This is odd, the standard gmail view in the browser is hosed, showing no mail at all...works fine in basic html and desktop but the standard default view is broken, i have re booted and cleared cache to no avail, is this just a problem for me or is it Gmail wide ?
    01-26-12 07:58 AM
    I noticed it as well, I've given up trying to check email on my PB until 2.0 comes out.
    cogsinister likes this.
    01-26-12 08:14 AM
    I noticed it as well, I've given up trying to check email on my PB until 2.0 comes out.
    Thanks, i thought it was just me, yeah we need the new email client more than ever now.

The playbook is the only way i have of checking my email at the moment.
    01-26-12 08:19 AM
    This is odd, the standard gmail view in the browser is hosed, showing no mail at all...works fine in basic html and desktop but the standard default view is broken, i have re booted and cleared cache to no avail, is this just a problem for me or is it Gmail wide ?
    how did you access the desktop version? i had no success in finding a button or a link for that
    01-26-12 08:39 AM
    I prefer basic html on the pb. Why use that defunct mobile view?
    01-26-12 08:44 AM
    how did you access the desktop version? i had no success in finding a button or a link for that
    In the standard default view, go to the pane on the Left, the one that has your incoming mail in it if its working, and scroll all the way down to the bottom, its a long way but down there it gives you the choice between standard, basic html and desktop, i find the desktop version too slow and unwieldy on the PB myself, i am having to use basic html for now.
    01-26-12 08:46 AM
    I prefer basic html on the pb. Why use that defunct mobile view?
    I would love to use it, but i cant get the browser to default to it, it constantly starts up in the mobile view.
    01-26-12 08:51 AM
    I would love to use it, but i cant get the browser to default to it, it constantly starts up in the mobile view.
    For me too. I just scroll the left side and touch basic html and leave the tab open. Not sure why I can never get it to stick.
    01-26-12 09:09 AM
    For me too. I just scroll the left side and touch basic html and leave the tab open. Not sure why I can never get it to stick.
    i just bookmarked it, so whenever i need gmail it loads up straight into basic html
    cogsinister likes this.
    01-26-12 09:15 AM
    i just bookmarked it, so whenever i need gmail it loads up straight into basic html
    Been there and done that. It still always opens the mobile version.
    01-26-12 09:45 AM
    Same here! I gave up on gmail. I look a mail if I am on bridge, otherwise I'm just bidin' my time until OS 2!
    01-26-12 10:19 AM
    I suggest you buy Simple Browser, it work great with gMail webapp version and is faster than the PlayBook one.
    There is a free version to try it before buy.
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    01-26-12 10:27 AM
    Worked for me.......
    01-26-12 10:48 AM
    I suggest you buy Simple Browser, it work great with gMail webapp version and is faster than the PlayBook one.
    There is a free version to try it before buy.
    No thanks, i will wait for OS 2.0.
    01-26-12 10:49 AM
    No thanks, i will wait for OS 2.0.
    has it been fixed in the 2.0 beta?

I tried simple browser once and it crashed the whole thing and had to hard reset.
    01-26-12 10:51 AM
    Worked for me.......
    How about after clearing cache and all?
    01-26-12 10:56 AM
    How about after clearing cache and all?
    I cleared the cache, but i did not clear everything as putting all my passwords into sites again is such a pain.

It had no effect, the standard Gmail view still says "no offline mail" and both sides are completly empty.
    01-26-12 11:03 AM
    I've noticed it too... just waiting for OS2 update, which can't get here fast enough...
    01-26-12 11:14 AM
    It's too much work to touch a link or 2? Does your mother cut your meat for you and stir your icecream also? It is not such a difficult task.
    01-26-12 11:14 AM
    It's too much work to touch a link or 2? Does your mother cut your meat for you and stir your icecream also? It is not such a difficult task.

Yes - it is too much work.

At that point it's easier to use my phone or wait until I'm in front of the computer. The tablet is supposed to be convenient; having to scroll around and adjust settings every time may not be difficult, but it's a pain and FOR ME makes it not worth using for checking email.

Your mileage may vary; I'll continue to wait for a proper email client.

**Edit to add: I find is mildly amusing that when PB came out without email all the true believers were saying "just use the browser for webmail, what's so hard about that?". Now it's "just use the browser for webmail and adjust the settings every time, what's so hard about that?".

Somewhere in there I reached my tolerance level.
    Last edited by Mikey_T; 01-26-12 at 11:30 AM.
    01-26-12 11:22 AM
    Try with this link

https://mail.google.com/mail/h/1rslg...i=1&f=1&shva=1

P.S. You have to be connected to gMail before.
    Last edited by Sergag; 01-26-12 at 11:39 AM.
    01-26-12 11:31 AM

At that point it's easier to use my phone or wait until I'm in front of the computer. The tablet is supposed to be convenient; having to scroll around and adjust settings every time may not be difficult, but it's a pain and FOR ME makes it not worth using for checking email.

**Edit to add: I find is mildly amusing that when PB came out without email all the true believers were saying "just use the browser for webmail, what's so hard about that?". Now it's "just use the browser for webmail and adjust the settings every time, what's so hard about that?".

NP I guess you'll just have to wait. Be amused all you want. I'm sure there are things on other much more mature platforms that require a different method of getting to the same result.
    01-26-12 11:42 AM
    Yep, I find that this method loads a little faster than using the PB icon anyway, plus I like the full gmail version much better, so works for me, but YMMV.
    01-26-12 11:44 AM

Certainly if you've reached your tolerance level and find it inconvenient, your options are to use your PC and wait for a "proper email client".

I hear ya on having to "to scroll around and adjust settings every time" can certainly be a PITA.

Give it some time. Everyone knows the PB isn't quite up to snuff. There are faults, bugs, and quirks. This is the first release on a brand new product. A modicum of that should have been expected... It'll all get ironed out in time...
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-26-12 12:15 PM
    Just had to say that Simple Browser works perfect! Google Music is running so much better than in the native browser... Thanks for the advice!
    01-26-12 07:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD