Some screenshots fresh fm pb..

Attachment 112500

Attachment 112507
    Last edited by varunsain; 06-21-12 at 01:03 AM.
    06-20-12 02:57 PM
    And? I think most searches give the same results. I don't like the ones new that use your search he's no matter how much they say it improves my experience. BS just a way for them to data mine and profile.
    madman0141 likes this.
    06-20-12 02:59 PM
    Yeah, what about it? Bing looks better?

As for results, I usually have a hard time with bing. But, let's try a simple experiment...

06-20-12 03:05 PM
    my wife likes to use both when searching for images, since (she claims) they give different results.
    Willard814 likes this.
    06-20-12 03:07 PM
    I like bing better until the browser gives a javascript error on the cool active background
    06-20-12 03:11 PM
    I like bing better until the browser gives a javascript error on the cool active background
    Using a hipster browser are you?
    dave1701 likes this.
    06-20-12 03:38 PM
    And? I think most searches give the same results. I don't like the ones new that use your search he's no matter how much they say it improves my experience. BS just a way for them to data mine and profile.
    It's the same stuff repackaged, it is personal preference if you like one or the other. Then you also have others using yahoo or other smaller engines to get to the same place. I view it like Coke vs Pepsi they are both sodas and some people drink others like RC.
    06-20-12 03:57 PM
    if you wanted fancy pictures on the google home page just use igoogle.
    06-20-12 04:21 PM
    I'm trying to like Bing better. I'm using the Bing app. But Google gives me better results.
    dave1701 likes this.
    06-20-12 04:24 PM
    But Google gives me better results.
    Just out of curiosity, how specifically are Google's resulst better? Does Google just happen to send the kinds of results you have in mind whereas Bing sends other stuff? Or does Google show more pages of content that you can use for whatever your purposes are?

I'm not at all trying to be an arse by asking this question, and I don't have a favorite search engine to protect or promote -- I've just never known how one search engine can be better than another when they're all really working from the same pool of findable results. I understand that one might have a different algorithm that ranks and displays the results differently than another, and/or maybe they use crawlers differently to view and document each web page, but are the search engines actually finding different stuff . . . or are they just showing the same results on different pages/rankings that may or may not coincidentally be what you had in mind when you searched (but which might have been exactly what somebody else was thinking of when they searched for the same topic)?
    06-20-12 04:50 PM
    Just out of curiosity, how specifically are Google's resulst better? Does Google just happen to send the kinds of results you have in mind whereas Bing sends other stuff? Or does Google show more pages of content that you can use for whatever your purposes are?

I'm not at all trying to be an arse by asking this question, and I don't have a favorite search engine to protect or promote -- I've just never known how one search engine can be better than another when they're all really working from the same pool of findable results. I understand that one might have a different algorithm that ranks and displays the results differently than another, and/or maybe they use crawlers differently to view and document each web page, but are the search engines actually finding different stuff . . . or are they just showing the same results on different pages/rankings that may or may not coincidentally be what you had in mind when you searched (but which might have been exactly what somebody else was thinking of when they searched for the same topic)?
    Pretty much, yeah...

Things like big brands, "blackberry", "crackberry", "apple"... Results are fairly the same, a few things differ but mostly the same content.

If I am trying to find a paper, reference material for an article, if I search a person's name.... Then Bing gives me a hard time while Google usually delivers fast results.

EDIT: Thanks to Bing, I now know some spanish kid shares my name. He better not taint it... Else... �� Well, back to the point. He's nowhere to be seen in Google...
    Last edited by diegonei; 06-20-12 at 05:25 PM.
    06-20-12 05:15 PM
    I've run a bunch of tests between Chrome19, IE10 with and without personal data and found that Google produces more relevant results and usually delivers them faster.

I used to think like that and Google gave me very fine control over personal info. Eventually I decided to take off my tinfoil hat and found that Google is very responsible with personal info and they put it to good use. I get even better results, more features, and ads that are actually worth clicking on.
    06-20-12 05:34 PM
    So for example when I ask a question in Google V Bing it seems Google gives back sites that answers the questions whereas Bing gives general info sites. I can't explain it well.

I want to dump Google on my BlackBerry so badly!
    dave1701 likes this.
    06-20-12 05:37 PM
    I'm trying to like Bing better. I'm using the Bing app. But Google gives me better results.
    I don't think there is any doubt. Bing is not as good as Google. And it's not hard to find that out.
    dave1701 likes this.
    06-20-12 05:40 PM
    Can they improve it?
    06-20-12 05:43 PM
    Can they improve it?
    I doubt it very much. imo Google has been at this for too long for Bing to ever catch up. I am a big MicroSoft fan but when it comes to search engines, Google has the best by a mile.

Google, to me, seems to give simple results whereas Bing always seems to try and make decisions for me. Turns out I'm better at that than Bing is and my decision right now is to not use Bing simply because it tries to outguess me.
    Willard814 likes this.
    06-20-12 06:08 PM
    And still, we have no idea what the OP wanted when he posted those two screenshots. ^^
    Hgouck and BBMINI like this.
    06-20-12 06:14 PM
    What I really like is, ever since 2.1, whenever I search for something using the URL input field, occasionally it will bring up Bing---even though I have the Search Engine setting explicitly set to Google. Microsoft, if you're listening, I want Bing Maps (and my GPS) back---not Bing!
    06-20-12 09:04 PM
    I doubt it very much. imo Google has been at this for too long for Bing to ever catch up. I am a big MicroSoft fan but when it comes to search engines, Google has the best by a mile.

Google, to me, seems to give simple results whereas Bing always seems to try and make decisions for me. Turns out I'm better at that than Bing is and my decision right now is to not use Bing simply because it tries to outguess me.
    That's why they're working with Yahoo. I use both search engines (Bing by default) and both are good. Once in a while I don't get the right results, so I try Google. About 1/4 (maybe) of the time I get good results with Google. Part of the reason I prefer Bing is that I've been able to get websites onto the search results faster.

Oh, and you can set a background on Google. You can't have it change automatically every day, but you can set it.
    06-21-12 01:09 AM
    Haha SOrry guys I completely forgot bout this thread!! I got busy searching the web!!

Every search engine has a different method of processing the data and gives unique search results. Moreso - Bing search behaves differently when I search via playbook. The search result differ from my desktop and my PB. It's mainly because my desktop and PB are on different Internet connections. So the location is different.

Yeah, what about it? Bing looks better?

As for results, I usually have a hard time with bing. But, let's try a simple experiment...

Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image
    Bing looks beautiful.. Very professional and detailed. I think it is amazing. The search results.. not the same case though I have to agree. However, I have noticed the search results being more professionally oriented in Bing and Google being more about simply catching the keywords all over the Internet.

my wife likes to use both when searching for images, since (she claims) they give different results.
    I love searching for images through Bing specially on the PlayBook. Once you open a picture, you will notice that you have many more options in Bing like related images, thumbnails of searched images, website info, etc. etc. Where as in Google search, the image comes up in a small pop-up box, overlay on the original website and very basic and minimal info on the right.

So for Google new tabs have to be used and even the Image search results do not work smoothly.

Pretty much, yeah...

Things like big brands, "blackberry", "crackberry", "apple"... Results are fairly the same, a few things differ but mostly the same content.

If I am trying to find a paper, reference material for an article, if I search a person's name.... Then Bing gives me a hard time while Google usually delivers fast results.

EDIT: Thanks to Bing, I now know some spanish kid shares my name. He better not taint it... Else... �� Well, back to the point. He's nowhere to be seen in Google...
    I can't understand the priority of Bing searches. Google is keyword and analytic but Bing somewhere differs. Sure, it's a work in progress.

So for example when I ask a question in Google V Bing it seems Google gives back sites that answers the questions whereas Bing gives general info sites. I can't explain it well.

I want to dump Google on my BlackBerry so badly!
    I have dumped Google completely but have to fall back when I need some serious quick searching. Otherwise, Bing results are somehow more productive. Google always makes me waste time on websites I wouldn't have cared about.

But the truth here is I understand how Google searches now and I can easily play around with keywords to find my result, but Bing I have not discovered yet so getting the same results can take longer.

I don't think there is any doubt. Bing is not as good as Google. And it's not hard to find that out.
    Not true. I would recommend Bing anyday.

And still, we have no idea what the OP wanted when he posted those two screenshots. ^^
    Haha, tbh it was for the Bing background!
    06-21-12 01:19 AM
    That's why they're working with Yahoo. I use both search engines (Bing by default) and both are good. Once in a while I don't get the right results, so I try Google. About 1/4 (maybe) of the time I get good results with Google. Part of the reason I prefer Bing is that I've been able to get websites onto the search results faster.
    Same for me.

Oh, and you can set a background on Google. You can't have it change automatically every day, but you can set it.
    Bing gives professional photographs which are a pleasure. Not at all the same as setting an image in Google.
    06-21-12 01:20 AM
    I use DuckDuckGo. Supposedly they don't track and keep your info. Not as good as Google or Bing, so sometimes I use those. For some really odd searches, I use Google Blogs Search.
    BBMINI likes this.
    06-21-12 08:08 AM
    That's why they're working with Yahoo.
    I don't understand this comment. Can you clarify? I understand that Yahoo really just uses Bing's results, but why are you saying Bing/MS is working with Yahoo?
    06-21-12 08:16 AM
    I use DuckDuckGo. Supposedly they don't track and keep your info. Not as good as Google or Bing, so sometimes I use those. For some really odd searches, I use Google Blogs Search.
    I hadn't heard of this but just checked it out. Pretty cool, thanks for posting it. From DuckDuckGo I also linked to this info about Bubbling/Filtering which I thought was fascinating (and creepy in a Big Brother kind of way) and which also answers some of the questions I posted above about how/why search results might vary from person to person. Check it out: Escape your search engine Filter Bubble!
    06-21-12 08:19 AM
    I've used Google since before it became THE search engine and really see no need to switch. It's not that one is "better" than the other; they're just a bit different. Just searching my own name, half the results are different on the first page between Google and Bing. So, whichever one you use, if you don't see what you're looking for, try the other.
    06-21-12 08:29 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD