It would appear that another little tweak from the update has Google Maps working properly.
    Now if only we could get a non invasive Google map app!

Mapapp is okay, but I want the real thing.
    04-19-12 12:58 AM
    What version are you talking about. Google maps worked before, but 6.2 and 6.4 would crash when trying to enter "settings", 6.0 wasn't too stable but would let you get to settings, and 5.9 was more stable and also let you get into settings. All versions, I think, tended to lose GPS signals at times.
    04-19-12 01:03 AM
    Whatever version is being used at maps.google.com. It never worked for me or a friend of mine but I just talked to him and it works for him as well now.
    I wasn't aware there is a version of maps.google.com.
    04-19-12 01:14 AM
    There are converted android apps that can be sideloaded. As I stated, I've found version 5.9 to be the most stable, but there are other versions floating around.
    04-19-12 01:22 AM
    I think he is talking about the website: maps.google.com

not about the Android sideloaded app.

And yes, maps.google.com works better now after 2.0.1
    04-19-12 03:24 AM
    6.2 is working great.
    04-19-12 04:25 AM
    Does it work from within your house or building? Because my playbook cannot get a signal at all
    04-19-12 06:57 AM
    Does it work from within your house or building? Because my playbook cannot get a signal at all
    I am playing with maps.google.com now to see if it works. I would guess that it may not work inside. When you use the locate me button above the streetmap man on a PC or a Mac it asks to use your wifi info to find your location. It basically looks up the nearby wifi routers locations if they were mapped during the Google StreetMaps survey. I am not sure if Google would have the ability to get the PlayBook to scan and report the wifi signal strengths nearby.
    Last edited by robsteve; 04-19-12 at 07:10 AM.
    04-19-12 07:07 AM
    I could never use maps.google.com after using the sideloaded 6.2. The pinch to zoom alone blows the website away.

It's a sad fact, but PB owners are forced far too often to use websites as shabby and or unsatisfactory workarounds for the flailing RIM's lack of apps.
    04-19-12 07:08 AM
    6.2 is working great.
    Have you tried going into settings? As pacoman says above, I find going into settings crashes it and signal loss in navigator is frequent.
    04-19-12 07:48 AM
    Have you tried going into settings? As pacoman says above, I find going into settings crashes it and signal loss in navigator is frequent.
    The reason this is important is that you need to get into settings to turn on caching of maps for offline use.
    04-19-12 07:57 AM
    Can you guys please post the bar?
    04-19-12 09:30 AM
    Here you have the working Google maps V6.2
    NOTE; it worked in OS2.0.0xxxx too :P not really huge news

Jeroen
    diegonei likes this.
    04-19-12 09:39 AM
    Well, you can't directly upload a .bar file.

Here is a link at my box.com.

Google_Maps_v6.03.bar - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    04-19-12 09:41 AM
    I am playing with maps.google.com now to see if it works. I would guess that it may not work inside. When you use the locate me button above the streetmap man on a PC or a Mac it asks to use your wifi info to find your location. It basically looks up the nearby wifi routers locations if they were mapped during the Google StreetMaps survey. I am not sure if Google would have the ability to get the PlayBook to scan and report the wifi signal strengths nearby.
    Its sad because my coworkers with their tablets (ipad and android) can use their map software with no problem getting gps fixes no problem
    04-19-12 09:49 AM
    Its sad because my coworkers with their tablets (ipad and android) can use their map software with no problem getting gps fixes no problem
    download my Googlemaps and you'll get the same result as your coworkers !
    04-19-12 09:57 AM
    download my Googlemaps and you'll get the same result as your coworkers !
    ok when i get home i will download it and let you know how it goes
    04-19-12 09:59 AM
    ok when i get home i will download it and let you know how it goes
    it even supports turn-by-turn navigation and caching an area for offline usage !
    04-19-12 10:06 AM
    Here you have the working Google maps V6.2
    NOTE; it worked in OS2.0.0xxxx too :P not really huge news

Jeroen
    That seems to be 6.02, not 6.2. The difference being that 6.2 wont allow for offline map caching.
    04-19-12 10:12 AM
    That seems to be 6.02, not 6.2. The difference being that 6.2 wont allow for offline map caching.
    Oops made an type mistake ! But V6.02 does allow offline caching ! I said that it was V6.2 but it is 6.02 ! Sorry
    04-19-12 10:58 AM
    My 6.03 seems to work...navigation and all. It will cache maps too. Several have downloaded it. They should be reporting in.

Here is a link at my box.com.

Google_Maps_v6.03.bar - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    04-19-12 02:05 PM
    ok so i tried both bars and it still does not work it could not find my location at all, even outddoors. it kept saying location unavailable, same thing with bing and magellan compass. I guess i got a unit with a busted gps
    04-20-12 08:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD