Thanks everyone for your input into the forums. I have 11 days left until my birthday and can’t wait until I get to unwrap the playbook and cover I ordered for it. I’ve been reading all the forum input and think I’m ready for putting it into operation. I’m already considering the Bluetooth keyboard as an accessory that I can use in the office and in board meetings to take notes, etc.. Yep, I’m holding out until 13 June to unwrap the Playbook, to keep the wife happy, but its killing me to wait. Keep up the great posts so beginners like me can learn and become an expert like you all. Also, when I move from Germany to Texas in July, I’m getting the BB Bold 9930 to go with my Playbook. Please feel free to give beginners advice and recommendations on both devices, as I really like this forum and am feeling quite at home here. I’ve even updated my profile picture so everyone can see who I am, although the picture requirements are quite small. Take care everyone and have a great but safe weekend!
    Lenny
    sputneek likes this.
    06-02-12 06:01 AM
    You are one though cookie Hypnotism did'nt even work. One thing you can do to pass the time is go pick yourself up a HDMI cable for the thing, a must have as far as I'm concerned.
    jafobabe and lcjr like this.
    06-02-12 09:28 AM
    Will replace the mass of the PB nicely in the box................................

THEN you can hang out in the closet doing the updates and loading your Apps. Parents shouldn't find out.................................

C
    I heard the "Low Battery" indicator for the first time ever (Even though I've had my PlayBook since February 2012) and MAN is it loud
    06-02-12 10:59 AM
    I hope you don't have higher expectations... Because if you do, you most likely will be disappointed just like I did! First of all if you're a teenage, you will be way behind of most of your android and ios friends on the media aspects of instant messaging or video calling features.. PlayBook lacks most of them or the most important.

After you get bored of browsing for a few days and then you decide to play some cool games, you need to make sure you got a credit card with a good amount of balance, because again you will be disappointed! Every cool game or app is for purchase in app world, so if you really don't wanna get bored or want at least 80% of productivity with your new tablet you need to be ready to spend some money. Unlikely android or ios you get more games or more productive apps at no cost... So be ready for that

And when you decide you want to stream some quality shows or movies and you decide to look for netflix don't even bother, because isn't there

I hope you had done some research before you even consider playbook as a gift, because if you didn't, like I did...you will be disappointed too.
    How often will you be video chatting? Do you really think that teenagers just video chat on Skype through a tablet all day long?

The fact that on iOS you NEED a third party video player to play video files OTHER than those in .MP4 is what I would consider "lacking in the media department", RIM's devices, smartphone and tablet included have always had pretty good out of the box compatibility with a lot of common formats for media, most of the time you don't have to convert anything to work.

Your next point is about App World. Angry Birds Space HD on the iPad $2.99. Angry Birds Space HD on the BlackBerry PlayBook $2.99. Again, many people don't realize that the PlayBook has a tablet oriented application storefront. This means you can't simply compare iPhone apps to PlayBook app prices because once you realize certain apps on iOS are more expensive on the iPad in their "HD" designation than on the iPhone/iPod Touch with the regular designation it makes sense.

Is Netflix the ONLY media streaming service?

Sorry if the PlayBook isn't meant for you, perhaps they should have a warning label on the PlayBook that states "Competency is required"
    sputneek, Cracklen and hpjrt like this.
    06-02-12 11:09 AM
    You will LOVE the 9930. The best phone I've owned yet, and a true work/communication tool. It has so many UI features and functionality integrations that after 8 months I'm still amazed at this phone. The touchscreen gestures and functions are so similar to the PB, they make the perfect pair. I have become so dependent on the pair of these great devices at work that I would be lost without them. We have a couple of hard core Apple fanboys at work that grudgingly admit since they've been forced to use them that they now understand why they're considered THE communication and productivity tools.

One word of personal advice. I've only been a member of this forum since last September, but a long time lurker and BB owner. My experience and from what I've concluded from reading these and other forums for the last three years is that many, not all, issues users have are possibly caused or worsened by loading betas, leaks, sideloads and incorrect OS updating. If you aren't in to experimenting or playing around with your OS and willing to deal with possible consequences I would avoid it.

You've researched and are going in with your eyes open, unlike some who blame and rant on a device for their own lack of common sense. You'll be very pleased with your decision. Congrats and welcome.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-02-12 at 12:44 PM.
    jafobabe and lcjr like this.
    06-02-12 12:41 PM
    Just wanted to add my thanks for your service. Good wishes to you and yours.
    lcjr likes this.
    06-02-12 01:40 PM
    Good for you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. Dispite the wining you may see on here, it truly is a fantastic little tablet.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    lcjr likes this.
    06-02-12 02:10 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD