My son wants the top to bottom swipe back. His PlayBook comes back from standby with just a touch and he hates it. Is there a way to get the swipe from top to bottom again?
    02-26-12 07:59 PM
    It should wake to a touch only when on the charger. Take it off the charger and it works the old way.

There's no way to adjust the behaviour in either case.
    02-26-12 08:00 PM
    Works from bottom to top, right to left and left to right too.^^ And yes try what peter9477 has mentioned.
    02-26-12 08:03 PM
    Works from bottom to top, right to left and left to right too.^^ And yes try what peter9477 has mentioned.
    hmmm - just realized that mine do the same... "any" swipe will wake it up...
    02-26-12 09:22 PM
    It should wake to a touch only when on the charger. Take it off the charger and it works the old way.

There's no way to adjust the behaviour in either case.
    It does it all the time, not just when on the charger. And it started with the os2 update.

Not a big deal, but if he puts it in his bag, anything touches it and it wakes up, so he loses more battery power that way.
    02-26-12 09:37 PM
    How very odd! I just tried this with mine and once in "standby" the only way I can wake it up is with a full swipe. .

Is the PB being carried in a case? I'm just wondering if somehow it's getting a full swipe as its slipped into whatever he's carrying it in?

Sorry I can't offer anything more constructive.
    02-26-12 10:08 PM
    It sounds like he's not putting it in standby manually. Have him put it in standby using the battery icon and it should take a swipe to bring it back.

I'm assuming it is like ours. On both of our PBs a tap wakes up the screen after if goes auto standby. But on manual standby only a swipe will wake it. I hope that's the problem, otherwise I don't know. Good luck.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-26-12 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Correct procedure
    02-26-12 10:39 PM
    He's not putting it in standby. He's assuming that when the display goes off on it's own it's in standby, it's not. That's just a battery saving mode and any contact with the screen will wake the screen back on. Have him put it in standby using the battery icon and it should take a swipe to bring it back.

I'm assuming it is like ours. On both of our PBs a tap wakes up the screen after if goes auto off. But on standby only a swipe will wake it. I hope that's the problem, otherwise I don't know. Good luck.
    thats not how mine works. and im not sure thats how anybody's works actually.

in the screen settings, there's backlight timeout, and there's standby timeout. when i put my playbook down i dont do anything. i rarely use the battery icon unless im taking it with me or closing the case, if its in it. and after 3 min (my own setting), its in standby. only a full swipe wakes it. every time, all the time.

the OP's problem sounds weird to me, i'm not sure what it could be. i would put it in standby using the battery icon and see what happens, and go from there.
    02-26-12 10:44 PM
    Sorry, Long day. Thanks for the heads up. You're right about the auto standby, what I meant was that when it goes out by auto standby, it only takes a tap to wake it. Our two work that way. When you manually put it in standby it takes a swipe. Again, ours are that way and our work PBs are that way. I just tried it, no change. I let it auto standby, 2min, tap wakes it. Manual standby, takes a swipe to wake it. They should all be that way if we have nine that do it.

Thanks again, I corrected the first one.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-26-12 at 11:13 PM.
    crackedup77 likes this.
    02-26-12 11:03 PM
    i think your 9 are limited edition PBs or something. lol

im not sure whats going on then. both my manual and auto standbys work exactly the same. a single touch never does anything to my PB, besides just when the screen is dim before the standby kicks in. and it may be only my preference, but i like it this way. a single touch would seem to be an invitation for problems, unwanted wake-ups like slipping into a bag as stated above, etc., but maybe its just me.
    02-26-12 11:21 PM
    Guys, I've tried partial swipe and tapping both after manually putting my PB into standby and auto standby. No luck.

Mine wakes up only with full swipe.
    02-26-12 11:29 PM
    i think your 9 are limited edition PBs or something. lol

im not sure whats going on then. both my manual and auto standbys work exactly the same. a single touch never does anything to my PB, besides just when the screen is dim before the standby kicks in. and it may be only my preference, but i like it this way. a single touch would seem to be an invitation for problems, unwanted wake-ups like slipping into a bag as stated above, etc., but maybe its just me.
    I think maybe his nine verify the fact that it is more credible that this is the normal behavior vs the one that you have. Mine behave exactly the same as rotorwrench. As for what is normal or suppose to be the norm, I am not going to speculate since I did not design the UI.
    02-26-12 11:31 PM
    Guys, I've tried partial swipe and tapping both after manually putting my PB into standby and auto standby. No luck.

Mine wakes up only with full swipe.
    That's what I'm saying. That's the only way ours will wake up after a manual standby, a full swipe. If it goes into standby auto, a tap will wake it.
    02-26-12 11:35 PM
    That's what I'm saying. That's the only way ours will wake up after a manual standby, a full swipe. If it goes into standby auto, a tap will wake it.
    You've got a super sensitive Playbook
    02-26-12 11:39 PM
    You've got a super sensitive Playbook
    She is . I'm confused. Are you saying that if your PB goes into auto standby it still takes a full swipe to wake it up. I know you said it takes a full swipe for manual standby.
    02-26-12 11:47 PM
    She is . I'm confused. Are you saying that if your PB goes into auto standby it still takes a full swipe to wake it up. I know you said it takes a full swipe for manual standby.
    No, Rotor. I said "I've tried partial swipe and tapping both after manually putting my PB into standby and auto standby. No luck."

It takes a full swipe no matter how it goes into standby (both auto and manual).
    02-26-12 11:50 PM
    Mine also still takes a full swipe, but i ALWAYS tap the battery and then standby.

Did your son not get the case that came with the PB? I would use that 100%, it adds minimal bulk and protects the screen. Also something to look into, if you have the softshell case (which rocks) you can take it off and put it on backwards, so it covers the screen) that way you have screen protection when you need it and it adds almost no bulk.

I love my softshell!
    02-26-12 11:57 PM
    No, Rotor. I said "I've tried partial swipe and tapping both after manually putting my PB into standby and auto standby. No luck."

It takes a full swipe no matter how it goes into standby (both auto and manual).
    OK, gotcha. Sorry, I see it in your post now. I've just spent 10hrs driving a snowblower today and am loopy. Anyway, unusual. Seriously, all our work PBsare the same way as mine and my wife's. They're all 64s exceptional I think one 32 at work. Maybe a poll lol.
    02-27-12 12:14 AM
    Mine also still takes a full swipe, but i ALWAYS tap the battery and then standby.

Did your son not get the case that came with the PB? I would use that 100%, it adds minimal bulk and protects the screen. Also something to look into, if you have the softshell case (which rocks) you can take it off and put it on backwards, so it covers the screen) that way you have screen protection when you need it and it adds almost no bulk.

I love my softshell!
    Try putting your auto standby to 90 secs, let it go to standby and try a single tap. Let us know what it does. Thanks
    02-27-12 12:16 AM
    OK, gotcha. Sorry, I see it in your post now. I've just spent 10hrs driving a snowblower today and am loopy. Anyway, unusual. Seriously, all our work PBsare the same way as mine and my wife's. They're all 64s exceptional I think one 32 at work. Maybe a poll lol.
    That's indeed odd. I am not sure what may explain the difference. Mine is also a 64Gb. May be a poll will help identify how many of us are having the issue and what the difference is.
    02-27-12 12:17 AM
    Try putting your auto standby to 90 secs, let it go to standby and try a single tap. Let us know what it does. Thanks
    Ok, my screen settings are:

Backlight Time-out: 30 sec
    Auto Backlight Dimming: ON
    Standby Time-out: 1 min

Edit: Changed Standby Timeout to 90 seconds and it still wakes up only after a full (bezel-to-bezel) swipe.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-27-12 at 12:23 AM.
    02-27-12 12:19 AM
    Still need a bezel to bezel swipe.
    02-27-12 12:23 AM
    Ok, my screen settings are:

Backlight Time-out: 30 sec
    Auto Backlight Dimming: ON
    Standby Time-out: 1 min

Edit: Changed Standby Timeout to 90 seconds and it still wakes up only after a full (bezel-to-bezel) swipe.
    I'm sorry, I was asking FSevrino to try that, as he said he's only done manual standbys.
    02-27-12 12:42 AM
    Still need a bezel to bezel swipe.
    Thanks. Just checking.
    02-27-12 12:45 AM
    no problem, glad to help... if i did
    02-27-12 12:54 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD