SO here i was enjoying the email, calendar, and contact syncing with google and yahoo on my playbook. Then a few days back i needed to do a manual factory restore.

Since then the gmail will sync just fine, so will my contacts but the calendar is a no go. I get a error about the path the playbook is trying to use is incorrect, and as of today it will not sync my yahoo account in any fashion.

I did some reading and found it a little perturbing that google will continue to offer the syncing as a "free" service if you are currently using it, but as of January 31st 2013 if you need to do a factory restore on your device, or if you want to add a new device you need to pay for the google apps account (aka business aka paid service). It would seem that yahoo is following suit and has canceled all syncing abilities as of today. This just seems to be another disappointment for the playbook. Sure some will see this as a hater on RIM, but i have been using their products since they have the first blackberry on Bell mobility with their iOS 1.0 many years ago. I honestly hope they can pull out of this nose dive they are in, but for myself i think i am throwing in the towel and walking away while i can
    shenmue likes this.
    01-21-13 01:51 PM
    It is frustrating sometimes. Google calendar won't reset for me either but yesterday I added a hotmail (outlook.com) calendar account instead and it works well. But it is frustrating because the obvious question is how long before Microsoft starts screwing around too. But keep in mind, everywhere in the internet there is a push to force us into things we don't want:newspapers are forcing subscription only service, file sharing sites are being eliminated, firefox changes its browser and you can't figure it out. This could be an opportunity for RIM though:. Have an infallible sync process straight to our computers the way Palm used to. I'm here for the long haul, though. I like the Playbook too much and with a good browser like we have there are always direct to web site options. Cheers
    01-21-13 02:22 PM
    SO here i was enjoying the email, calendar, and contact syncing with google and yahoo on my playbook. Then a few days back i needed to do a manual factory restore.

Since then the gmail will sync just fine, so will my contacts but the calendar is a no go. I get a error about the path the playbook is trying to use is incorrect, and as of today it will not sync my yahoo account in any fashion.

I did some reading and found it a little perturbing that google will continue to offer the syncing as a "free" service if you are currently using it, but as of January 31st 2013 if you need to do a factory restore on your device, or if you want to add a new device you need to pay for the google apps account (aka business aka paid service). It would seem that yahoo is following suit and has canceled all syncing abilities as of today. This just seems to be another disappointment for the playbook. Sure some will see this as a hater on RIM, but i have been using their products since they have the first blackberry on Bell mobility with their iOS 1.0 many years ago. I honestly hope they can pull out of this nose dive they are in, but for myself i think i am throwing in the towel and walking away while i can
    You're mixing up your facts I'm afraid.. yes google will stop offering "activesync" to free users after January 30th existing users will retain the service on existing devices... If new users wish to achieve "activesync" they can sign up for the paid version of google apps. There is no definitive answer (at least to my knowledge) about whether or not you will gain access to "activesync" on an existing device after a factory re-store or the like. Technically it's still an existing device.. that remains to be seen. HOWEVER! Your playbook WILL NOT loose the ability to sync your calendar or contacts, it will just do so via the calDAV and cardDAV protocols rather then via "activesync".. there will be no perceptible difference to you as a user.
    diegonei and BB_Bmore like this.
    01-21-13 02:29 PM
    You should switch to BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS), which is part of the standard BlackBerry service plan to sync Gmail, Google Calendar, and Contacts with their BlackBerry. BIS is provided by RIM and mobile carriers. BlackBerry offers this guidance on syncing Calendar and Contacts in addition to your Gmail. Please contact RIM or your carrier for more information and support.

I am doing this same thing through MSN without a hitch, I tried it with Google and could get the email but the calendar didn't update while I was testing it?? Hope this helps!!

I got the above info from Google : Google Sync for BlackBerry End of Life - Google Apps Help
    01-21-13 02:56 PM
    My PlayBook is doing fine with Google right now. It's using CalDAV and CardDAv by default by the way on this new OS.

It is accessing stuff via
    Code:
    google.com
    for contacts and
    Code:
    www.google.com
    for calendar.
    01-21-13 03:02 PM
    Two days after my problem with google calendar not setting up, this morning (doing exactly the same normal procedure) it set up perfectly. This was definitely a Google mess up. But NEW calendar entries are going to my msn outlook.com account from now on!
    01-21-13 03:31 PM
    You should switch to BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS), which is part of the standard BlackBerry service plan to sync Gmail, Google Calendar, and Contacts with their BlackBerry. BIS is provided by RIM and mobile carriers. BlackBerry offers this guidance on syncing Calendar and Contacts in addition to your Gmail. Please contact RIM or your carrier for more information and support.

I am doing this same thing through MSN without a hitch, I tried it with Google and could get the email but the calendar didn't update while I was testing it?? Hope this helps!!

I got the above info from Google : Google Sync for BlackBerry End of Life - Google Apps Help
    BIS service is not available for the playbook.. nor is it needed.
    johnierw likes this.
    01-21-13 03:36 PM
    Two days after my problem with google calendar not setting up, this morning (doing exactly the same normal procedure) it set up perfectly. This was definitely a Google mess up. But NEW calendar entries are going to my msn outlook.com account from now on!
    Are you syncing to the native PlayBook Calendar app or are you just using the outlook.com calendar through the PlayBook browser?
    01-21-13 05:02 PM
    Yeah, Playbook works with caldav and cardav protocols, something I wasn't even aware of until Activesync started giving me trouble. Its like RIM anticipated activesync issues way back and baked in a workaround into the Playbook ahead of time.
    diegonei likes this.
    01-21-13 07:03 PM
    Sorry I stand corrected BIS is for cellular devices, we have wifi!!
    BIS service is not available for the playbook.. nor is it needed.
    01-21-13 08:12 PM
    Yeah, Playbook works with caldav and cardav protocols, something I wasn't even aware of until Activesync started giving me trouble. Its like RIM anticipated activesync issues way back and baked in a workaround into the Playbook ahead of time.
    Just goes to show that they are an enterprise company at the core, and try to provide products that are enterprise ready (even if sometimes, letting silly bugs slip in, like the deleting emails from the server while in POP access).
    01-21-13 08:32 PM
    Are you syncing to the native PlayBook Calendar app or are you just using the outlook.com calendar through the PlayBook browser?
    I am syncing my native Playbook calendar to my outlook.com account (previously called Hotmail), not using the browser.
    01-21-13 09:32 PM
    Today I noticed that I couldn't add anything to the calendar. I thought Google was the culprit and removed the calendar.

Tried re-adding it and now I get an error message telling me the calendar server cannot be reached..

It may indeed be time to migrate forwards warmer Microsoft...
    01-21-13 09:44 PM