GateOne allows users to run a UNIX terminal shell within their HTML5 web browser. On my notebook computer it runs perfectly within Google Chrome/Chromium web browser but on my BlackBerry PlayBook it only displays a greyish overlay. I was under the impression the BlackBerry PlayBook web browser supports HTML5, therefore, I am chalking up this experience as simple user error. Can anyone get it to run in their BlackBerry PlayBook web browser? While WebShell is nice and works in the tablet's web browser, I would like to use GateOne if possible.
    04-27-12 04:04 PM
    I am the author of Gate One =D

If someone wants to send me a PlayBook I'll do my best to make Gate One work with it. I have no idea why it isn't working and I have no means to debug. All I can say is, "try the latest code on github." and post any errors you see to the issue tracker.
    Heavens1 and 00stryder like this.
    05-04-12 09:19 PM
    Doesn't seem to work in Safari either. Same thing just grey overlay.

PlayBook browser is webkit so that would explain it.
    05-05-12 01:33 AM
    Doesn't seem to work in Safari either. Same thing just grey overlay. PlayBook browser is webkit so that would explain it.
    it runs perfectly within Google Chrome/Chromium web browser
    All Webkit.
    05-05-12 01:40 AM

If someone wants to send me a PlayBook I'll do my best to make Gate One work with it. I have no idea why it isn't working and I have no means to debug. All I can say is, "try the latest code on github." and post any errors you see to the issue tracker.
    Hey, riskable! I was trying to run the demo of Gate One available from the website Liftoff Software and all it displayed on the BlackBerry PlayBook was a dark grey background. I will try downloading the source code from github and trying it on my own server this weekend or early next week. If I can get it to work with the tablet, I will buy you a BlackBerry PlayBook (16GB) as a "thank you" for this useful application.
    05-05-12 02:15 AM
    All Webkit.
    Doesn't Google Chrome and the open source Chromium both use WebKit as well? I can use GateOne with Chromium.
    05-08-12 06:59 AM

I just wanted to provide a quick update on GateOne and the BlackBerry PlayBook after upgrading my server from Debian GNU/Linux (Squeeze) to Debian GNU/Linux (Wheezy) and the latest version of GateOne. The latest release, requires Python 2.7 on your server/workstation, works flawlessly with the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet computer running BlackBerry Tablet OS v2.1.0.1088. If anyone else is looking for an SSH client which runs in a web browser, GateOne is an ideal solution. I tested both WiFi and bridged connectivity; the performance is very good.
    Last edited by BB9700CA; 10-28-12 at 08:08 PM.
    10-27-12 09:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD