Anyone else having this problem? I setup my gmail account with OS 2.0 and everything syncs fine (love it) but every 5 minutes or so it disconnects and says unable to authenticate and a popup appears asking me to input my password again. Its happening a lot so its getting kind of irritating.

Any suggestions?
    02-21-12 02:10 PM
    Anyone else having this problem? I setup my gmail account with OS 2.0 and everything syncs fine (love it) but every 5 minutes or so it disconnects and says unable to authenticate and a popup appears asking me to input my password again. Its happening a lot so its getting kind of irritating.

Any suggestions?
    you might try the gmail thread/s instead of opening a new one. I believe your question was asked and answered in one of them.
    02-21-12 02:11 PM
    Google has improved the security on user accounts in recent months. Better security is good, but as frequently happens, there are also various pains in the a$$ that go with it.

Go into Gmail on a desktop system, and in the help sections search "Application Specific Password", and you'll get the steps to generate a unique password for devices, including the Playbook.
    TinRobot likes this.
    02-21-12 02:13 PM
    if its been answered apologies, I did search the forums first
    02-21-12 02:13 PM
    thx Thunder I'll try that
    02-21-12 02:14 PM
    Google has improved the security on user accounts in recent months. Better security is good, but as frequently happens, there are also various pains in the a$$ that go with it.

Go into Gmail on a desktop system, and in the help sections search "Application Specific Password", and you'll get the steps to generate a unique password for devices, including the Playbook.
    Hey, thanks a bunch! This seems to have solved the problem I was having with Gmail. No sign of the returning password window.
    02-21-12 05:31 PM
    I was having issues with gmail too. Looks like IT IS NOT RIM's fault... It's definitely on the gmail end. I re added my gmail using the IMAP option instead of gmail. Seems to work flawlessly now. Only thing is that the Calendar isn't synced with google calendar.... but I never use that anyways. Just use Outlook at work. So now I happily have my two email accounts, facebook and twitter all hooked up. Next step... full twitter integration? Please?
    02-21-12 06:35 PM
    I was having issues with gmail too. Looks like IT IS NOT RIM's fault... It's definitely on the gmail end. I re added my gmail using the IMAP option instead of gmail. Seems to work flawlessly now. Only thing is that the Calendar isn't synced with google calendar.... but I never use that anyways. Just use Outlook at work. So now I happily have my two email accounts, facebook and twitter all hooked up. Next step... full twitter integration? Please?
    How i do this? im having same issue
    02-21-12 08:09 PM
    Hey, thanks a bunch! This seems to have solved the problem I was having with Gmail. No sign of the returning password window.
    UPDATE :
    Actually it is not fixed. The problem has returned several hours later. I am hoping that it is a temporary google thing. Sigh.
    Will have to do more research.
    02-21-12 09:39 PM
    I was having this problem. There is another thread addressing Gmail issues (a few actually) but what fixed it for me was adding the account using advanced options. Then select Gmail and fill in the details (username, email, password). Hope that helps.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    02-21-12 09:42 PM
    well please let us know if/when you figure it out cause I got the same trouble and I just deleted gmail form the PB because fit got so bad.
    02-21-12 09:44 PM
    well please let us know if/when you figure it out cause I got the same trouble and I just deleted gmail form the PB because fit got so bad.
    I believe this a gmail issue. It happens at least weekly on both my droid and my ipad. And prolonged attempts will lock you out and fore you to log-in from a desktop to correct I.

I have not had a free moment to update my PB as yet. Hoping I don't run into this same issue.
    02-21-12 09:48 PM
    Yeah, I'm still having this problem, too. Tried the two-step authentication thing and that didn't work. Trying the Advanced Settings option now, turning off SSL to see if that makes a diff. Hard reboot as well.
    02-22-12 01:23 AM
    Ack! Just happened to me too, after using Gmail all day today...
    02-22-12 03:19 AM
    I was having this problem. There is another thread addressing Gmail issues (a few actually) but what fixed it for me was adding the account using advanced options. Then select Gmail and fill in the details (username, email, password). Hope that helps.
    So far, so good.
    02-22-12 03:21 AM
    And just like that... it's back... puzzling...
    02-22-12 03:23 AM
    In the Gmail account settings under advanced, I have turned push off and set the sync interval to 15 minutes.

This isn't ideal but has stopped the password requests popping up, guessing the Gmail side was being over loaded with authentication requests from playbook?
    02-22-12 04:05 AM
    Hmmm... still doing it a lot on mine after trying the 'fix'. I'm about to turn off the sync pretty soon its coming up every couple minutes!

Glad to see I'm not the only one though. Hope it's fixed soon =/
    02-22-12 08:33 AM
  19. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Having had same problem...
    02-22-12 08:38 AM
    I'm having the same trouble trying to set up my work email -- a non Gmail -- account. I get stuck in this vicious loop of having to imput my password. I just deleted the account. I think this is a 2.0 problem since it happens with more than gmail. I got it to load once and it looked fine, then I got stuck in the loop and just deleted the acct out of frustration. Even my IT person didn't get it. Our email server is basically easy and has no secret security attached to it -- the IT person was puzzled as well.
    02-22-12 08:39 AM
    Originally Posted by you sir name
    I'll try deleting my account and resetting it up this way.
    Last edited by mossfoot; 02-22-12 at 10:58 AM.
    02-22-12 10:54 AM
    I deleted my account and put it back in using Advanced settings - so far so good! Give it a shot!
    02-22-12 10:35 PM
    The gmail support for PB seems to be having intermittent conectivity issue. Better use the IMAP setup. Details are available in the post http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...roblem-702234/
    02-22-12 10:41 PM
    Mine keeps asking in my regular POP COX account not Gmail.
    02-23-12 12:25 AM
    Yeah I got it to work using the IMAP setup under advanced setup but then my contacts and calendar aren't linked. Isn't that one of the main reasons people use Gmail?
    02-24-12 05:46 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD