10-28-14 10:39 AM
31 12
tools
    I finally had a chance to try my 64 GB Playbook's HDMI function this weekend. It worked perfectly! We were able to watch videos stored on my PB, on a friend's tv! Really amazing. :-D

.: snip :.
    Alternatively, I'm going to purchase the HDMI cord.

Posted with my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.3253/3182 Radio
    09-02-14 11:17 PM
    The best way to future-proof an abandoned tablet for two more years is not to bother in the first place. Mine's gathering dust, brought out for occasional use as a video player in the car, so it's definitely not "business class" or a "tool not toy". Maybe I'm secretly hoping the kids will throw it out the car window so I won't always be reminded of BlackBerry's knack of pulling failure from the jaws of success.

You'd be better off buying a cheap Nexus 7 or iPad that will see two more years of system updates and most importantly, app updates. The PlayBook will see none of those.
    09-09-14 11:13 AM
    My 16gb PB is permanently connected to my lcd tv, streams show box. My 32gb PB goes everywhere I go. Loaded with close to a thousand retro games spanning the 8 bit Nintendo era, 16 bit Sega Genesis / SNES, gameboy advanced, Sony play station and N64 emulators. It is truly a PlayBook. Oh, it's also a great e-reader.

Posted via CB10
    mh1983 and AWB70 like this.
    10-21-14 01:37 AM
    I'm on a work trip through Indo-China at the moment. I definitely didn't want to bring the laptop, far too heavy, so I'm on phone plus Playbook. The phone is the workhorse, as you'd kind of expect these days. But I adore the Playbook as my multi-media and ereader on this trip for the time in airports and on aircraft. Simply love it. Did a security wipe just before coming away and the thing is responding beautifully.

Ok, I can do better now. But it's still useful allied to the phone.

Posted via CB10
    mh1983 and dmlis like this.
    10-21-14 09:53 AM
    Strange how the OP specifically asked how to extend the life of his Playbook and got advice to buy another one I have two. A 16gig used in car as entertainment system and a 32gig which is both a companion if I go anywhere and for when mooching about on the sofa casual surfing as I am now while the phones charging.
    I generally bridge while my Z10's on charge and keep the PB next to me for answering text and BBM. I used to update my BBM channel from it but for some reason the channels site stopped uploading images

I don't mind having my mail accounts set up on the PB, in fact its quite beneficial. I delete any mail that's not important to my daily life or work from the Z10 but leave on server and the PB gives me a second chance to look at them when I have time in case I missed anything which also keeps my phone less cluttered.
    Contacts and calender syncing with outlook, evernote, dropbox, linkedin, twitter via blaq, facebook via origami on mobile site (better than native or sideload) flickr to upload images to my account, ebay, news readers, Taptu for checking all my social and news feeds, web reader for rss feeds, manageit for running projects at work for office I use Kingsoft WPS which has as many features as any tablet I've seen lately and countless just for giggles sideloads.

When I'm in the hotel when working away I spend the evenings either casual surfing and keeping in touch or I,ll read a book on either Kobo or Kindle or possibly hook up to the tv and watched a movie I've saved just for this occasion.

Other than that its pretty much a door stop really!

But, if I was asked which single thing gives it longevity I would have to say for me its Barinstall on my Z10 I just sit downloading apks and bombing my playbook with bars over wifi while its in development mode. Hey, you'll be surprised. A lot of people seem to have give up looking for working bars or rely on goodereader to keep things updated. The office I have working was the latest one 6.2.2 off my Z10 but works flawlessly. A lot of android apps still have compatibility for the old runtime.

Never Stop looking for stuff. Most annoying thing for me is not having full featured BBM while brideged i.e group chats etc.
    mh1983, Ragbert and tovento like this.
    10-26-14 04:07 PM
    I have my playbook 64GB for two years now and I use it everyday. I have installed Kingston office, Maxthon, Evernote and dropsync. I have all my business docs in my playbook and by a strange reason I have offline evernotes(sideloaded). When connected with my Z10 I have the mobile office I need.
    Ragbert likes this.
    10-28-14 10:39 AM
31 12