Hi,
    Can we install Google Chrome on a blackberry playbook?
    05-24-19 09:59 AM
    No. Chrome requires minimum Android support of 4.0. The PlayBook only supports up to Android 2.3.
    05-24-19 10:27 AM
    No. Chrome requires minimum Android support of 4.0. The PlayBook only supports up to Android 2.3.

So I read this.... sounds like Chrome 22-37 will work on Android 2.3 (the version the Playbook supports?). Anyone have instructions on how to actually go about and do it?, where to get source or reputable repository? Or have I misread this table?

https://engagingnetworks.support/kno...compatibility/

Google Chrome 22 to 37 - Compatible when running on Windows XP SP3, Vista, or newer (desktop), OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or newer (desktop), or Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) or newer (mobile).
    04-14-20 10:42 AM
    So I read this.... sounds like Chrome 22-37 will work on Android 2.3 (the version the Playbook supports?). Anyone have instructions on how to actually go about and do it?, where to get source or reputable repository? Or have I misread this table?

https://engagingnetworks.support/kno...compatibility/

Google Chrome 22 to 37 - Compatible when running on Windows XP SP3, Vista, or newer (desktop), OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or newer (desktop), or Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) or newer (mobile).
    Compatability is not equal to it working. Nevermind the fact I wouldn't want to run an ancient version of Chrome. In any case, have at it. There are some old builds here - https://www.apkmirror.com/uploads/?q=chrome though not all.
    04-14-20 10:56 AM
    The runtime on the PlayBook is Gingerbread 2.3.3. There are Chrome versions for Gingerbread 2.3.4 and 2.3.6 but those will not work/install. The only other so-called Chrome that will actually install and work to some extent is a fake version of Chrome that was developed by an XDA member years ago. It brings up lots of certificate errors, of course, and security connection errors. If you check the "About Chrome" on this app it shows " Chrome 14.1 Build 155".
    04-14-20 11:46 AM
    Compatability is not equal to it working. Nevermind the fact I wouldn't want to run an ancient version of Chrome. In any case, have at it. There are some old builds here - https://www.apkmirror.com/uploads/?q=chrome though not all.
    Thanks. Didn't see it there. Was looking for a browser that supported tls 1.2. That's the problem with the Playbook browser, it only supports up to tls 1.0. Some websites (not all ) won't serve tls 1.0 browsers. Do any in BBW? Origami doesn't (tls 1.0 as well, plus weaker security against certain attacks than the native browser it seems)
    04-14-20 11:52 AM
    Thanks. Didn't see it there. Was looking for a browser that supported tls 1.2. That's the problem with the Playbook browser, it only supports up to tls 1.0. Some websites (not all ) won't serve tls 1.0 browsers. Do any in BBW? Origami doesn't (tls 1.0 as well, plus weaker security against certain attacks than the native browser it seems)
    You are not going to find what you're looking for.
    04-14-20 01:33 PM
    You are not going to find what you're looking for.
    Is that because it's disappeared (source and tools too) and can't be found? or that the article was wrong? or that that version would never have worked. I guess no one was interested in adding tls 1.2 libraries to an existing browser or that they couldn't be put in BBW or using BB development tools for the playbook? Shame that it handicaps such a good tablet and browser.
    04-15-20 04:23 AM
    Is that because it's disappeared (source and tools too) and can't be found? or that the article was wrong? or that that version would never have worked. I guess no one was interested in adding tls 1.2 libraries to an existing browser or that they couldn't be put in BBW or using BB development tools for the playbook? Shame that it handicaps such a good tablet and browser.
    It was an just OK tablet back nine years ago....
    04-15-20 07:51 AM
    anyone? ...gee now i seem to be getting a lot of routing imcompletions (or family circus routing) since i raised that issue , but not before, any suggestions? (PS: not looking for the ...get rid of the playbook kind of suggestions)
    Google Chrome possible on PlayBook?-05d492562493190091f3c559951dd269.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Google Chrome possible on PlayBook?-05d492562493190091f3c559951dd269-keane-bus-stop.jpg  
    04-19-20 06:04 AM
    anyone? ...gee now i seem to be getting a lot of routing imcompletions (or family circus routing) since i raised that issue , but not before, any suggestions? (PS: not looking for the ...get rid of the playbook kind of suggestions)
    The PlayBook only supports Android 2.3 and even then, has a locked Runtime - which means it doesn't support native Android code.

There is no known modern (modern enough for TLS 1.2) browser that can run on it.
    04-19-20 06:27 PM
    Pretty apt illustration of the efforts some want to put into making a PlayBook usage in today's market.

But Billy's mom moved away by the time he got home... and didn't leave a forwarding address. There are a few things you can use a PlayBook for which have been outlined in a number of other threads. But a modern browser requires some key components to be updated in the OS....
    04-20-20 08:04 AM
    Firefox supported android 2.3 until 2016, looks like Firefox 46 supports TLS 1.2 if you can get it patched and installed.
    https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/mozill...-apk-download/
    05-01-20 02:41 PM
    Firefox supported android 2.3 until 2016, looks like Firefox 46 supports TLS 1.2 if you can get it patched and installed.
    https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/mozill...-apk-download/
    It uses Android native code. So, no go.
    05-01-20 02:49 PM
    Gotta give the PlayBook a bit of credit here. I bet there's nobody still trying to make use of any old 2011 Android tablets like people are here with the PlayBook 9 years later.
    05-02-20 12:00 AM