I have to say im really disappointed at the playbook. Gave it a shot and decided it is not for me. All i asked for was a good ebook reader and browser. I didn't expect this thing to perform like an iPad or Android tablet, especially for the fire sale price, but even that they didn't deliver. The ebook app they got is a joke. Which tablet or app doesn't have a built in dictionary? iPad and kindle both got it.

I knew going in i would have to side load kindle so i can use it. After side loading it i realized how laggy it was. I'm like ok, whatever, i don't turn the page every second so it's not going to bother me as much, even tho i do like it to be smooth. After using it a couple of days i came to the conclusion that the android emulate has to be the biggest piece of crap ever. It freezes all the time and when it get frozen you have to reboot your playbook and the reboot time takes forever. They didn't do quality control on it before they released it? obviously they didn't. If they did they wouldn't have push out the playbook the way it was initially launched.

Ok, now to the browser. Everyone talked about how great the browser is and it's the greatest thing ever. It is not the greatest browser ever, not even close. First of all Android can view flash for years already and iPad broswer is way smoother even tho they can't view flash. Secondly, how can they not have an option to open tab in background? They have no idea what user wants. It is understandable since the playbook was a flop, you won't expect them to know what user want or else they would have done a better job. Also, tried going to espn and view the video. exactly, you can't. so much for full desktop viewing experience. Not to mention it lags a little once you open a couple of windows or better it crashes on you. so much for being one of the best browser.

Before all the diehard blackberry fans come and say cya or why am i in the forum. I'm here because I can, and this is a forum and positive and negative criticism should be welcome. if you can handle the truth or other people's opinion then the product will never improve.
    05-02-12 05:28 PM
    Sorry you were disappointed. Too bad you never tried BookReader. It's a great alternative. I personally use my ereader to read. It's much easier on my eyes. I use BookReader for cookbooks and story books for my granddaughter.

I have had no problems with the browser myself.

You'd probably be better off with a Kindle Fire at any rate. Just my opinion.

I love my PB but I wanted more than an ereader and a browser and the PB has met my needs nicely.
    deezy87, bbfan1040 and mrzeolite like this.
    05-02-12 05:35 PM
    I have to say im really disappointed at the playbook. Gave it a shot and decided it is not for me. All i asked for was a good ebook reader and browser. I didn't expect this thing to perform like an iPad or Android tablet, especially for the fire sale price, but even that they didn't deliver. The ebook app they got is a joke. Which tablet or app doesn't have a built in dictionary? iPad and kindle both got it.

I knew going in i would have to side load kindle so i can use it. After side loading it i realized how laggy it was. I'm like ok, whatever, i don't turn the page every second so it's not going to bother me as much, even tho i do like it to be smooth. After using it a couple of days i came to the conclusion that the android emulate has to be the biggest piece of crap ever. It freezes all the time and when it get frozen you have to reboot your playbook and the reboot time takes forever. They didn't do quality control on it before they released it? obviously they didn't. If they did they wouldn't have push out the playbook the way it was initially launched.

Ok, now to the browser. Everyone talked about how great the browser is and it's the greatest thing ever. It is not the greatest browser ever, not even close. First of all Android can view flash for years already and iPad broswer is way smoother even tho they can't view flash. Secondly, how can they not have an option to open tab in background? They have no idea what user wants. It is understandable since the playbook was a flop, you won't expect them to know what user want or else they would have done a better job. Also, tried going to espn and view the video. exactly, you can't. so much for full desktop viewing experience. Not to mention it lags a little once you open a couple of windows or better it crashes on you. so much for being one of the best browser.

Before all the diehard blackberry fans come and say cya or why am i in the forum. I'm here because I can, and this is a forum and positive and negative criticism should be welcome. if you can handle the truth or other people's opinion then the product will never improve.
    As you say, your opinion and you're welcome to it. I disagree with it. My experience has been different. I have no problems with my reader, and I do about a book every two or three weeks. I can't comment on the Kindle sideload because I don't do it nor felt the need for another reader.

I don't know about you, but I have two iPads in my house to compare with and there is no comparison in the browsers. The biggest complaints my wife and daughter had with their iPads were the browser problems and email problems. They both now have PBs and are far happier with their browsing experience.

I haven't tried ESPN, but my other video experiences have been great and definitely no lag.

I agree with the post above, I'm sure you would be ecstatic with a Fire.

BTW, I assume you're selling your PB. What are you asking for it?
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-02-12 at 05:58 PM.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    05-02-12 05:53 PM
    I watch games all the time on espn3. You joined in the last two days to tell us all this?
    05-02-12 05:55 PM
    Try the Nook I have one and it is a great book machine.
    Sorry to hear PlayBook didn't live up to what you needed.
    05-02-12 05:56 PM
    While I don't care much for e-reading, I must say that the PlayBook browser is not that good.

When I first got the PlayBook, on launch day, I was impressed with the browser.....but.....now that I compare it to the iPad or Android browsers...it really is slow.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Matt J; 05-02-12 at 06:01 PM.
    05-02-12 05:57 PM
    Of all the things you could have complained about you choose the two things i found the PlayBook to be excellent at: E-Book reader and Web Browsing.

To bad the PlayBook wasn't for you, if you manage to sell it i'd strongly recomend a Kindle Fire or Nook tablet, both are cheap and are great book readers with decent browsers.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    05-02-12 06:02 PM
    OP member since may 2012.
    I say yeah right whatever, probaly doesnt own a playbook.
    bungaboy and sashlon like this.
    05-02-12 06:05 PM

weapon007! Life is too short! You owe it to yourself, you owe it to your family, to get as far aways as possible, and as soon as possible from the Playbook! I don't quite know what you're doing to make your experience so painful, but whatever it is has seemed to have soured you to the point where you wouldn't be happy making even simple suggested tweaks. Maybe your device senses your bad attitude and is just messing with you by intermittently lagging. I second the vote for the Kindle Fire, assuming the size suits you. I use my dedicated ereader for ereading, but the Playbook is more than adequate in a pinch.

I do think that sometimes people's subjective feelings influence their assessment and experience. One measure of Apple's success is the way that new customers approach a new product -- where the Ipad's every lurch is greeted as if magic. But it ain't and for me, its an annoying device that you constantly have to keep tapping. With the Playbook, on the other hand, many people seem to be skeptical and look for lags. Go figure.
    Marty_LK and bungaboy like this.
    05-02-12 06:08 PM
    This browser is on its way out. By the end of this month we will have a completely different browser. Also alot of work is being done with android. We will have multi tasking with android again at the end of the month not to mention a host of other improvements. You have to be high or just a hater to kick the playbook to the curb when it's getting ready to get a very big update. Remember this os is a baby and it's a work in progress so you can look at it two ways...you can say this is wrong and that is wrong and I've had it with yada yada yada or you can say ok..it's not perfect but I really like were rim is going with this and it's only gonna get better from here.

I'll buy your playbook if you don't want it, I love mine now and I'm looking forward to getting 2.1 very soon and blackberry10 later this year.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    05-02-12 06:09 PM
    Why are all these giving up on my PB threads of members
    that just joined CB.
    I'm just smelling something.....
    05-02-12 06:11 PM
    As you say, your opinion and you're welcome to it. I disagree with it. My experience has been different. I have no problems with my reader, and I do about a book every two or three weeks. I can't comment on the Kindle sideload because I don't do it nor felt the need for another reader.

I don't know about you, but I have two iPads in my house to compare with and there is no comparison in the browsers. The biggest complaints my wife and daughter had with their iPads were the browser problems and email problems. They both now have PBs and are far happier with their browsing experience.

I haven't tried ESPN, but my other video experiences have been great and definitely no lag.

I agree with the post above, I'm sure you would be ecstatic with a Fire.

BTW, I assume you're selling your PB. What are you asking for it?
    I had to pay for a decent browser on my iPad. I gave quite a few alternatives a shot and found only one that was worth having. But it costs to have a decent browser on the iPad. The PB browser serves me well for what I need.
    rotorwrench, sashlon and hpjrt like this.
    05-02-12 06:19 PM

I Dont really use it for reading books but it does seem its short of apps for that area which is another silly mistake for them to make really. however many seem content with a couple out there..

As for the Browser I find the playbook has the best Browser performance wise. Androids Dolphin has more options but its only a tablet and I think too many options is just overkill. you just want something easy and as quick as poss and the blackberry browser is the best I think. I do not agree that the ipad ones better and the lack of Flash for a browser on such a device is simply a big flaw..

I would advise sitting tight as more and more apps are coming out now all the time, Android and Playbook. other than that it sounds like a kindle fire was more what you were looking for.
    05-02-12 06:24 PM
    "Dear CB, I joined to post about leaving. Thanks."
    05-02-12 06:27 PM
    ok

*Forrest Gump voice* "And thats all i gotta say ... about that"
    05-02-12 06:36 PM
    Really??? You call this "positive criticism"? I understand you're disappointed, but let me point out a few small facts...the most obvious and critical being that this forum does not belong to RIM...if you have a complaint, vent it to RIM, not here. Secondly, a forum serves the purpose of sharing ideas, problems, solutions, and insights. You, however, are only bashing the product...get my drift?

I'll be the first to hold the door for you, and even a loving nudge up the backside to get you started.

Geez.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-02-12 06:41 PM
    So glad you signed up to say goodbye. Too bad you didn't give Book Reader a try because it's an excellent ereader. Your loss - and as they say, don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out!
    05-02-12 06:46 PM
    If you want to sell your playbook, email me with a price. At least it will help recoup some of your costs.
    05-02-12 06:46 PM
    "Dear CB, I joined to post about leaving. Thanks."
    LOL Good one!
    05-02-12 06:48 PM
    If you want to sell your playbook, email me with a price. At least it will help recoup some of your costs.
    Nah, it's probably going to his other neighbor's teenage daughter
    05-02-12 07:12 PM
    Did this fellow have the current software on it? His complaints read like those I had before the latest update. Now it does everything I want just fine.
    05-02-12 07:12 PM
    This browser is on its way out. By the end of this month we will have a completely different browser. Also alot of work is being done with android. We will have multi tasking with android again at the end of the month not to mention a host of other improvements. You have to be high or just a hater to kick the playbook to the curb when it's getting ready to get a very big update. Remember this os is a baby and it's a work in progress so you can look at it two ways...you can say this is wrong and that is wrong and I've had it with yada yada yada or you can say ok..it's not perfect but I really like were rim is going with this and it's only gonna get better from here.

I'll buy your playbook if you don't want it, I love mine now and I'm looking forward to getting 2.1 very soon and blackberry10 later this year.
    Let me know what kinda drug you were on when you made that post. Just because I'm not going wait for a playbook update I'm high or a hater? There no other reason huh? How about there are other tablets out there that already suited for my needs without me waiting around? Ever thought about that? or i can only be high or a hater because blackberry is the greatest company and when you make a playbook purchase you must stick with it. If that's your logic then every new product that comes out that sucks you must keep it because one day you hope it get better. how about i dont hope it get better and i get a better product out there? that must be too much for you, because you must stick with playbook and only playbook.

i can care less about what brand its on the tablet. if its good its good. if the blackberry step up their game i will use blackberry. simple as that. or im still a hater because i dont find the playbook a good tablet?

also, no you cannot buy my playbook b/c i already returned it to cowboom. if you are dying to buy one go to cowboom and get one. its 159.99.
    05-02-12 07:23 PM
    Two questions to the OP....

1.) Why did you post this in the first place????
    2.) Did you even bother to try to trouble shoot your issues?????

I love how when many useres are having an issue with anything it is automatically "Universal".... Heaven's forbid it could be something wrong with how he set it up or maybe a hardware issue.......;. No it is the Playbook as a whike.....He did not say maybe it is just his Playbook, he said Playbook period..... He did not ask is anyone else having the same issue .....

I have a Playbook... Ipad and HP Touch pad running Android.... I could make the same observations about the Ipad and HP versus my Ipad via the Browser and have have provided benchmarks on all three..... I have freinds however who love their Ipad and think it is the fastest thing going.... who am I to tell them otherwise.... Constructive critism comes from comparison... He obviously did not compare his experieces with others with Playbook as everything was about him...... Hmmmmmm........ I smell troll meat.......
    Last edited by dbmalloy; 05-02-12 at 07:31 PM.
    bungaboy and Mr.Monty like this.
    05-02-12 07:28 PM
    So glad you signed up to say goodbye. Too bad you didn't give Book Reader a try because it's an excellent ereader. Your loss - and as they say, don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out!
    What's so good about book reader? what function does it have that no other ereader have? actually, what function does other ereader have that book reader doesn't? how about a dictionary.

how simple is to make a good ebook reader? you are just reading word, its not exactly a complicated app. it doesn't even have a basic dictionary built in. that is a fail.
    05-02-12 07:29 PM
    Let me know what kinda drug you were on when you made that post. Just because I'm not going wait for a playbook update I'm high or a hater? There no other reason huh? How about there are other tablets out there that already suited for my needs without me waiting around? Ever thought about that? or i can only be high or a hater because blackberry is the greatest company and when you make a playbook purchase you must stick with it. If that's your logic then every new product that comes out that sucks you must keep it because one day you hope it get better. how about i dont hope it get better and i get a better product out there? that must be too much for you, because you must stick with playbook and only playbook.

i can care less about what brand its on the tablet. if its good its good. if the blackberry step up their game i will use blackberry. simple as that. or im still a hater because i dont find the playbook a good tablet?

also, no you cannot buy my playbook b/c i already returned it to cowboom. if you are dying to buy one go to cowboom and get one. its 159.99.
    So angry. Why so much emotion? You found your dream tab. Enjoy it. Maybe even do so on a forum for that tablet. Or...wait until you don't like it and post for the first time telling them you don't like it. That would be normal.
    05-02-12 07:31 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD