My wife is starting up her own from home hairstyling business and wants to use our Playbook for her clients. Does anyone have a good app to suggest for maintaining some sort of database to keep track of all of her client information: Names, addresses, phone numbers, hairstyles (pictures, preferences, etc.), future requests, appointments and so on? Doesn't matter if it'f free or not. I just don't want to make the mistake of spending money on an app that is junk; been there done that.

Thanks for any help.
    12-21-12 09:29 AM
    docs to go is excellent for excel, doesnt really need to be more complicated than that does it?
    12-21-12 10:36 AM
    Good old dbase is available in app world, there is a free and paid version, it allows images, calendar etc.
    12-21-12 10:54 AM
    Evernote is free and allows for adding pictures as well cross-device sync.

As far as your other "needs" you may want to look into something that has a calendar feature. Wunderlist and Conqu both are free and have calendar functions, but moreso for reminders as opposed to proper calendar "blocked off features" that most salons prefer.

GroovyNotes may be another option. It is paid, but I believe it allows for adding pictures and has somewhat of a calendar feature. Haven't used it too much, so I'm not familiar with all of its features.
    12-21-12 10:55 AM
    DataBook Database available in BlackBerry AppWorld might be a solution. Presumably, your wife does not want to run a traditional database server on a computer and use the tablet to access the database; she wants to store the database on the tablet.
    12-21-12 11:33 AM
    I have been looking for one for a long while now and I can't find one that looks to be great. I think I was spoiled with FileMaker and IMO nothing so far can compare to it in terms of both power and design. Unfortunately that was bought by Apple and will never come to the PlayBook, though I wish BlackBerry (being made for the professional) would also make/buy a database program or work with MS for an Access app. If you do find one you like, please post, as I would love to know.
    David in Durham likes this.
    12-21-12 11:43 AM
    Couldn't she set up each client as a contact? Attach a profile picture of their hairstyle and add a note based on their preference. Then you can link their Facebook/Twitter/Linkedin accounts if they have them.

Go into the default calendar app and create 'people' based appointments that use their profile. Additional notes can be added at the same time. The best part of that is you can set recurring appointments for people who like to schedule their hair at the same time every month.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    12-21-12 12:36 PM
    Did you see Solicit in App World. It looks really good. And as a novelty, your wife's clients could enter their information themselves, while waiting for their appointment.
    12-21-12 03:12 PM
    I think I was spoiled with FileMaker and IMO nothing so far can compare to it in terms of both power and design..
    Agreed, please don't boo me everyone (I love my PB!), but it might be less frustrating in the end to get an iPad and use FileMaker on it, IF she needs that kind of power and flexibility. FileMaker is really pretty darn cool
    12-21-12 03:21 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking at them to figure things out. We do have an iPad but I told her that the PB would be the best for productivity use, especially given the native Office application. Plus we plan on going to BB10 from our Windows Phones so the complete integration of her business with her phone the PB and our PC would be awesome to have. We'll see, maybe I'll throw the money around for some of the paid apps as a trial process and hope the first one works
    01-07-13 01:08 PM
    You know, the best answer really was the first one: docs to go and excel. Then your database will be compatible with any device and into the future probably indefinitely because excel is so universal. A little time spent with excel and you can crunch the info in multiple ways. It's always dangerius to use a specialized device-dependent app since things change so fast. Stick to excel and docs to go.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking at them to figure things out. We do have an iPad but I told her that the PB would be the best for productivity use, especially given the native Office application. Plus we plan on going to BB10 from our Windows Phones so the complete integration of her business with her phone the PB and our PC would be awesome to have. We'll see, maybe I'll throw the money around for some of the paid apps as a trial process and hope the first one works
    01-07-13 02:26 PM