So after updating to os2 my playbook will now only charge using the stock charger or usb. I have a generic charger that used to work perfectly well and now the playbook will not charge with it. It will not show the bolt symbol on the battery. Since updating, I have also tried an iphone charger, and ipad charger and another high capacity generic charger and the playbook will not even show the bolt symbol. If the playbook is powered off it will show a red light and turn itself on but then it will not show the bolt symbol or charge.

The reason this is an issue for me is because I lost my stock charger while away on a trip and I don't want to shell out $40 for one when I already have others. My playbook drained to 0% a while ago and I couldn't get it to turn on until I borrowed my friend's stock charger.

I did do a clean wipe and install of the OS and it did not fix anything.

Has anybody had or heard reports of similar issues?
    03-05-12 07:13 AM
    No I have never heard of that but I would stick with RIM chargers.
    Walmart has the stock charger for 25$ and the rapid charger with cord for 40$.
    I would go with the magnetic rapid charger with cord. Could prevent damage if dropped with the USB plugged in.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    03-05-12 07:23 AM
    No, I have never herd of anything like that. My suggestion, as stated already would be to stick with OEM parts as not to ruin a perfectly good PlayBook
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    03-05-12 07:32 AM
    I have had the opposite happen.
    My OEM charger would not charge my Playbook until I upgraded to 2.0.
    I was charging the PB with my BB phone charger without issue.
    Now both work without issue.

One thing I have been told about the OEM PB charger is that the foldable prongs on it may need to be collapsed and than opened again to reset the charger.
    I have no proof of this, but it has worked when trying to charge different BB products.
    Worth a shot.

Good luck.
    03-05-12 08:39 AM
    Not sure if this will work for you. But I live in Hong Kong. I called RIM and complained that my oem charger's prongs weren't hanging on to my PlayBook. Long story short, I received a rapid charger in the mail today!! Maybe RIM US would offer to do the same. I originally thought that they would send me the original charger, needless to say that I'm a happy camper!!
    03-05-12 09:24 AM
    No I have never heard of that but I would stick with RIM chargers.
    Walmart has the stock charger for 25$ and the rapid charger with cord for 40$.
    I would go with the magnetic rapid charger with cord. Could prevent damage if dropped with the USB plugged in.
    I did not realize that walmart had them for $25. That seems like a perfectly reasonable price for the stock charger but $40 does not. I'll take a look. Thanks!
    03-05-12 02:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD