Does anyone else have this problem when you visit google.ca select the maps tab then the page will load but you will see a box come up loading (under the search input). and the page freezes.

I have had this issue for 3 months.
    Blackberry_Boy likes this.
    11-23-11 01:43 AM
    Try buying Magellan's compass, and the Google maps work fine in there, although the dev's say they might be moving away from Google maps.
    11-23-11 03:03 AM
    Yeah i too have found google maps not working for me. I instead just use bing.com or the bing app
    11-23-11 08:56 AM
    It does not work for me either. And I've even tried a 3rd party browser where you can emulate other types of browsers and still can't get it to work. Google has probably done something to lock out the pb!
    11-23-11 10:31 AM
    Found this on a thread about the Playbook somewhere... use
    m.maps.nokia.com Works great on the PB, has favourites, traffic, etc even for Canada. Even has TTC info!!!
    StringThing, emsel and heli_fixr like this.
    11-23-11 10:58 AM
    It does not work for me either. And I've even tried a 3rd party browser where you can emulate other types of browsers and still can't get it to work. Google has probably done something to lock out the pb!
    I have to wonder why google would even care unless it it doesn't work on any other competing product. That or the playbook doesn't accept their ad blitz.
    11-23-11 10:58 AM
    I think I read in another thread that Google Maps works in OS 2.0.
    11-23-11 11:00 AM
    I think I read in another thread that Google Maps works in OS 2.0.
    No it does not work in 2.0

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    11-23-11 11:01 AM
    Since Bing is M$, you think there's a conspiracy that RIM gets Bing on the PB for free, but they might have to lock-out Google Maps. Food for thought, and it wouldn't be the first. There's no Wordperfect on the PB either. LMAO
    11-23-11 11:08 AM
    Well, as for conspiracies - Verizon and MS (Bing) did enter into a huge monetary agreement making Bing the default search engine on their bbphones and preventing you from changing it to Google. You can still use google but you have to visit manually.
    11-23-11 12:26 PM
    Found this on a thread about the Playbook somewhere... use
    m.maps.nokia.com Works great on the PB, has favourites, traffic, etc even for Canada. Even has TTC info!!!
    It might be even better than Google Maps, format is better than Google and traffic and such work great.
    Thanks for the link.
    11-23-11 02:57 PM
    I am traveling for 2 months and cannot access "My Maps" on Google maps. Also this app gives me walking and public transit directions, eateries, spas etc. I cannot even use google maps because it is frozen.

Is there an alternate web app that has all these features for SE Asia? It,s mighty frustrating, as this an Skype were important applications that I never got to try, as I bought the PB a few days before I left.

I will manage some workaround for Skype, but not the features I need for Google maps. Asking in English for directions in Thailand is impossible. Most greatfull for advice on an alternative for the features I need as above.

Thanks
    Last edited by goodgenie4u; 01-27-12 at 11:32 PM. Reason: incomplete
    01-27-12 11:29 PM
    Can someone try this link on their playbook (I don't have mine with me at the moment):

Google Maps JavaScript API v3 Example: Map Simple

If that works, I may look at building a simple Google Map browser for use on the playbook.
    heli_fixr likes this.
    02-01-12 07:41 AM
    in the link, I can zoom in and out on the map by pinching. and change from map to satelite view.
    02-01-12 07:48 AM
    Works pretty good. No GPS though.
    heli_fixr likes this.
    02-01-12 07:49 AM
    Can someone try this link on their playbook (I don't have mine with me at the moment):

If that works, I may look at building a simple Google Map browser for use on the playbook.
    Yes, it works. You can scroll around, zoom in and drop the streeview man on the map.
    I have to wonder why google would even care unless it it doesn't work on any other competing product. That or the playbook doesn't accept their ad blitz.
    Google doesn't have a hardware product so technically they don't have a competing product. I really doubt they are locking out PB for some reason. Google maps work fine on iOS devices.
    Yes, it works. You can scroll around, zoom in and drop the streeview man on the map.
    So it appears that the Playbook browser doesn't like the Google Maps home page, Google Maps isn't blocked.
    02-01-12 08:02 AM
    It works here, too.

The other day, someone pointed out that the i-google page works on the pb if you install the map widget and it did work (gave google just a bit more info on me to create that page). So, there's obviously something incompatible with the raw google maps page.
    02-01-12 09:53 AM

I just tried it and it worksgreat. I had the same problems with Google maps. would'nt work. This link seems to work.
    02-04-12 07:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD