Hey guys,

I'm a physician at a large university hospital. We have a contract with Verizon and with RIMM. All of the physicians get free Blackberries to use to stay connected, receive pages, and access patient charts through EMR (electronic medical record). So our hospital is getting the playbook for all physicians that are interested so the Senior Account Manager for Healthcare came by today to demo the device. The one he brought was very sluggish due to it only being a single core processor device. But other than that it was quite nice and will have access for our PACS system (radiology system to view films), Billing system and EMR system. Totally excited, I'll post more info as it becomes available. I think the sluggishness of the single-core version will be resolved once the dual-core version comes to us. We are slated to be the first ones in Virginia and the East Coast to receive the playbook.

Thanks
    UrbanGlowCam and 1812dave like this.
    01-12-11 06:32 PM
    Hey guys,

I'm a physician at a large university hospital. We have a contract with Verizon and with RIMM. All of the physicians get free Blackberries to use to stay connected, receive pages, and access patient charts through EMR (electronic medical record). So our hospital is getting the playbook for all physicians that are interested so the Senior Account Manager for Healthcare came by today to demo the device. The one he brought was very sluggish due to it only being a single core processor device. But other than that it was quite nice and will have access for our PACS system (radiology system to view films), Billing system and EMR system. Totally excited, I'll post more info as it becomes available. I think the sluggishness of the single-core version will be resolved once the dual-core version comes to us. We are slated to be the first ones in Virginia and the East Coast to receive the playbook.

Thanks
    What software is your hospital running? Meditech?
    How did PACS work? wirelessly? did you have to transfer the disk over some how or did it interface directly? does the Hospital have a BES?
    for EMR what system are you guys using?
    01-12-11 06:37 PM
    Are you sure it was a single core and not dual that just hadn't been optimized to take advantage of the 2nd core?

Just asking. I just don't understand why RIMM would make a single core unit to demo with to potential buyers....

Oh and lucky dog

I could probably get the company to buy me one since I'm IT but think I'll buy my own.

I do wonder if places like CDW,Insight etc will carry them. I need to contact my rep and see if they will and if I can get a few dollars knocked off
    01-12-11 06:39 PM
    Awesome! That's really cool.

I gotta say that it was most likely the dual core model optimized for just the single core.

Also, there was another rep demonstrating the Playbook on a video just posted yesterday. Was it similar to this?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/pl...-video-575379/
    01-12-11 06:41 PM
    So I asked about the single core issue, the account manager said they were actually planning on releasing in time for Christmas, but they decided at the last minute to change it to dual core and pushed it back for Q1 2011. He said this demo unit was one of the original single-core's they made. It was definitely sluggish on demo. But not too bad actually, so I'm sure the dual core model will be much better.
    01-12-11 06:45 PM
    We use Cerner for EMR, Stentor for PACS and the films are loaded on a local server directly from radiology if they are done in house, and uploaded via disk if they are external scans. We use Patient Keeper for billing.
    01-12-11 06:46 PM
    Yeah the accelerometer was working, you can go to the Settings and see the raw data from the accelerometer for the X, Y and Z axes. Kinda cool actually. I was also impressed with the screen, the quality of the pictures and video was quite striking.
    01-12-11 06:52 PM
    Cool! Thanks for sharing Rajiv. Can't wait to see it in person!
    01-12-11 06:54 PM
    Wow, how neat! Lucky you! Hope it comes out SOON!
    01-12-11 06:56 PM
    We use Cerner for EMR, Stentor for PACS and the films are loaded on a local server directly from radiology if they are done in house, and uploaded via disk if they are external scans. We use Patient Keeper for billing.

I'm going to have to research into these,

I'm fearful that Meditech wont integrate at all
    01-12-11 07:05 PM
    How bad was the single core? Would it be feasible on a phone? I'm hoping RIM ports the new OS to their phones soon...

01-12-11 07:07 PM

I do wonder if places like CDW,Insight etc will carry them. I need to contact my rep and see if they will and if I can get a few dollars knocked off
    My CDW rep tells me that they will be carrying the Play Book. She also said that she will be watching for CDW to assign a SKU number and that as soon as one is assigned she'll enter an order for me. That will place me at the front of the Que so that when the Playbooks actually show up I'll be able to get one of the first ones out the door. The only problem is that after my experience with the Torch I'm not so sure I want to be a guinea pig again.
    01-13-11 01:18 AM
    Will you be getting a discount from your Rep at CDW? I'm thinking about emailing mine and having him keep an eye out for pricing for that and the Xoom.

I'm still not sure which way I want to go

PB still not sure how the email going to work, Xoom 10" but mostly the price will make it unobtainable for me.

Either way I don't want to be the 1st one out of the door. I want to go see one in person.
    01-13-11 07:57 AM
    My CDW rep tells me that they will be carrying the Play Book. She also said that she will be watching for CDW to assign a SKU number and that as soon as one is assigned she'll enter an order for me. That will place me at the front of the Que so that when the Playbooks actually show up I'll be able to get one of the first ones out the door. The only problem is that after my experience with the Torch I'm not so sure I want to be a guinea pig again.
    No I am confident this tablet is gonna rock ... Okay the tablet market is heating up competition wise and I'm not confident this one will be out by the time equivalent products will be out by the competition buuuuut non the less this will not be a disappointment. Too many good reviews.

Hope I don't have to eat crow again like I did on the S1.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-11 09:15 AM
    rajiv365, you won't happen to be working for UVA would you?

01-14-11 11:29 AM
    rajiv365, you won't happen to be working for UVA would you?

Close, I work for MCV

01-15-11 08:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD