01-16-12 06:03 PM
115 ... 345
tools
    Because the entire point of this thread was that gizmodo reported something positive about BB? If you extrapolate what isn't there then the article is worthless as a positive word, because you are just inserting your own words.
    The issue and topic is about BB OS2.0 and the media coverage of it, the article was about OS 2.0, my post was about OS2.0 and their poor coverage of it. The floor is yours if you want to discuss the coverage by Gizmodo and other media outlets, or the substance which is OS2.0. Gizmodo is what it is, perhaps I expect too much.
    01-14-12 01:12 AM
    Essentially they're saying it's a huge surprise because it now includes a bunch of stuff that it should have already had.... So depending on how you read this, it's not really that positive, it's just not really negative... Having played with it at CES it doesn't exactly blow your mind or anything.

I think part of the "surprise" is that RIM has stuck it out and not only filled in the holes, but provided something that shows a lot of planning and thought.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-14-12 02:43 AM
    I think part of the "surprise" is that RIM has stuck it out and not only filled in the holes, but provided something that shows a lot of planning and thought.
    I think we are all used to RIM overpromising and underdelivering which makes it genuinely shocking that they appear to have gone so far to having a great email/contacts/calendar integrated experience on PB.

(My main concern is how buggy the software may be. I had an early PB and boy, was it buggy. RIM cannot afford to miss the February launch date, that just isn't an option. Consequently if it is buggy they will have to release it. I hope to be pleasantly surprised as OS2 is going to make my PB much more a part of my daily life. Anyway, that's off topic...)
    01-14-12 06:44 AM
    I think the playbook will sell at a higher price if it's great, people will spend to get something desirable

Current pbs are selling for less because it was an 'unfinished' product. If playbook2 comes-out with even better specs, they can sell that at regular price and the current pb at the discount. Eventually pb1 stocks will runout and pb2 will remain.

I doubt Fire is selling at below or at-cost
    01-14-12 12:41 PM
    i just sold my PB because i know ipad3 will have that capability. that means the ipad will be going with me in the bathroom everytime i take a ....
    Uhhh... There's a pad for that?!?!?...
    01-14-12 01:18 PM

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    A lot of planning would be shown by hitting your own release dates, not missing them repeatedly...
    01-14-12 06:21 PM
    Unless the PlayBook has native "wipe my a55" capabilities, critics won't be satisfied. But all things considered, they are managing the transition pretty well - even if they are doing it a little slower than we'd all expect.
    I am more than content to wait for an OS that wont require multiple bug fixes or OAT patches. Better to take the time and make sure OS2 is built/designed properly than to have every critic pointing the finger claiming " See, told you they released it too soon ... AND its still late!"
    01-14-12 09:07 PM
    I pointed this out earlier in this thread: do people who buy iPads, Touchpads, Android tablets, etc need to buy a separate phone to make their tablet fully functional? Nope. I think buying a Playbook should be seen as buying a stand-alone blackberry device, complete with its own PIN. RIM should get out of the mindset that Playbooks should JUST be for current BB users. That's their downfall in the tablet market, IMHO. Playbooks and ALL of its functionality should be available for EVERYONE that wants one!
    I'm sorry but the PB is not JUST for current BlackBerry users. Everyone who wants one CAN buy one. I feel BBM on PB is more like a 'benefit' of also owning a BB phone. A bonus for those with both if you will.

I guess I just cant comprehend why someone would want ANOTHER texting /communication method with another contact list etc. So not only will you have contact list on your ph but also on your PB. Ya I don't see that meshing together properly .... too many issues such as ppl sending messages to the wrong device etc. I see more problems with RIM putting BBM on PB than not having it.

Also, for BBM you need a connection to a cellular network .. and that is not currently built into the PB so keep dreaming.

Mental note : Join Android forum and complain that they are not making iMessage available on my Android tablet .....
    01-14-12 11:23 PM
    A lot of planning would be shown by hitting your own release dates, not missing them repeatedly...
    I am referring to the design and function, not the timing.
    01-14-12 11:27 PM
    I'm sorry but the PB is not JUST for current BlackBerry users. Everyone who wants one CAN buy one. I feel BBM on PB is more like a 'benefit' of also owning a BB phone. A bonus for those with both if you will.

I guess I just cant comprehend why someone would want ANOTHER texting /communication method with another contact list etc. So not only will you have contact list on your ph but also on your PB. Ya I don't see that meshing together properly .... too many issues such as ppl sending messages to the wrong device etc. I see more problems with RIM putting BBM on PB than not having it.

Also, for BBM you need a connection to a cellular network .. and that is not currently built into the PB so keep dreaming.

Mental note : Join Android forum and complain that they are not making iMessage available on my Android tablet .....
    Just because you can't comprehend that some people like options and more functionality than less doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Say Joe Schmoe is in the market for a tablet. He really likes the design and OS, gestures, etc of the Playbook, but oh no! Joe uses an iPhone and not a blackberry, so he can't have native email or calendar! Joe really liked all other aspects of the Playbook, but unfortunately he needs those functions so he has to move on and look at another product.

I'd also like to point out that this has caused a lot of confusion for consumers that gloss over the PB because they've heard that "it only works with a blackberry phone." For example, I'm having difficulty connecting devices to my Amaze's WiFi hotspot feature. I took my Amaze and PB to Tmo to demonstrate the issue. I showed the rep that my PB would connect to my Amaze just fine, but I couldn't actually use the data service. The rep in the kiosk next to us was looking over, and he said "Oh you wasted your money, Playbooks only work when connected to a blackberry not regular WiFi." I shook my head and explained to him that they run on any WiFi connection and explained bridge functionality to him. We connected the PB to the store's WiFi and I then connected the PB to my 9700 and showed him the extra bridge functionality. I think he was pretty impressed, as was the rep helping me out. Moral of the story? I'm sure a lot of average consumers had the same misconception as the other rep. And how many times do you think they relayed that same misinformation to their friends and colleagues? My opinion is that a fully functional, stand alone device wouldn't have generated as much confusion.

Regarding managing bbm on two separate devices, do you ask the same question to people that use blackberry phones? I know several on this site and they seem to manage just fine.

And as for your last line, I was discussing bbm functionality on both blackberry phones and Playbooks, was I not? Your comment would have been more relevant had you said "Join an iOS forum and complain that iMessage isn't available for iPad" which doesn't make any sense because iMessage IS available for iPad? Can you explain what you meant by that comment, or did I fall for a weak trolling attempt?
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 01-15-12 at 10:30 AM.
    01-15-12 10:27 AM
    We really do need RIM to deliver on the February promise. I just hope its early Feb and notbat the end.
    You took the words right out of my mouth! What I saw about OS 2.0 was impressive.
    01-15-12 10:31 AM
    I wonder what all the Android and iPhone fans who come here to Crackberry to put down the Playbook will do in February when OS 2.0 is released with the best native email/calendar/contacts of any tablet, access to thousands of Android apps, remote control of the tablet through your BB phone (a first of any tablet, true innovation), much improved keyboard with spell check and word suggestions etc.

They won't have anything to complain about! Maybe they will go back to their own forums? One can only hope

As to BBM, if you don't pay for it (through the fee the carrier pays RIM as part of your plan), you don't get it. So you will probably never see it on WIFI. If you don't have a BB phone you don't get BBM, if you do you have it on your PB via Bridge. Nothing is missing from the PB re-BBM.
    01-15-12 08:33 PM
    Imagine if BBM was native on the PlayBook. User base would increase and RIM would have more income.

On top of that, the growing user base would encourage developers to create more BBM-based super-apps and BBM-connected gaming.

I'd love to race against a fellow BBMer in Asphalt 6!
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-16-12 12:27 AM
    If paying for bbm was the only issue I'd gladly pay. For example, if they could make it a downloadable app in the app store and price it as a one time fee of like $15 or a yearly fee of $10 (just examples) I'd definitely be interested.
    01-16-12 10:24 AM
    I totally agree they should include BBM for free on the PB, but they are probably still thinking it's one of the only remaining things (besides the awesome keyboards) that makes their phones stand out...so I doubt it will happen.
    01-16-12 06:03 PM
115 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD