The author claims two possible reasons for the high return rates. The second one makes a strong case for the Playbook approach of tethering..

High return rate for Galaxy Tab � is it tablet remorse? | ZDNet
    02-01-11 03:56 PM
    You can buy the Tab without a data plan.

I think most are just seeing that it doesn't work well for them and others decided they rather get one of the beefier tablets coming out and run an OS that was designed to run on a tablet.
    02-01-11 04:48 PM
    I read somewhere the sales on this were so bad they aren't releasing the numbers. They released how many were pushed to carriers but supposedly the actual sales were very low.
    02-01-11 04:55 PM
    The Tab problems I think are:

1. Price

2. Android 2.x, Google said that it wasn't a tablet OS and people stayed away

3. In the US they disabled the phone but kept the price high

4. It wasn't out in the states a good month before Samsung started talking about releasing Tab2 with a high resolution screen.
    02-01-11 04:59 PM
    The Tab problems I think are:

1. Price

2. Android 2.x, Google said that it wasn't a tablet OS and people stayed away

3. In the US they disabled the phone but kept the price high

4. It wasn't out in the states a good month before Samsung started talking about releasing Tab2 with a high resolution screen.

you really can't use New tablets pending as return reasons.

There have been posts here about Sprint staff not even knowing about the Playbook, the mass consumer base don't know what other products are on the market they only know what is on the shelves and what is on TV commercials,

in Thunder Bay, a city that does not have the Galaxy tab at all, many of the clients up there think that the iPad is the ONLY tablet because that is all they could buy if they wanted one.
    02-01-11 05:18 PM
    Today is a bad time to buy a tablet, because there are too many new ones about to be released. I would think that if this was a mature market, the buyers of the Tab would have already had a chance to scope out it's competition, and had they done so, they would be more comfortable with their decision to buy the Tab. that, alone would reduce the return rate, other things being equal. Right now, anyone buying a tab has GOT to be asking themselves if they should return it and wait just a wee bit longer for some other tablets that are on their way.
    02-01-11 05:45 PM
    '... they just didn�t find the tablet offered additional benefit over their smartphone.'

I think there's much more to it hhan that. It's the device itself that has to provide the benefit, not the form factor. What's the return rate on iPads? I would think that if any device is going to be prone to buyer waffling over a new form factor, it's going to be the first one out of the gate.

Now I'm no apple fanboy I did get the wife an iPad for Christmas, even though I have no desire for one myself (but now that I see what she does with it, I want a PlayBook - go figure). She has an iPhone, and I don't want one of those either. (But I do have a Mac, and I ain't never going back.) What I've seen that Apple does is they research the bajeezus out of how users will use a device and they are unsurpassed at making that device exceedingly adept at it. Say what you want about Jesus Jobs, but you cannot argue the fact that Apple gets the premium prices it does for its products because those products do what they do so well. Such is the case with the iPad; where it's so much more than a large-scrren iPhone, the Galaxy Tab just isn't.

That kind of differentiation from its own smart phone brethren as well as other tablets is what's going to give the PlayBook a decent shot at success when it hits the street.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-11 06:52 PM
    you really can't use New tablets pending as return reasons.

There have been posts here about Sprint staff not even knowing about the Playbook, the mass consumer base don't know what other products are on the market they only know what is on the shelves and what is on TV commercials,

in Thunder Bay, a city that does not have the Galaxy tab at all, many of the clients up there think that the iPad is the ONLY tablet because that is all they could buy if they wanted one.
    They only stocked a few tabs at Futureshop but Thunder Bay is literally a BB city.
    02-01-11 08:30 PM
    I think that some people just wanted to test-drive one and really had no intention of keeping it. The thought has crossed my mind...
    02-01-11 08:49 PM
    I think that some people just wanted to test-drive one and really had no intention of keeping it. The thought has crossed my mind...
    I think that's accurate. With liberal return policies, why the heck not??
    02-01-11 08:56 PM
    They only stocked a few tabs at Futureshop but Thunder Bay is literally a BB city.
    I sent 4 people to FS looking for the Galaxy tab
    non could find it since Rogers Sold off 807 to tbay tel
    02-01-11 09:04 PM
    '... they just didn�t find the tablet offered additional benefit over their smartphone.'

I think there's much more to it hhan that. It's the device itself that has to provide the benefit, not the form factor. What's the return rate on iPads? I would think that if any device is going to be prone to buyer waffling over a new form factor, it's going to be the first one out of the gate.
    The return rates on the ipad were a lot lower, but realistically that was always going to be the case as the apple following is far more loyal combined with the much greater level of advertising made it more clear what the ipad could be used for unlike the galaxy tab that was given almost no promotion at all.
    02-02-11 07:23 AM
    I didn't see hardly any advertising for the Tab this past Christmas. I saw the iPad every freaking 15mins when a show went to commerical, heck sometimes saw it twice during a commerical break.

Since the Tab is doing so bad I hope they go on overstock.com or some deal of the day website and they go for $199 I'll pick one up for my son. Would be perfect for traveling although he does have the ipod touch.
    02-02-11 07:59 AM
    I was going to wait for the playbook and Xoom tablet but my girl got me an ipad for christmas and I must say I love it. I played with the galaxy tab in the store and to me it honestly seemed like just a bigger version of the samsung fascinate.
    02-02-11 08:44 AM
    RIM needs an advertising and PR depqrtment (I only assume they don't have one). Even if their phones and other devices were the best, nobody knows much about them. Motorola already has a superbowl commercial lined up for their tablet. Seems like when you go to a comparison site now for tablet info, it is much the same as doing so for smartphones; it is almost entirely an apple vs. Motorola debate. How will RIM stand a chance? A consumer can't buy what he doesn't know exists. If RIM plans on stagnating and simply selling to a customer base they already have... Well, I hope I hear ahead of time that is their official game plan. I will short their stock and retire.

02-02-11 09:37 AM
    Moto even has a few players with the Xoom praising it. They are also suppose to be at some of the SB events from what I hear.

You're right. A customer can't buy what they don't know about, especially when the other products are constantly in your face.

The thing about an established base is you're pretty much going to have them. Look at Apple it's often said SJ could put out a device and call it an iTurd and people will buy it and he knows that but he also wants the non fans to buy his device too. I see it like this. I want your money and the guy next to you money. You can still be true to your standards while branching out.

RIM should be the ones using the SB to their advantage and about to release a tablet. BEP could have used it in their set, then in the follow up commercial with it and then throw in a few coaches saying hey get me my PlayBook so we can go over our plays or something like that
    02-02-11 09:58 AM
    You're right. A customer can't buy what they don't know about, especially when the other products are constantly in your face.
    You said it better than I did. History had a well established record that inferior product quality can be compensated with marketing. Lazardis can jump up and down all day long claiming that the playbook is better but if he doesn't advertise it and try to convince people, he's wasting his breath.

Plus, I'm sorry, but timing is important to. The first tablets on the market will have a lot of impact. We just waved goodbye to January. Time is rumming out for RIM to meet a "Q1 release date" target. Yea there is almost 60 days left but at this stage there are no signs they are that close to getting them on the shelf by the end of March.

Where the xoom will have been sitting for many weeks already... Assuming they haven't sold out of them.

02-02-11 01:11 PM
    Moto even has a few players with the Xoom praising it. They are also suppose to be at some of the SB events from what I hear.

The thing about an established base is you're pretty much going to have them. Look at Apple it's often said SJ could put out a device and call it an iTurd and people will buy it and he knows that but he also wants the non fans to buy his device too. I see it like this. I want your money and the guy next to you money. You can still be true to your standards while branching out.

RIM should be the ones using the SB to their advantage and about to release a tablet. BEP could have used it in their set, then in the follow up commercial with it and then throw in a few coaches saying hey get me my PlayBook so we can go over our plays or something like that
    We are dealing with skinflints here, they won't invest the money to even air a 30sec. spot at the SB. That is probably why we haven't heard a peep out of RIM, it will cost too much to get the word out. Another example of their failure to compete with the "big boys".
    02-02-11 10:31 PM
    We are dealing with skinflints here, they won't invest the money to even air a 30sec. spot at the SB. That is probably why we haven't heard a peep out of RIM, it will cost too much to get the word out. Another example of their failure to compete with the "big boys".
    I am also wondering if RIM isn't a little "gunshy" lately. Maybe they are hiding under a blanket of modesty... In the last couple of years they bragged about a new big gun from time to time only to find the thing misfired or only shot blanks; after the Storm bombed and the Storm refresh, after counting thiernchecmens before they were hatched with the playbook.... Perhaps they are on a "better safe than sorry" itenary now.

02-03-11 10:57 AM
    I see more blackberry ads than any other phone. They are always advertising them during prime time shows, banner ads on websites, and have product placements in tons of shows. Last week I watched four tv shows the same day and all four had a character using a blackberry. Watch the BBC's Sherlock tv show. Each episode has Sherlock solving crimes with his blackberry, and the blackberry changes in at least two different episodes. They just don't blatantly call attention to it.

I see more blackberries in tv shows than I do any other cell phone, it's just that it tends to be more subtle, unlike Apple, where the program has to show the logo for a full 30 seconds while the characters talk about how they are getting a call on their iphone (like every episode of Chuck, or whatever phone of the week paid JJ Abrams to show it off on Fringe).

It's not that they don't advertise, it's that they are less in your face about it.
    02-03-11 11:10 AM
    wayoung where in the world do you reside? I'm in the US and all I see is freaking iphone commercials, sometimes twice in one commerical break. But I think I see the My Touch 4G even more than those which i don't mind because of the spokeswoman eye candy?

As far as TV show placement. One of my favorite show Psych the main character uses an iphone. They show it enough that you can't help but notice it.
    02-03-11 11:25 AM
    the return rate is around 2% or whatever in a report today...
    02-03-11 11:31 AM
    wayoung where in the world do you reside? I'm in the US and all I see is freaking iphone commercials, sometimes twice in one commerical break. But I think I see the My Touch 4G even more than those which i don't mind because of the spokeswoman eye candy?

As far as TV show placement. One of my favorite show Psych the main character uses an iphone. They show it enough that you can't help but notice it.
    Canada. Blackberry is the only phone I see advertised here, although on certain nights/stations the iPad is pimped every commercial break. Iphone 4 was advertised a bunch when it came out, but not anymore.

RIM also advertises all over the TV stations websites and during the streaming commercial breaks. I'm on msnbc.com in another tab right now, and Blackberry is that square ad beside the recent news box.

Last week I watched Community, The Office, House, and one other show on the same night and they all had heavy blackberry product placement (which was surprising for House, because Apple and another phone company used to always be blatantly shown).

I hate the over-focused product placement that Apple and a few others force on the shows they pair with. Always takes me out of my suspension of disbelief. Fringe is probably the worse offender right now, although Chuck is pretty damn close. House used to be number 1 but has really toned it down from what they used to do.
    02-03-11 11:34 AM
    Ok that makes sense. RIM is a Canadian company. I see a few BB commercials here.

As for the MSNBC.com you're probably seeing that ad because of cookies and your web browsing.

That iPad and piano music is going to drive me nuts
    02-03-11 11:39 AM
    the return rate is around 2% or whatever in a report today...
    Ok. I must have missed something. 2% is considered high?

I wonder what the return rate was for the storm. Or the torch for that matter.

02-03-11 04:25 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD