Gizmodo is coming around:

The Biggest Surprise of CES

That's the first positive word they've had for Playbook since April. Cudos RIM.

Dave
    01-12-12 02:01 PM
    It's good to see the positive reports start rolling in for a change.
    01-12-12 02:03 PM
    This is a welcome change from the usual RIM bashing going on.
    downphoenix and PG923 like this.
    01-12-12 02:21 PM
    ive read a few articles this week that has praised RIM for what theyve done with 2.0. and from writers who have previously bashed RIM. i see the tide turning.... RIMpire strikes back!
    Serkle K, Jake2826, CDM76 and 1 others like this.
    01-12-12 02:32 PM
    Geez that is different, maybe the checks from apple stopped coming.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Just Me, Snoman002, Eli_B and 12 others like this.
    01-12-12 02:34 PM
    ive read a few articles this week that has praised RIM for what theyve done with 2.0. and from writers who have previously bashed RIM. i see the tide turning.... RIMpire strikes back!
    RIM did what they had to at CES, but we're nowhere near out of the woods yet.

Some critics are still pointing to the lack of native BBM and the ability to register a Playbook on a BES yet, so there's still a few details to address. Generally, though, the press has been positive, and this piece on Giz is pretty encouraging. Especially given the snarky tone of their original post reporting the 2.0 enhancements.

What I'd like to know now is how many PBs got sold during Q4.
    01-12-12 02:35 PM
    I think the general media expected RIM to have a no show at CES2012; no PlayBook OS 2.0, no new devices and no BlackBerry 10 details.

And while those things were true, we did get
    -Concrete details with demos for PlayBook OS 2.0
    -Big Name apps that weren't there before
    -A concrete transition to BlackBerry 10 might happen through refinement and improvements to PlayBook OS 2.0

Now it's up to RIM to deliver PlayBook OS 2.0 in February and give the world some concrete deliverables come MWC at the end of February.
    spike12 likes this.
    01-12-12 03:31 PM
    We really do need RIM to deliver on the February promise. I just hope its early Feb and notbat the end.
    01-12-12 03:53 PM
    We really do need RIM to deliver on the February promise. I just hope its early Feb and notbat the end.
    Feb is Black History month. So I think they will be releasing in February
    tofo17 and johnny316 like this.
    01-12-12 04:00 PM
    One more step positive. Let them keep coming.
    01-12-12 04:41 PM
    Doesn't bbm require BIS/BES and a pin. How are they going to do that over wifi? I think they need to change how bbm works before it will work over wifi.. I could be way off base though.
    menaknow likes this.
    01-12-12 04:56 PM
    WOW....GOOD press for the PlayBook. Short but sweet. This is the first step in a positive direction......."kodos" for OS2.0
    01-12-12 05:02 PM
    The PlayBook can be on a BES... As long it is a BES with Mobile Fusion, RIM's new take on corporate mobile management.

1st BGR (Zack, not Geller) and now Gizmodo. I'd be happy if TechCrunch would do the same, along with a proper appology.

Oh, The Verge has been giving it a good amount of coverage too. Quite fair treatment there.
    Last edited by diegonei; 01-12-12 at 05:12 PM.
    01-12-12 05:10 PM
    Doesn't bbm require BIS/BES and a pin. How are they going to do that over wifi? I think they need to change how bbm works before it will work over wifi.. I could be way off base though.
    No, I think you are right.
    01-12-12 05:14 PM
    If I were running the PR dept. at RIM, I'd be sending a 64gb PB with fully functional OS2.0 preloaded on it, to every stinkin' tech writer I could find. They need to get as much positive press as they can get.
    Slepejs likes this.
    01-12-12 05:20 PM
    If I were running the PR dept. at RIM, I'd be sending a 64gb PB with fully functional OS2.0 preloaded on it, to every stinkin' tech writer I could find. They need to get as much positive press as they can get.
    As I understand it, they already have the devices. RIM would just have to enable the update for them.

Good idea nonetheless.
    01-12-12 05:25 PM
    Why a big deal on native BBM? If one has BB phone, BBM can be bridged. If one does not have BB phone, it means the guy perhaps could not careless about BBM and using other IM apps. I can't comprehend the rant on this native BBM matter. On top of that, BBM links to specific PIN and this creates issue with the guy owning BB phone and PB. It perhaps can be worked out, but if I am running the development dept at RIM, this native BBM feature on PB is the least I am worried about.

However, BES comment is fair and square. I do not know how many BES clients out there comparing to BIS clients. Perhaps that ratio make and break this feature priority coming out to the new OS2 update.

The more I read about CES 2012 updates, the more pumped I am about my two mobile devices in my hands
    01-12-12 05:33 PM
    Why a big deal on native BBM? If one has BB phone, BBM can be bridged. If one does not have BB phone, it means the guy perhaps could not careless about BBM and using other IM apps. I can't comprehend the rant on this native BBM matter. On top of that, BBM links to specific PIN and this creates issue with the guy owning BB phone and PB. It perhaps can be worked out, but if I am running the development dept at RIM, this native BBM feature on PB is the least I am worried about.

However, BES comment is fair and square. I do not know how many BES clients out there comparing to BIS clients. Perhaps that ratio make and break this feature priority coming out to the new OS2 update.

The more I read about CES 2012 updates, the more pumped I am about my two mobile devices in my hands
    I agree I could care less about native bbm but it seems to be one of those sticky points many bring up.
    01-12-12 05:36 PM

I agree. I have an Android and I personally do not care at all for BBM as obviously I am not going to use it. In fact going into the purchase I knew about all the shortcomings and I still thought that it was a great tablet. I am now even more excited for OS2.

Hopefully OS2 is a little more lenient with what types of audio and video files can be played (I'm looking at you .mkv). Everything else is just gravy
    doxa sub750T and Bisboxer like this.
    01-12-12 05:37 PM
    Man I am so glad that I picked up a 64GB PlayBook... Bring on the update already!

Imagine if it released early, that would be just freaking amazing!
    spike12 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    01-12-12 05:51 PM
    Good write up. Just saying well... it is good. Acknowledge the nice tech. Will it sell really well? No one knows for sure. So don't say with absolution that it will or will not. You can say it has not so far as a version 1 device. Here's another chance. Hopefully RIM has learned a few lessons about retail as well.
    01-12-12 06:09 PM

Why would the iPad need iMessage? Obviously cross-platform would be better, but I don't see anything wrong with being able to securely message with a pool of over 75 million other people in the world and if BB10 takes off, there will many more users. BBM is one of RIM's biggest assets, why not push that out to someone who doesn't own a BB phone? Personally, I'd rather have Enterprise Messenger, but now that I have Citrix Receiver, I can access my corporate IM at least.

I'm liking everything that I've seen demoed. In a strange way it kind of pisses me off because I wish RIM would have had this when the PB launched. I keep thinking about all the great reviews it would have, the BestBuy salesman not pushing people away, RIM's stock not getting hammered as badly and how much further along in app development we would have had, but atleast RIM stuck with it instead of folding like HP did.
    01-12-12 06:14 PM
    I guess all the positive response to CES is showing on Wall Street. RIMM up 5.32% today to $16.44.
    Bisboxer and pantlesspenguin like this.
    01-12-12 06:19 PM
    I guess all the positive response to CES is showing on Wall Street. RIMM up 5.32% today to $16.44.
    It would be nice to think so (and there HAVE been analyst upgrades, presumably in the wake of good press from CES), but it likely has more to do with takeover speculation. There was a report today that RIM has approached investment bank Goldman Sachs. For what, we don't know.
    01-12-12 06:41 PM
    It would be nice to think so (and there HAVE been analyst upgrades, presumably in the wake of good press from CES), but it likely has more to do with takeover speculation. There was a report today that RIM has approached investment bank Goldman Sachs. For what, we don't know.
    Goldman Sachs are experts in finding buyers or venture capital partners. That could be where the stock uptick is coming from. Speculation of a buy out.
    01-12-12 06:46 PM
115 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD