about it. But if I stop using the phone for pics, videos, and internet for the most part, I'm thinking I'll move to a Bold or Curve model. Just not 100% sure tho.
    I'm not gonna have my PB everywhere. Beach? no, i'll have my monaco. on the boat? monaco. walking around the mall? monaco the PB won't go with me everywhere so i still need my big screen. i have considered the montana but choose the monaco
    Last edited by dsquared2; 03-01-11 at 09:23 PM.
    03-01-11 09:18 PM
    I'm not gonna have my PB everywhere. Beach? no, i'll have my monaco. on the boat? monaco. the PB won't go with me everywhere so i still need my big screen. i have considered the montana but choose the monaco
    You're exactly right about not having the PB everywhere which is why I also put the "w/in reason" in my post. I'm just wondering how much I'll need my phone when I'm at the beach or on a boat or wherever (I'm picturing football games). I'm sure I'll be taking videos and pics and sending the occasional text, but enough to warrant another touchscreen?
    03-01-11 09:26 PM
    You're exactly right about not having the PB everywhere which is why I also put the "w/in reason" in my post. I'm just wondering how much I'll need my phone when I'm at the beach or on a boat or wherever (I'm picturing football games). I'm sure I'll be taking videos and pics and sending the occasional text, but enough to warrant another touchscreen?
    I can't type on those physical keyboards like i can with suretype, click or not. and i appreciate the two keyboard options: portrait suretype and landscape full keyboard. portrait for a quick search or text and landscape for typing in passwords and websites
    03-01-11 09:32 PM
    Good call. I didn't think about the benefit of SureType vs the full keyboard. Honestly, that may have been the selling point for me to get the Monaco vs traditional keyboard. I love SureType (and SurePress too but that's another story).
    03-01-11 09:36 PM
    I actually faced this decision back in January as well. I had an upgrade from my Storm 1 ever since last May but waited on news from the Storm 3. Eventually, the Storm 1 had become too slow and was really bothering me. Knowing that the Playbook would be coming out, I made the decision to upgrade to a Bold and the Playbook would satisfy my touchscreen needs. I loved my Storm but am happy with my final decision. I think it does come down to personal preference and RIM appears to be having a nice selection of phones coming out in the future.
    03-01-11 09:49 PM
    I’m thinking of pairing up a PB with my Storm for a while; I’m due an upgrade end of April but I want to see how my usage pattern pans out with PB & BB.
    If I do most of my browsing etc.. on the PB then a Bold/Curve 3G may suffice; or I could wait for the Monaco/Dakota/Apollo. Better to see how it works out in practice first.
    03-02-11 08:25 AM
    Good thread... I was thinking about this same thing the other day.

For me I was counting the months until my upgrade from my Tour that has given me nothing but trouble since I purchased it. 3 devices later and I finally have a solid phone that is working well. I now to not feel any need to upgrade my Tour since most of the features I want are going to be on the PB. I do not think I will buy a phone until the QNX bb's are out.

Heck I was even thinking it of taking it a step further and buying the LTE PB and going to a dumbphone. That might be hard to do b/c while the PB is portable I can't fit it in my pocket.
    03-02-11 08:44 AM
    I have a Storm 1 and I am allowed to upgrade since last month. My wife got a Bold in September because she was do for an upgrade and I left my phone down the shore so I took her dumb phone for a week and she finally upgraded. I can see myself switching to the Bold (next generation probably) since I rarely watch videos on my phone now. I am definitely getting a playbook regardless of what my next phone will be. I like the full screen for reading but I will have to play with my current setup Storm/Playbook for a while to see what I turn to.
    03-02-11 09:44 AM
    Spreadsheets and drawings are just so much better when you double the screen size. I'll be sticking with something "full screen"
    03-02-11 09:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD