The new upgrade has taken me right to the tipping point. I'm an ordinary guy, had and appreciated Blackberries since the very first one and although my computing platform has always been Apple stick with BB. Now though since the new "upgrade" my PlayBook is unhappy...browser crashing at least half a dozen times a day and everything seems very "clunky". Is it me? Don't know but with so many options on the market and the continual temptation of the full Apple integration I'm struggling get to make sense of my continuing support for the BB experience......and the predictive text is weird a desire I have no SMS in the Bridge and and and and.....
    10-07-12 07:29 AM
    I would like to know how so many identical machines can react so differently to an OS.
    I have had no problems with any version of the OS including .668, the battery killer.

Ah, I just noticed the Poll, on the subject, posted by DC506. Great minds think alike?
    DC506, hpjrt, BB_Bmore and 2 others like this.
    10-07-12 07:35 AM
    My browser has crashed at least 6 times in the last 2 days since the official 2.1. Other than that my playbook is running great.
    I haven't had browser crashes since the beta 2.0 days.
    I used all the 2.1 betas and never had any browser crashing.

What does this all mean? I don't know. Hopefully there is an update coming soon to stop my browser from crashing.

I haven't heard about many people having browser issues since the 2.1 rollout tho, so......
    mike4444 likes this.
    10-07-12 08:27 AM
    I would like to know how so many identical machines can react so differently to an OS.
    I have had no problems with any version of the OS including .668, the battery killer.

Ah, I just noticed the Poll, on the subject, posted by DC506. Great minds think alike?
    LOL wonder if it's the os that's the issue or the different Internet servers its downloaded with.
    10-07-12 08:27 AM
    I had an issue with my sound and I also needed to change my Blackberry ID. I decided to reinstall the OS and glad I did. Everything is running smooth again . A bit of a pain to get everything back the way I had it but it also gives a chance to clean out all the files and apps the I don't use. I do the same with my PC once a year or so when things seem to be a little wonky.
    jafobabe, esk369 and rotorwrench like this.
    10-07-12 09:11 AM

The question I have, if you followed the Initial Release thread - why so many different sizes for the OS 2.1 upgrade. There must have been at least half dozen versions by size. And some were in the same country upgrading from the same OS - either the beta or the official - yet different upgrade sizes. Could rim be experimenting on us??????
    DC506 likes this.
    10-07-12 06:51 PM
    ..... Could rim be experimenting on us??????
    Now it all makes sense.
    10-07-12 07:06 PM
    A few days in now.....and freezing and crashing going on where there never was before......I can't see what I gained from the software upgrade bit I can definitely see what's got worse. A poor show from RIM....has there been any official comment from them?
    10-13-12 05:23 AM
    Mike444

What corrective action have you attempted? Sounds like you're waiting for something that's not coming. Backup, Debrick. Try using it in that fresh state, if everything is fine, restore the backup. Report back.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    10-13-12 05:51 AM
    I had an issue with my sound and I also needed to change my Blackberry ID. I decided to reinstall the OS and glad I did. Everything is running smooth again . A bit of a pain to get everything back the way I had it but it also gives a chance to clean out all the files and apps the I don't use. I do the same with my PC once a year or so when things seem to be a little wonky.
    This is true. I also have serious battery drain issue, when i updated from 2.1.xxx beta to stable 2.1.xxxx. Then I have done security wipe and downloaded around 700 MB from blackberry desktop software. Now I have no problems, now my playbook is very optimum battery drain, never seen been.
    10-13-12 06:18 AM
    Growing pains and they had better be gone in BB10. I have issues now and again but it isn't constant. So what is everyone using in the general setting? Default, paused or showcase? Showcase here. I do agree being released it should be better. I hope they didn't just put it out there to calm the demand for it cause it seems they created more issues.
    10-13-12 06:34 AM
    I have decided to stay in the BlackBerry game until BB10 but if it's anything goes wrong or there is a delay or if it's not a 9.9/10 on launch I'm out of here. I don't see pals on iPads and other devices rebooting unbricking etc etc its a PlayBook thing....it's a RIM thing. As they say it tales a long time to make a reputation and no time are all to unmake it....
    10-13-12 07:02 AM
    I kind of hope you just sell it now and get something else, preferably with netflix and skype as that's really important.. It will save us from another crybaby thread. This isn't rocket science really and the "I'm helpless and lazy" threads do get annoying after reading them day after day. Try something before complaining. The majority of us log onto this forum looking for information but it seems more and more it's just helpless, technology inept folks, weeping openly. If you really need to cry about RIM, start a blog. I will most likely get banned for this thread, but I don't care as I think it needs to be said.

Ask yourself a few questions before you post about how RIM is crap and your PB is poo.

Did I side load apps? If yes, then do a backup, security wipe and get on with life. If that doesn't fix it, call RIM. I don't think RIM can foresee every possible combination of unsupported application installation out there.

Do I love being on the cutting edge and use Beta releases of OS's? Do a backup and a security wipe and try it again. I can almost guarantee that this resolve 99% of PB issues. Beta OS's are used for testing, not consumer use. It's nice that RIM allows us to install them, so crying about how my update is hosed will ruin this for the rest of us eventually.

I have 3 playbooks and my updates went as expected, but if they had not gone as expected (i do use one as a test bed for side loaded apps). I've had to do more security wipes on my Lenovo Tab than I ever have on my PB.

I'm not a rim fan boy. I generally hate their phones and the PB is kind of meh, but they are fantastic for the price.

If anyone is offended by this post, my bad.
    Cracklen likes this.
    10-13-12 07:53 AM
    I kind of hope you just sell it now and get something else, preferably with netflix and skype as that's really important.. It will save us from another crybaby thread. This isn't rocket science really and the "I'm helpless and lazy" threads do get annoying after reading them day after day. Try something before complaining. The majority of us log onto this forum looking for information but it seems more and more it's just helpless, technology inept folks, weeping openly. If you really need to cry about RIM, start a blog. I will most likely get banned for this thread, but I don't care as I think it needs to be said.

Ask yourself a few questions before you post about how RIM is crap and your PB is poo.

Did I side load apps? If yes, then do a backup, security wipe and get on with life. If that doesn't fix it, call RIM. I don't think RIM can foresee every possible combination of unsupported application installation out there.

Do I love being on the cutting edge and use Beta releases of OS's? Do a backup and a security wipe and try it again. I can almost guarantee that this resolve 99% of PB issues. Beta OS's are used for testing, not consumer use. It's nice that RIM allows us to install them, so crying about how my update is hosed will ruin this for the rest of us eventually.

I have 3 playbooks and my updates went as expected, but if they had not gone as expected (i do use one as a test bed for side loaded apps). I've had to do more security wipes on my Lenovo Tab than I ever have on my PB.

I'm not a rim fan boy. I generally hate their phones and the PB is kind of meh, but they are fantastic for the price.

If anyone is offended by this post, my bad.
    Only thing wrong there....... It's not a beta now.
    10-13-12 08:01 AM
    These updates are just that, updates, not fresh installs. If you took a windows XP pc filled with trojans and viri and then did an upgrade to windows 7, you'd still have all the trojans and viri there. While this is an extreme example, I think you get the point. There may have been an underlying issue that didn't' manifest itself until the update.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    10-13-12 08:05 AM
    I'm a very vanilla PB user I have never "sideloaded" apps or used beta ware....I am pretty tech inept however I'm not weeping just using a consumer and user forum to express my thoughts consider the views of others and use that info along with other feedback to evolve and make my choices...does your post offend are you bad? No I don't think so that's just your ever hopeful ego seeking attention...Thanks
    10-13-12 08:07 AM
    I'm a very vanilla PB user I have never "sideloaded" apps or used beta ware....I am pretty tech inept however I'm not weeping just using a consumer and user forum to express my thoughts consider the views of others and use that info along with other feedback to evolve and make my choices...does your post offend are you bad? No I don't think so that's just your ever hopeful ego seeking attention...Thanks
    Perhaps I went a bit over the top but I stand by my post as a general complaint on what this forum has turned into. The information to resolve almost all issues is in these forums, unfortunatly, you have to weed through a ton of these types of threads that complain about how I didn't' bother to research my problem to see what I can do about it. That's what these forums are really here for. The tone of the means everything as you can see by my own post. If you start a post sounding like you've already given up and it's going on ebay if I don't get help in the next hour (the topic speaks for itself) you should expect to get an e-beating . Things happen. Backup your data, do a security wipe and try it again. As I have posted over and over again, this will fix 99% of any issues you are having. No device is immune to these types of issues.

I can appreciate that not everyone is a tech guru but you found the forum and that's a pretty good start.

As for the bridge issue. Make sure you have the latest version of it installed on your phone. If you do and it's still not working, I'd suggest you remove it from your phone and reinstall it. I had a similar issue and the phone was to blame.
    10-13-12 08:19 AM
    Growing pains and they had better be gone in BB10. I have issues now and again but it isn't constant. So what is everyone using in the general setting? Default, paused or showcase? Showcase here. I do agree being released it should be better. I hope they didn't just put it out there to calm the demand for it cause it seems they created more issues.
    As I generally wrote in another thread (the caching of thumbnails that do not get cleaned/cleared up), I do not think it will be humanly possible for bb10 to be error free or contain all of the features that we want. Things will escape notice or there will be things that RIM's geniuses will continue to think are unimportant (Folder Support, Bookmark support, whatever) that will still be missing. Expecting bb10 to answer all prayers is an unattainable dream. More like a new nightmare in the making. Yes, the rains have returned after 3 months of sunshine and my mood reflects that!
    10-13-12 09:49 AM
    As I generally wrote in another thread (the caching of thumbnails that do not get cleaned/cleared up), I do not think it will be humanly possible for bb10 to be error free or contain all of the features that we want. Things will escape notice or there will be things that RIM's geniuses will continue to think are unimportant (Folder Support, Bookmark support, whatever) that will still be missing. Expecting bb10 to answer all prayers is an unattainable dream. More like a new nightmare in the making. Yes, the rains have returned after 3 months of sunshine and my mood reflects that!
    Oh believe me I know no system is bug free but there are some they are minimal and rarely show up. I know BB10 will not be perfect but I do hope it is a lot better than current pb OS.
    zorecati likes this.
    10-13-12 10:15 AM
    Funny, I don't know how many times my PC froze and crashed over the years but I can tell you it was plenty. I also tried out a Nexus 7 and was surprised at how many apps I downloaded crashed or simply didn't work on that brand new machine. In the end, I returned it because my PlayBook simply worked better for me. Having said that I understand frustration when it comes to tech. Expectations for perfect performance are always high.

When I upgraded to 2.1 I did so through the desktop manager. Boy, have I noticed an improvement in the speed and efficiency of my device! OP, try a security wipe and reinstall through the desktop manager. I bet you will be happy you did.
    10-13-12 10:56 AM
    Why is it on this forum that when anyone says anything good about RIM, the fanboys all chime in with "great stuff" messages, pats on the back all around, and a quick cup 'o koolaid; but when anyone posts a criticism or says anything bad about the company who dropped the ball worse than anyone in the tech industry and their mediocre products, then everyone tells them to get lost or calls them a crybaby, troll or whatever?

I've used RIM products exclusively for about 10 years now, back to the monochrome thumbwheel days, and have loyally
    held on hoping against hope that they will finally get it right, only to be let down and disappointed like the OP every time.

The PB is yet another example. I bought it because it was cheap, with lots of memory, and because it purportedly supported Android apps. All 3 of these were dealbreakers for. I am happy it was cheap, happy with 64gb of RAM, but honestly, the $hitty native app selection and even $hittier Android performance are driving me nuts.

Come on, tell it like it is. The PB is a mediocre product with promise that never gets fulfilled. Every step RIM tries to take forward ends up going back two. If everyone here keeps defending this crap, RIM is actually going to believe they are doing a great job and we get more of the same.

Billions of Android and Apple users are the proof otherwise.

TRJB

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    mike4444 and fatherslot like this.
    10-13-12 11:27 AM
    Funny, I don't know how many times my PC froze and crashed over the years but I can tell you it was plenty. I also tried out a Nexus 7 and was surprised at how many apps I downloaded crashed or simply didn't work on that brand new machine. In the end, I returned it because my PlayBook simply worked better for me. Having said that I understand frustration when it comes to tech. Expectations for perfect performance are always high.

When I upgraded to 2.1 I did so through the desktop manager. Boy, have I noticed an improvement in the speed and efficiency of my device! OP, try a security wipe and reinstall through the desktop manager. I bet you will be happy you did.
    Oh, I'm with you on that. Just yesterday I fired up Garmin's Basecamp app, loaded my files and also got a notice of an upgrade for Basecamp. How foolish I was after all these years: "Sure download and install" and THREE HOURS later I got it working again.

And clearly, everyone's pb has a different configuration of apps and data and these can lead to wrinkles in any upgrade. But if Rim could improve its backup/restore tools, namely the Desktop Software it would not be as frustrating. Crackberrians probably represent an artificial subset of pb users but too many don't trust the backup/restore or have run into real problems, thereby making any OS update more problematic. Then rim does not provide any easy way to just go back to an OS that might help resolve things in the interim.
    mike4444 and zorecati like this.
    10-13-12 11:28 AM
    Why is it on this forum that when anyone says anything good about RIM, the fanboys all chime in with "great stuff" messages, pats on the back all around, and a quick cup 'o koolaid; but when anyone posts a criticism or says anything bad about the company who dropped the ball worse than anyone in the tech industry and their mediocre products, then everyone tells them to get lost or calls them a crybaby, troll or whatever?

I've used RIM products exclusively for about 10 years now, back to the monochrome thumbwheel days, and have loyally
    held on hoping against hope that they will finally get it right, only to be let down and disappointed like the OP every time.

The PB is yet another example. I bought it because it was cheap, with lots of memory, and because it purportedly supported Android apps. All 3 of these were dealbreakers for. I am happy it was cheap, happy with 64gb of RAM, but honestly, the $hitty native app selection and even $hittier Android performance are driving me nuts.

Come on, tell it like it is. The PB is a mediocre product with promise that never gets fulfilled. Every step RIM tries to take forward ends up going back two. If everyone here keeps defending this crap, RIM is actually going to believe they are doing a great job and we get more of the same.

TRJB

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    I guess you own a different android device than I have used because I think they are kind of junk. As I stated, I'm not a rim fanboy, I actually hate there phones and as you stated, the PB is mediocre at best. My experience with the iPad has been limited but I do like them. If you really think that android tablets are better than a PB, please go and get one. I assure you, they are not.

As far as I can tell, these forums are put here so that users can get help from other users. To solve problems they are struggling with. Myself and a host of other folks invest alot of time into doing this, time permitting (F2 being a fine example of this). But having to weed through these "i'm really booty hurt" threads is just annoying. I can't stress it enough, if you want help, ask, if you want to cry, create a blog. You will inevitably end up pushing out the forum posters that matter because it just ends up being a huge waste of time. Remember to thank those that actually do help you, I think it's important. I'm off to start a blog.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    10-13-12 05:20 PM

At last, another poor lost soul that dares to tell the truth about what is classed as constructive intelligent criticism and RIM's demand for blind obedience, OR ELSE!

Be careful therealjoeblow, I've had threads closed and severe reprimands from our lords and masters for less than this.

I find that strange given that so many human beings have given their lives at the request of our lords and masters in the name of "FREE SPEECH"

"An intelligent man can sit down and talk with an uneducated man and when he gets up and walks away, he has learned something. An uneducated man cannot"
    10-13-12 05:41 PM
    I don't know how, but i also think it's machine related or maybe the most basic OS inputed in the PB(don't know much about programing, but this seems logic - Theres a base, that assimilates other virtual specs,right?)

Till now i had no problem with the .668 and with the 2.1!

The Browser and the Mail opening always seemed kinda slow compared to other tablets or phones.

That's the only problem for me at the time lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    10-13-12 05:50 PM
55 123