OK, I have a confession to make. For the past few years I was the proud owner of my very own iPod touch. I had that think for the longest time, I had installed about every mod available, I had even made my own winterboard themes. But eventually I got bored. Yes after years of trial and error work, I was tired of looking at that thing. So I sold it. Yupp, for 100 smakaroos!!

Well now, a year has passed, and I miss it. Not the iPod, but I miss the feeling of accomplishment I got whenever I spent a week working on theming one little button. Well one day at school, a friend of mine was playing with his PB at lunch. We started talking about it, and I wanted one real bad. So I bought one. Yupp! With my own money too! (I'm 16, so $200 is a bit much)

Well here I am now with a brand new playbook! Anyone have any suggestions what I should do? I have already sideload a few emulators and assorted android apps, but I want to get deeper into it. I am on .7971 so I understand that at the moment my rooting options are limited.

I guess I just made this post so I could get to know some fellow PB users and learn more about this beautiful machine!!
    Last edited by HoCo_xXSamXx; 04-08-12 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Formatting
    jchavealot likes this.
    04-08-12 02:30 AM
    Well, since you like to tinker, you might want to consider trying your hand at writing apps.
    Mami56 likes this.
    04-08-12 03:19 AM
    Well, since you like to tinker, you might want to consider trying your hand at writing apps.
    I agree.

To the OP: Start with WebWorks. And if you are up to it, learn the NDK. The amazing (is this too premature to say?) Cascades will be available for the NDK when BB10 is out. If it lives up to its demo, it's going to blow away everything that you have seen on the mobile space.
    04-08-12 06:28 AM
    I agree.

To the OP: Start with WebWorks. And if you are up to it, learn the NDK. The amazing (is this too premature to say?) Cascades will be available for the NDK when BB10 is out. If it lives up to its demo, it's going to blow away everything that you have seen on the mobile space.
    Completely agree, WebWorks is a very easy way to dabble with development a bit. Another thing to note with WebWorks apps is it is very easy to turn any website into an app icon using it, and you can give it whatever icon you want etc., so there's a bit of customisation possible there. Obviously not as much as with a full theme, but there's a bit. (You need root to change the icons of other apps or install themes, and as you have realised, that's not possible on .7971)
    04-08-12 06:41 AM
    I think it is unlikely you will ever gain root on your PB because the DingleBerry team seem to have given up and gone home. v4.0 is abandoned, and that was the version that would have rooted OS 2.0 according to the plan.

Now BB10... that sounds very interesting.
    04-08-12 06:49 AM
    First of all, Welcome!
    I agree with all of the above posts, try coding a few app's with WebWorks... (it's the easiest for beginners)
    You will get an even bigger sense of accomplishment when you have just finished an application! However, to register as an app-world vendor you must be the legal age of an adult in your area. (for me it's 18+) Have fun with your new PlayBook!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using the CrackBerry Forums Application
    04-08-12 07:45 AM
    Well, dont forget to bridge it with a blackberry smartphone so you can take it with you everywhere!!!
    jchavealot likes this.
    04-08-12 10:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD