At last, another poor lost soul that dares to tell the truth about what is classed as constructive intelligent criticism and RIM's demand for blind obedience, OR ELSE!

Be careful therealjoeblow, I've had threads closed and severe reprimands from our lords and masters for less than this.

I find that strange given that so many human beings have given their lives at the request of our lords and masters in the name of "FREE SPEECH"

"An intelligent man can sit down and talk with an uneducated man and when he gets up and walks away, he has learned something. An uneducated man cannot"
    I think you are confused. I think the majority of us will agree 100% with all the gripes and complaints. You get what you pay for after all. I mean, honestly, if you aren't happy with the PB then sell it on ebay get an iPad. I hear they are awesome, unless you aren't interested in paying iPad money for a tablet.

I know what the PB is good at and I know what it's not good at. I wouldn't use a PB to fry eggs for example, or use it as a boat anchor. I would use it to allow my wife to watch vampire diaries on channel 11 as the cable company remove it from the channel list (i was a real hero that day). Please don't confuse being a realist with being a fan-boy. I know what I bought and I know what I paid for it and I think I got what I paid for.

For those that spent full boat on a PB, I really do feel sorry for you and my rants do not apply to you. You have every right to rant.
    10-13-12 10:45 PM
    At last, another poor lost soul that dares to tell the truth about what is classed as constructive intelligent criticism and RIM's demand for blind obedience, OR ELSE!

Be careful therealjoeblow, I've had threads closed and severe reprimands from our lords and masters for less than this.

I find that strange given that so many human beings have given their lives at the request of our lords and masters in the name of "FREE SPEECH"

"An intelligent man can sit down and talk with an uneducated man and when he gets up and walks away, he has learned something. An uneducated man cannot"
    It is all about context. If there is a problem, the good people here will try to help.
    If it is constructive criticism or even some frustration, most of the people here will appreciate and offer their opinions.
    If it is complaining for the sake of complaining or obvious baiting people with why another product is supposedly "factually better", then most will get annoyed and possibly the thread will get closed before it gets out of hand.

I am not sure as to way your threads were closed, but I can only imagine that you broke a rule or two. It is nothing to be upset or annoyed about, just try to change the context of it or start threads that abide by the rules.

Also, on a side note, free speech applies primarily to government only, private organizations and companies can determine what is appropriate or not (ie most organizations and companies do not allow "flaming", discrimination, racism, sexism, etc comments/behaviors, and they can censor those freely). Again, just a side note relating to your "freedom of speech" comment.
    kbz1960, zorecati, FF22 and 3 others like this.
    10-14-12 01:02 AM
    RIM is still working on OS 2.1.....so yea, no BB10 until late summer of 2013.
    10-14-12 01:11 AM
    I have a playbook that I use bridged to my bb tour for email and internet, very few apps. I was very happy with the upgrade to 2.0 which solved so many issues. Now with 2.1 it seems that RIM has regressed, with many faults cropping back up. I just don't get it. I feel like I'm dealing with windows 3.1 - patch after patch solving nothing. Technology has matured to the point where this type of performance is inexcusable. I have no illusions that bb10 will be bug free, it will be the initial offering of a major revamp that will require multiple updates. Given RIMs performance to date this does not bode well. If the playbook can not achieve a plateau of stable, reliable performance, then what's the point?
    pickles#WP, FF22 and mike4444 like this.
    10-14-12 01:30 AM
    [QUOTE]I know what the PB is good at and I know what it's not good at. I wouldn't use a PB to fry eggs for example, or use it as a boat anchor. /QUOTE]

It's strange that you should mention these uses for the pb! I have bought another five 64Gb pb's this week from Currys who are selling them for �129.00! And although even I am not silly enough to fry eggs on them, I did buy them to anchor my boat with and they are superb as anchors. Keep the boat static in the water whilst I catch fish. I would think that if you did try to fry eggs on the pb you would be able to watch the underside of the egg cooking through the camera and therefore end up with a perfect egg. If I ever sell my boat I will try the egg thing with one of the pb anchors!

Sent using my fingers with absolutely no participation from my head
    10-14-12 06:44 AM
    Could rim be experimenting on us??????
    I am gonna wrap mine in aluminum foil before doing the next update!
    pickles#WP and FF22 like this.
    10-14-12 07:35 AM
    I've not had a single issue with 2.1. My browser is significantly faster, so is boot time (after an initial, one time extension), SMS and all other functions work as they should. I'd do what others have suggested and reload the OS.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    rotorwrench and djdragon like this.
    10-14-12 08:05 AM
    Since upgrading to BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.1 my BlackBerry PlayBooks have been running smoothly. I am still trying to determine whether battery life has improved, remained unchanged, or decreased; obviously it has not been discernible.
    rotorwrench and djdragon like this.
    10-14-12 08:39 AM
    The question I have, if you followed the Initial Release thread - why so many different sizes for the OS 2.1 upgrade. There must have been at least half dozen versions by size. And some were in the same country upgrading from the same OS - either the beta or the official - yet different upgrade sizes. Could rim be experimenting on us??????
    We have been the equivalent of laboratory rats and mice since the initial release. The wheel keeps turning so we keep "moving forward" eager for our piece of cheese. The varying update sizes is perplexing though can we be certain those reporting differing sizes have the exact same configuration as everyone else? Some of the size variations might be attributable to the version from which the tablet is upgraded, that is to say, are we absolutely certain everyone is on the latest version prior to the newest update? I keep reading about people on older versions.
    FF22 and esk369 like this.
    10-14-12 08:46 AM
    A few days in now.....and freezing and crashing going on where there never was before......I can't see what I gained from the software upgrade bit I can definitely see what's got worse. A poor show from RIM....has there been any official comment from them?
    Did you reboot the tablet after the software update? By reboot I mean a hard reboot versus the soft reboot from the battery meter panel. I have three tablets, always running official versions, and none behave in a manner consistent with your complaints. One tablet was on 2.0.0.358 and two tablets were on 2.0.0.668 prior to upgrading to 2.0.1.1032.
    10-14-12 08:50 AM
    We have been the equivalent of laboratory rats and mice since the initial release.
    That seems to be the case with most computer related software / hardware. Manufacturers love it when paying customers act as the quality control department.
    Remember Microsoft's Windows ME and Vista?
    esk369 likes this.
    10-14-12 09:00 AM
    And clearly, everyone's pb has a different configuration of apps and data and these can lead to wrinkles in any upgrade. But if Rim could improve its backup/restore tools, namely the Desktop Software it would not be as frustrating.
    Research In Motion needs to provide a complete "cloud-based" (cough, cough) backup service that performs a full backup on demand with automatic incremental backups. Each month the user is reminded to perform a full backup with an option to schedule the backup process for a specific date and time. BlackBerry Desktop Software should only be necessary for manual device software updates in the event an OTA/WiFi update is unsuccessful.
    10-14-12 09:03 AM

Just going by the attitude of this particular post I suspect I know why you have had posts deleted. Forum moderators are not "lords and masters". They volunteer for this type of abuse and follow the same rules that you agreed to follow.
    Free speech has nothing to do with what you are allowed to say in a private forum. Remember, you aren't on a public platform here, you are a visitor. You agreed to follow the rules on the way in.

As far as the original post and RIM dropping the ball I have to agree somewhat. RIM seems to have lost it's direction and is hoping current customers will hang on and wait for them to find a path. The path they seem to have chosen is directed at snagging Apple and Android users while ignoring their current device users.
    The Playbook hardware itself is very good but I have no idea where they are going with it. RIM keeps promoting BB10 and telling us our existing Playbooks will be updated but given their past track record I am not convinced nor do I care. By the time BB10 is released the Playbook platform will be over two years old. There will be better hardware on the market by then at competitive price points.
    mike4444 likes this.
    10-14-12 09:26 AM
    That seems to be the case with most computer related software / hardware. Manufacturers love it when paying customers act as the quality control department.
    Remember Microsoft's Windows ME and Vista?
    Thankfully, I bypassed Microsoft Windows ME and by the time Microsoft Windows Vista was released I was already using GNU/Linux on my desktop and/or notebook computer full-time. These days I run Ubuntu Linux as the primary operating system with virtualised instances of Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Windows 7.
    10-14-12 10:16 AM
    Research In Motion needs to provide a complete "cloud-based" (cough, cough) backup service that performs a full backup on demand with automatic incremental backups. Each month the user is reminded to perform a full backup with an option to schedule the backup process for a specific date and time. BlackBerry Desktop Software should only be necessary for manual device software updates in the event an OTA/WiFi update is unsuccessful.
    I want better backup and restore also. I want to be able to backup and restore individual apps. That way software I own, be it via purchase or free offer, can be backed up and restored even if it changes price. Also, I can restore an older version if the new version proves problematic for whatever reason. Currently, if it works at all, it is an all or nothing restoration of apps or media or settings.
    10-14-12 10:46 AM
    Can I just check what a hard reboot is please......does it mean more than powering off holding down the power button? I'm tech inept so any help appreciated....thanks
    10-14-12 11:05 AM
    Can I just check what a hard reboot is please......does it mean more than powering off holding down the power button? I'm tech inept so any help appreciated....thanks
    Different theories!

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.
    mike4444 likes this.
    10-14-12 11:42 AM
    Did the three button hold down.....didn't take a pic! And pb rebooted....only had one mini-freeze since....will keep monitoring....
    10-14-12 01:50 PM
    My experience with the upgrade regarding crash browser is still happening but less than the beta upgrade. I'm a vanilla user that do not have any side loaded apps. The main site that I visits is crackberry. 99% site of the browser crash happen on this site. Of course I'm not going to blame crackberry unless I get something out of it. LOL!! The only issue I'm still trying to work on is backing up the device. It hasn't been working for awhile. I did backup once since beta but haven't been able to do so since.
    10-14-12 02:06 PM
    Nobody is forcing anybody to participate in a thread they don't want to.
    I skipped many a thread for many a reason.
    That being said I see a lot of people offering help with various fixes theres no need to get personal about it if a poster is so annoyed by what they think is whining then move on for the user that's having problems with their unit I don't blame them for being upset ******** a little if it was me i would be pretty pissed about it so I would try some of the fixes in this thread and the millions of other threads if I still was not abel to get my unit running right then I would just ditch it PERIOD.
    Lead the horse to water its up to the horse to drink or not to drink move on.
    I'm just thankful that I've had a few minor issues with my pb that I fixed with help from some of the fine people on crackberry and for those with problems that are ruining their experience I feel bad for them on a human level so if your having problems try to fix them and if you want to vent about it I personally don't have a problem with it.
    mike4444 and sad_old_man like this.
    10-14-12 02:30 PM
    Did the three button hold down.....didn't take a pic! And pb rebooted....only had one mini-freeze since....will keep monitoring....
    If the PB goes completely off and it restarts on it's own, then you had a successful reboot. I was running. 688 with no battery drain or other issues, but after the update, I performed two immediate re-boots and have had no issues since, including battery drain, which I monitor with Battery Guru. I did have an issue with some weird browser loading but that turned out to be a router issue at work.
    mike4444 likes this.
    10-14-12 03:33 PM
    I feel the same way. It is no fun using a device working only half the time.
    10-14-12 03:58 PM
    My PB is pretty much the same since I upgraded from. 840 beta to 2.1. Browser has started crashing, not frequently but it does. SMS bridge does not work, Twitter stopped working during the beta, still does not work. Can't imagine why the update was 497MB.
    10-14-12 09:09 PM

People seem to believe that the cloud can solve all storage problems. How long do you think it'll take to upload gigabytes of data, and to keep it synced all the time?
    FF22 likes this.
    10-14-12 11:36 PM
    People seem to believe that the cloud can solve all storage problems. How long do you think it'll take to upload gigabytes of data, and to keep it synced all the time?
    Let the initial backup run overnight. The nightly diffs will be much smaller after that.
    10-14-12 11:54 PM
55 123