It's nearly the end of October, is it still a good time to buy this device and is it worth the 129? (64 GB model)

The Playbooks I saw in stores like The Carphone Warehouse were lagging and barely responsive. They seemed terrible. A BlackBerry representative came over the same day, however, and said it's just the out-dated OS, and with the updates it should be running very smoothly.

Suggestions?
    10-24-12 05:44 PM
    It really depends on what you want or need (different).

Terrific speakers and screen and camera.

Plays back lots of media but not all. Wifi browsing and with your 9650, Bridge apps and browsing.

There are limited apps compared with other platforms but many folks don't need tons of app.

A display device could be hampered by an older OS or who knows what has been done to them.

Find a place that takes returns. There are any number of threads about the pros and cons.
    10-24-12 06:07 PM
    It's nearly the end of October, is it still a good time to buy this device and is it worth the 129? (64 GB model)

The Playbooks I saw in stores like The Carphone Warehouse were lagging and barely responsive. They seemed terrible. A BlackBerry representative came over the same day, however, and said it's just the out-dated OS, and with the updates it should be running very smoothly.

Suggestions?
    I was not a great fan of the PB earlier and even sold one that RIM gave me for free earlier this year.. I needed a pb again to test my apps and bought a used one off ebay recently. this time I kind of seem to like it and it is getting pretty good % of my usage though I have a google nexus 7 also. if you need one and if you think the pb serves your needs right now, go for it. it will only get better once bb10 is released...

http://srimanapps.wordpress.com
    10-24-12 06:23 PM
    I think the price is right and the newest 2.1 os update is really good. i do not know which version of os demo units are running but i hope it is not 1.0 because 2.0 and 1.0 is like day and night.
    10-24-12 06:28 PM
    I originally had no intention of purchasing a tablet but the big (unintentional on RIM's part) price cut on the Playbook got me to buy one. I think the device is a great value considering what you get. The browsing, storage and apps are a solid experience and the upcoming BB10 update makes it more alluring.. In the end it all depends on whether you feel like you'll get use out of it.
    rexrim likes this.
    10-24-12 07:10 PM
    Nothing else has the Bridge function. IMO if you have an Android phone you really like then find an Android tablet to match it, there are data transfer apps that make the pair share things. If you have an iPhone I would think an iPad would be best. If you're planning on staying with a BB phone then of course the PlayBook is the best choice. What ever your reasons for having a BB phone are should also be there for the PlayBook as well.

My theory is to keep your mobile tech dna consistent.
    10-25-12 01:15 AM
    All good comments from the guys above. Plus you wont need to worry about it being replaced in 6 months. Bb10 will be a huge plus for playbook.

Also, I would think that store supply is drying and no more are being made to be sold at the current prices.
    10-25-12 01:36 AM
    Ahem, simple answer...YES. After using many tabs I just find this bloody brilliant. And for the price, well you can't argue. Quality build, responsive, excellent screen, some good apps, sideloading, decent media player, good camera, what else do you need for 129. I got mine from PC world & took my android tab back to the shop the next day. My guess is for the unresponsive one is either a) it hadn't been turned off for a long time, b) needed updating or c) combination of both. Remember those things on display are screwed around by everyone, particularly collections of kids - just look at the Apple store & you'll know what I mean.

I've said it many times...had ipad, had android, now firmly staying with PB. I use mine for work, leisure, with the children, and am just loading up films for a family holiday. Does everything I need & more & I couldn't be happier. Don't let the price drop deceive you - its not cheap money for a useless tab, its RIM getting their act together with retailers & making it accessible & competitive. BB10 will add even more!
    10-25-12 03:52 AM
    Let's see $300 plus off original price and Apple still trying to beat it. No it's not a good time you should wait at least 8-10 months more.
    10-25-12 05:15 AM
    No.

It's 2-year-old hardware that wasn't particularly good even when it was launched. I don't think it's worth $50.
    10-25-12 06:01 AM
    Depends on what you need and how fast you need it..
    If you are looking for a cheap and good (subjective - compare your needs and what PB can do for this) right now.. Yes you can go for it..
    But I am assuming (more like hoping) that RIM will throw in another tablet once BB10 is released if they want to seriously remain in the tablet market..

But then you should also consider the pros and cons on the other tablets out there.. Self research is the most important thing. Relying on others opinion you might regret it later..
    10-25-12 08:33 AM
    That's just nonsense
    No.

It's 2-year-old hardware that wasn't particularly good even when it was launched. I don't think it's worth $50.
    Zildjian71 likes this.
    10-25-12 08:40 AM
    the hardware is still top imo, sure the cpu is a bit dated but still fine for a tablet....

what it really lacks is apps and the os still feels like beta often ....
    but for the current price for even the 64gb version its definatly worth it if you dont need USB-OTG or many of the apps other tablet offer...
    10-25-12 09:14 AM
    No.

At least you could give a real reason. Hardware was never the pb problem. In some respects it is still as good or better in some areas as the new iPad mini.
    10-25-12 09:19 AM
    At least you could give a real reason. Hardware was never the pb problem. In some respects it is still as good or better in some areas as the new iPad mini.
    Now a days they are coming up with Quad cores 1.5 Ghz processors.. To people it is more power.. Many don't really care if they are even going to use 50% of it :P
    Depends on each ones perception..
    10-25-12 09:48 AM
    Yes I realize that. But the hardware is fine for awhile yet even though there will be quad cores coming out, I don't know how many normal consumers care. So since pc and laptop specs are always moving ahead are you saying everyone will buy the newest fastest one around? My guess is they'll buy the cheaper one that does everything just as well.

To the OP if it does what you want now and if you think RIM is going to be around and continue to improve it then yes. If no then no, get something else.
    10-25-12 10:09 AM
    Yes I realize that. But the hardware is fine for awhile yet even though there will be quad cores coming out, I don't know how many normal consumers care. So since pc and laptop specs are always moving ahead are you saying everyone will buy the newest fastest one around? My guess is they'll buy the cheaper one that does everything just as well.

To the OP if it does what you want now and if you think RIM is going to be around and continue to improve it then yes. If no then no, get something else.
    That's what I meant.. Me personally I don't think I can put even those quadcore to any use. So I don't really care what's out there at the moment at least not till I need anything new. But there are people who want the best and latest on the shelves..
    That's why I say there is no point asking others whether a product is worth buying.. unless you are asking opinion about a particular useage set.. or particular app availability etc..
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-25-12 11:00 AM
    its 1 million percent worth 129 for the 64gb...

but the price isnt the only thing.. if it doesnt do what you want it to do, then have a look at other devices, although thats not much

as for the display devices, i dnt kno why u experienced that.. older os's seem to be a good explanation but right now, 2.1 is running very nicely!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-25-12 11:47 AM
    Thanks everyone, I'm going to save up for a Playbook ^_^
    10-25-12 03:35 PM
    No.

Rather a bit trollish I think since this guy has no BlackBerry devices, so what would he know without owning one?
    10-25-12 11:44 PM