I guess all the positive response to CES is showing on Wall Street. RIMM up 5.32% today to $16.44.
    Actually it closed at $16.80 ... or is that just the difference between the Canadian and US dollar?
    01-12-12 06:47 PM
    All of this hype will actually mean something when we download this to our playbooks. Until then this is vaporware.
    01-12-12 06:52 PM
    Doesn't bbm require BIS/BES and a pin. How are they going to do that over wifi? I think they need to change how bbm works before it will work over wifi.. I could be way off base though.
    I use BBM, and BES email over wifi on a regular basis.
    01-12-12 06:54 PM
    I use BBM, and BES email over wifi on a regular basis.
    Yes but could you if you didn't have BES or BIS? I think not. Neither will an android or iphone owner.
    01-12-12 06:57 PM
    Wow. Gizmodo has something positive to say? That's extraordinary!
    teeuwen likes this.
    01-12-12 06:59 PM
    01-12-12 07:00 PM
    A steady stream of positive reviews will be irresistible to consumers and the playbook will become a mainstream product/success.

At CES they didn't show anything about updates to the media features in the playbook (Ex. camera/video, music, picture editing,...) If this is also great in OS2, then I think it will really catch-on with consumers/business because so much power in such a portable package is irresistable
    Last edited by anthogag; 01-12-12 at 07:13 PM.
    01-12-12 07:11 PM
    The PlayBook can be on a BES... As long it is a BES with Mobile Fusion, RIM's new take on corporate mobile management.

1st BGR (Zack, not Geller) and now Gizmodo. I'd be happy if TechCrunch would do the same, along with a proper appology.

Oh, The Verge has been giving it a good amount of coverage too. Quite fair treatment there.
    You're right, PB is BES now through our phones at work, but when we get Balance and Mobile Fusion, it will be on BES standalone.
    01-12-12 07:20 PM
    Why a big deal on native BBM? If one has BB phone, BBM can be bridged. If one does not have BB phone, it means the guy perhaps could not careless about BBM and using other IM apps. I can't comprehend the rant on this native BBM matter. On top of that, BBM links to specific PIN and this creates issue with the guy owning BB phone and PB. It perhaps can be worked out, but if I am running the development dept at RIM, this native BBM feature on PB is the least I am worried about.

However, BES comment is fair and square. I do not know how many BES clients out there comparing to BIS clients. Perhaps that ratio make and break this feature priority coming out to the new OS2 update.

The more I read about CES 2012 updates, the more pumped I am about my two mobile devices in my hands
    I hear ya, but couldn't the same be said for everything else as long as you have bridge. I would think if you have to use bridge to use all these functions, then why the outcry from the get go?

I mean I could understand more so of you didn't have a BB phone, but if you have one, just bridge it and the stuff all works.

So now that this stuff is native, how it should have been from the get go, it now gets rave reviews. I must be thinking outside the box or something.

Even the original one can use Android apps, so not sure what all the hub bub is about honestly.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BoldtotheMax; 01-12-12 at 07:36 PM.
    01-12-12 07:30 PM
    Still don't see an actual apology, only some waffling and a maybe-promise to come by and apologize "another time".
    01-12-12 07:51 PM
    if i were running the pr dept. At rim, i'd be sending a 64gb pb with fully functional os2.0 preloaded on it, to every stinkin' tech writer i could find. They need to get as much positive press as they can get.
    + 1000,000000,0000
    01-12-12 08:05 PM
    RIM did what they had to at CES, but we're nowhere near out of the woods yet.

Some critics are still pointing to the lack of native BBM and the ability to register a Playbook on a BES yet, so there's still a few details to address. Generally, though, the press has been positive, and this piece on Giz is pretty encouraging. Especially given the snarky tone of their original post reporting the 2.0 enhancements.

What I'd like to know now is how many PBs got sold during Q4.
    Unless the PlayBook has native "wipe my a55" capabilities, critics won't be satisfied. But all things considered, they are managing the transition pretty well - even if they are doing it a little slower than we'd all expect.
    shame23 and teeuwen like this.
    01-12-12 08:09 PM
    Nice to see some positive press finally. But even with the 'lousy' and often criticized OS1.0, I still reach for my PB 9-1 over my iPad 2 and my PB pretty much goes everywhere with me. With the Bridge plus its size its already a winner to me, OS2.0 is just going to be extra icing on the cake.
    Bisboxer likes this.
    01-12-12 08:57 PM
    Man I am so glad that I picked up a 64GB PlayBook... Bring on the update already!

Imagine if it released early, that would be just freaking amazing!
    I bought the 16GB a day after launch since I was busy on launch day. Sad that I did. Kinda wish I had a 64GB just to be able to shove movies and music on and forget about it. Deadspace is a big game!
    01-12-12 09:57 PM
    Unless the PlayBook has native "wipe my a55" capabilities
    i just sold my PB because i know ipad3 will have that capability. that means the ipad will be going with me in the bathroom everytime i take a ....
    01-12-12 10:19 PM
    i just sold my PB because i know ipad3 will have that capability. that means the ipad will be going with me in the bathroom everytime i take a ....
    that is definitely where the ipad 3 belongs.... JUST KIDDING!
    purijagmohan likes this.
    01-12-12 10:24 PM
    However, BES comment is fair and square. I do not know how many BES clients out there comparing to BIS clients. Perhaps that ratio make and break this feature priority coming out to the new OS2 update.
    Classic BES isn't going to be supported. What we have instead is Mobile Fusion, which is basically BES2. Just like RIM started fresh with Tablet OS/BB10 they're starting fresh on BES at the same. Re-designed to fix all the old issues with BES, and introduce a bunch of new features they couldn't support before.

Hopefully OS2 is a little more lenient with what types of audio and video files can be played (I'm looking at you .mkv). Everything else is just gravy
    See my post at http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...2/#post7012242 . MKV is in 2.0, but there's catches.
    pmccartney and drjay868 like this.
    01-12-12 10:59 PM
    From day one, I was impressed with the QNX software on the Playbook. With os 2.0 and BBX, this tablet is just gong to get sweeter and sweeter.
    01-13-12 03:19 AM
    We shouldn't get too caught up in CES excitement or CES-inspired news pieces. CES has become too big for its own good, and it's debatable whether it really matters anymore. The good thing about CES is that RIM's prominent display of the Playbook and talk about its future argues RIM has not yet given up on the Playbook and probably will give us those promised goodies in February. But, RIM still has to find a way to make money on the Playbook, in spite of the new $200 lower pricepoint for 7" tablets set by Amazon with the Fire, not to mention the new quad-core entries apparently to be priced not much more than that. And, the bigger picture uncertainties surrounding RIM's own future remain. It's apparently an attractive takeover target, with the likely suitors more interested in RIM's patents than anything else. Well, it will be interesting to watch. Whatever happens, we should at least have a fully-baked OS2 and mail/calendar apps.
    Last edited by Unsure2; 01-13-12 at 03:58 AM.
    01-13-12 03:49 AM
    Confidence in RIM will grow once they start meeting their commitments, delivering on targets and setting themselves goals that are achievable, which would mean being honest with consumers. When the new phones do arrive they must be nothing short of phenomenal, especially with all the acquisitions made by RIM to improve BB software.
    RIM need to understand what consumers want, delivering the Playbook without a standalone PIM and with only a Blackberry Bridge option was a massive mistake (make no mistake, email web apps don't cut it). The Playbook however is a exceptionally solid tablet and I can't put mine down.

OS 2.0 will make it a force to be reckoned with and when more TAT influences start to appear in BB10 all the other tablets will start running for cover no matter how many apps they have, thinking about Cascades UI, . Hopefully this will set us up nicely for a Playbook 2

But RIM do need to infuse the app market with greater productivity apps and keep upping the momentum with developers to ensure all the best apps arrive on the market. Get the GPS working to its full potential, and get proper navigation like tomtom on the playbook, the rest will follow.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-13-12 05:21 AM
    But, RIM still has to find a way to make money on the Playbook, in spite of the new $200 lower pricepoint for 7" tablets set by Amazon with the Fire, not to mention the new quad-core entries apparently to be priced not much more than that.
    Do they really?

It's actually a debatable point. What if they merely didn't lose money on the PlayBook, even after taking everything into account (like the higher margins on the 32 and 64GB, the App World revenues, accessories, etc)?

What if they merely broke even on the PlayBook (or made or lost a little... not important for my argument) but they used it to support the BB10 phone in the market, both before and after their introduction? And made lots of money on those...
    jedibeeftrix and cbvinh like this.
    01-13-12 07:38 AM
    I mean the version of anything that comes out always needs some tweaking . I mean look at the first iPhone and the first iPad. Now we have iPhone 4s and iPad 3 right around the corner. people seem to forget about the first ones that hit the market and the changes that were needed to get where they are today. Never heard a bad word about Apple and theirs needing improvements. How can anyone compare a PB to a iPad 2 anyway. So lets see where RIM takes this on to the next level. I use a BB torch 9800 and I am holding off as bad as I hate to wiring on the OS10 devices because I can just feel it in my bones they are going to be super
    01-13-12 08:12 AM
    Why a big deal on native BBM? If one has BB phone, BBM can be bridged. If one does not have BB phone, it means the guy perhaps could not careless about BBM and using other IM apps. I can't comprehend the rant on this native BBM matter. On top of that, BBM links to specific PIN and this creates issue with the guy owning BB phone and PB. It perhaps can be worked out, but if I am running the development dept at RIM, this native BBM feature on PB is the least I am worried about.

The more I read about CES 2012 updates, the more pumped I am about my two mobile devices in my hands
    I agree . who cares about BBM on the playbook. If you don't own a BB phone you aren't using it anyway. Get over it. The PB is a tool not a socializing toy like the apples and androids. I'm very excited about OS 2 and what this pair of BB products I got will be able to do
    doxa sub750T and QWKSNKE like this.
    01-13-12 08:19 AM
    I agree . who cares about BBM on the playbook. If you don't own a BB phone you aren't using it anyway. Get over it. The PB is a tool not a socializing toy like the apples and androids. I'm very excited about OS 2 and what this pair of BB products I got will be able to do
    And for those people who want a Playbook as a stand-alone blackberry device?? They should be left out of the BBM circle, or for that matter left out of other native apps?? Plus, Apples and Androids aren't exactly "socializing toys" as you so eloquently put it.

Am I excited for OS2? Abso-friggin-lutely. The BB I have is not on my main line, and it really doesn't get used for much more than BBM, and now bridging with the BB. I'm excited to get more native functionality on my PB.
    01-13-12 08:27 AM

Agree, can't understand it either. You have it when it's bridged it does not need to be native at all. Just one more thing for people to moan about.

It would make far more sense to have something like WhatsApp on the Playbook... I use that on my BB all the time as many of my friends have iphones.

BB Phones and Playbook are the ultimate mobile pair.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-13-12 08:40 AM
115 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD