It would be nice if Garmin made their Maps available for PlayBook. I have sent them a request to do so. If more contacted them, maybe they will. Contact them at Garmin | Share Ideas
    canuckvoip, sagec and Mr_Bunny like this.
    02-17-12 11:35 AM
    Done Told them about OS2 and the different development languages.
    02-17-12 12:52 PM
    Yes, that would be cool. But... I can hardly wait for the new version of Magellan Compass. 3.0 should have voice turn by turn.
    They just emailed me asking if they could use a route I sent them in a video they are creating. I gave them permission to do so. It must be coming soon...
    02-17-12 01:17 PM
    I SOOO want a full ofline version of Garmin for my Playbook.

I have used a stand alone Garmin for the last 3 years and loved it, but now the maps are way out of date. I'm not going to spend $100 to update he maps on my old tech device, at the same time I'm not going to spend $150 to buy a new device when I have at least 5 quality "screens" in the house. I would spend $100 to put the same Garmin I had on my stand alone device on my Playbook though.
    Mr_Bunny likes this.
    02-17-12 01:27 PM
    Not trying to thread necro...But has anyone tried to sideload this yet?
    03-30-12 06:29 AM
    Garmin isn't even supporting OS 7 on the BB phones, after supporting BB for years. I highly doubt you are going to see them put any money into developing a Garmin Mobile app for the PB for reasons that should be all too obvious.
    03-30-12 06:45 AM
    Garmin isn't even supporting OS 7 on the BB phones, after supporting BB for years. I highly doubt you are going to see them put any money into developing a Garmin Mobile app for the PB for reasons that should be all too obvious.
    Not supporting the new phones may be related to BlackBerry Traffic and BlackBerry maps being free on the phones. I think those apps have some functionality provided by TomTom.
    03-30-12 07:30 AM
    I SOOO want a full ofline version of Garmin for my Playbook.

I have used a stand alone Garmin for the last 3 years and loved it, but now the maps are way out of date. I'm not going to spend $100 to update he maps on my old tech device, at the same time I'm not going to spend $150 to buy a new device when I have at least 5 quality "screens" in the house. I would spend $100 to put the same Garmin I had on my stand alone device on my Playbook though.
    I would agree with you on the offline maps as well. I was traveling in Maine earlier this month and in the rural areas the cellular data was non existent or slower EDGE, making Magellen Maps not that useful. It could follow you on the map, but moving around or zooming in and out was beyond the ability of the data connection.

I also have a dedicated factory GPS in my GM truck and the maps are also out of date there too. This seems to be a common problem, as our GPS navigated us to the Freeport Police Station, rather than the hotel a few miles out of town. When I called the hotel, they said it was a common GPS problem and after many years only got corrected this year on some GPS units. The new map CD for my truck is about $200, with no guarantee its going to have everything up to date.

Another hurdle for us with built in GPS units is that you can do very little with them when the vehicle is moving for safety reasons, even if you have a passenger to do the work. With a stand alone on the Playbook the passenger can help with the routing while moving, such as looking for alternate routes.

Back to the original post, yes lots of us would pay more for a GPS program with offline maps.
    Last edited by robsteve; 03-30-12 at 07:40 AM.
    03-30-12 07:37 AM
    I do not subscribe to the always connected mentality.. so +1

This is also the #1 reason i did not get a PB, and would be the #1 reason why i would

Back to the original post, yes lots of us would pay more for a GPS program with offline maps.
    Eir likes this.
    03-30-12 07:46 AM
    Would love to see Garmin on PB. Will contact them through link provided.
    03-30-12 07:52 AM
    Be nice to see BB Traffic on the PB.
    I am JT likes this.
    03-30-12 10:04 AM
    seems we are getting not any further on the topic

regards
    Damian
    06-21-12 04:43 AM
    What about the partnership with TomTom?
    06-21-12 05:31 AM
    Telmap recently reviewed here has been ported here from the Android version. Uses BlackBerry Bridge for data to download maps. Works fine but no voice. Maybe someone on OS2.1 could test it?
    06-21-12 06:52 AM
    It's not necessary to involve Garmin, they don't do map databases. Garmin, as well as most private sector GPS manufacturers get their map databases from Navteq and Teleatlas. Garmin does the hardware and UI. There are many excellent GPS UI developers available that could easily develop something for the PB. Most industry and commercial navigation systems (survey, aviation, marine, scientific,etc..) aren't even Garmin based, they're Trimble and Thales.

Garmin definitely isn't the only game in town, nor necessarily the best, just the most known because of their mass pushed devices. They're very good with marketing.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-21-12 at 11:15 AM.
    dabbguy likes this.
    06-21-12 08:03 AM
    ... Maybe someone on OS2.1 could test it?
    liked to, but 4shared offers a button
    "Download Now! No virus detected"
    - click -
    and you get an 'advice'
    'You should Sign Up or Login to download this file'

although I've got enough reg's and pw's to deal with
    I could give a fake address. but that would justify
    me treating like a m0r0n.
    there are much nicer OCH's around.

anyway, a comment below that button is suggesting
    its not working straight either.

anybody can affirm that?

regards
    Damian
    06-23-12 11:59 AM
    Garmin sucks. You should be trying to get Primo 2.0 to work on your PB. Way better software and maps.
    06-23-12 03:32 PM
    liked to, but 4shared offers a button
    "Download Now! No virus detected"
    - click -
    and you get an 'advice'
    'You should Sign Up or Login to download this file'
    Here's another link from that post.
    Mr_Bunny likes this.
    06-23-12 07:32 PM
    if you only wanted to know whether
    the start screen turns up on 2.0.1
    here we go - expected it working though

can't see the point just to register at
    h**p://www.telmapbeta.com/signup
    without having (test) maps at all.

and the topic is about Garmin on BP anyway.

regards
    Damian

Garmin sucks...
    softwarewise partially I agree - it makes me sick to been
    thrown of the motorway for the benefit of a few miles loosing
    too much time to avoid speed limits and cameras in small town areas.
    Primo's maps may be nicer displayed but its using Navteq either.
    Garmin is the only one with free life time update on purchase
    and they deliver at least twice a year - who else does?
    Last edited by Anvil2k12; 06-24-12 at 03:12 AM.
    06-24-12 02:58 AM
    if you only wanted to know whether
    the start screen turns up on 2.0.1
    here we go - expected it working though

can't see the point just to register at
    h**p://www.telmapbeta.com/signup
    without having (test) maps at all.

and the topic is about Garmin on BP anyway.

regards
    Damian

softwarewise partially I agree - it makes me sick to been
    thrown of the motorway for the benefit of a few miles loosing
    too much time to avoid speed limits and cameras in small town areas.
    Primo's maps may be nicer displayed but its using Navteq either.
    Garmin is the only one with free life time update on purchase
    and they deliver at least twice a year - who else does?

Sorry, Garmin isn't the only GPS device or app manufacturer that offers free lifetime map updates. TomTom has been doing it since 2010, Magellan offers it, Delorme offers it and several others also. As for apps, TomTom, Magellan, CoPilot, Navigon, as well as Google, all have free updates. Most all manufacturers and devs will eventually be offering free updates as it will be necessary to compete.

I will say that Magellan's "free" lifetime updates on their RoadMate app for iPhone actually is only good for three years, because they claim that is the average life expectancy of that device But I have read they may remove that policy.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-24-12 at 08:49 PM.
    06-24-12 02:07 PM
    This is a very old discussion going back to day one of the PB.
    From a practical standpoint there are several reasons why this is not a good idea
    > nationwide maps are memory hogs that are not designed for the QNX type os.
    > the PB's GPS antennas are not as accurate for fast operation like on autos.
    > the PB GPS position can be off by several hundred feet.

Dedicated GPS units are therefore a much better alternative compared to PB
    06-24-12 10:11 PM
    Dedicated GPS units are therefore a much better alternative compared to PB
    agreed, however my aim is to have
    Garmin's topographical mapping (Topo)
    for walking and countryside motorcycling
    and if possible the flight maps either.

PB is not that bulky, a brilliant screen
    and gets you a larger reading than any Nuvi
    (hope so...)

regards
    Damian