Here is another interesting video that gives an interesting outlook on the future of the Playbook. Keeping things positive!
    12-22-11 07:26 PM
    Here is another interesting video that gives an interesting outlook on the future of the Playbook. Keeping things positive!
    Wrong forum. The stats Alex mentioned refer to the "BlackBerry platform" which is a superset of the PlayBook platform. I agree with the OP that there are positive signs and reason to be optimistic, but there is not doubt that few, if any developers, who develop exclusively for PlayBook are making nearly as much money as they would like. Unless you're one of the big names (think EA and Rovio) you are in this for the fun of it or you are banking on RIM growing the user-base.
    12-22-11 08:13 PM
    RIM takes 30% of all app sales, just like everybody else.
    12-22-11 08:24 PM
    The point is that there are fewer apps so less competition = more $ made (As long as the App is good quality)
    12-23-11 12:39 AM
    they used to only take 20%. i guess they need the extra money now.
    12-23-11 12:41 AM
    The point is that there are fewer apps so less competition = more $ made (As long as the App is good quality)
    Agreed. The relatively small number of high-quality applications currently available for the BlackBerry PlayBook however seem to get crowded out by the lesser quality applications. I regularly recommend three applications to users of this tablet all of which are paid applications because of the application's functionality and the responsiveness of the developer of the application to suggestions. I am always on the lookout for additional high-quality applications both free and paid in an effort to encourage the small development community.
    12-23-11 01:33 AM
    A friend of mine develops as well but complains about the fact that to be able to even upload apps before approval you need an account for which you need to pay a hefty fee. Android and Itunes are free in this respect. He believes this raises a pretty steep barrier for most hobby-developers. Anyone concur with this?
    12-23-11 01:48 AM
    A friend of mine develops as well but complains about the fact that to be able to even upload apps before approval you need an account for which you need to pay a hefty fee. Android and Itunes are free in this respect. He believes this raises a pretty steep barrier for most hobby-developers. Anyone concur with this?
    Apple's Developer Program while not free, only costs $99/yr.
    It allows you to submit apps that if approved
    can be sold (70% to developer) or given away on the App Store.

How much does it cost with Rim ?
    Last edited by Sonic77; 12-23-11 at 07:44 AM.
    12-23-11 06:21 AM
    Apple's Developer Program while not free, only costs $99/yr.
    It allows you to submit apps that if approved
    can be sold (70% to developer) or given away on the App Store.

How much does it cost with Rim ?
    Uhm, $0? Free is always better
    12-23-11 07:22 AM
    Uhm, $0? Free is always better

Is it free with RIM to submit and sell an app on app world?

A couple posts above mentions a hefty fee.
    12-23-11 07:43 AM
    Less choice result in better sales. After all you paid app is only one of the few.
    You must have a damn good app to be able to keep it selling for more than $0.99

The general public don't want to pay for an app unless they really need it.

The famous simple but reasonable good looking and working "fart app" still take many hour to develop. Who gonna pay for that? You downloaded it so you wanted it, but didn't find it worth $0.99?

Those who don't want to pay, come mow my lawn without pay. No skills required and it just take a couple of hours.

I guess (on any platform) there is enough reason to have some kind of "app quality control" before it reach app word / app store / market. Filter out the garbage.
    12-23-11 07:57 AM
    No RIM takes 20% of app sales .. their numbers are 80/20
    12-23-11 08:00 AM

That poster was wrong if he was referring about RIM... there is no hefty fee
    12-23-11 08:02 AM
    Video posted Oct 1, 2011

Sept 30 - Dec 22, 2011 -7.23 (-34.17%)
    12-23-11 08:04 AM
    Video posted Oct 1, 2011

Sept 30 - Dec 22, 2011 -7.23 (-34.17%)
    This has nothing to do with the development or sales / revenue of the software.
    12-23-11 08:12 AM
    This has nothing to do with the development or sales / revenue of the software.
    It very much does if the purported information is woefully out of date.
    12-23-11 08:14 AM

Yes, it's free. Even code signing keys are free now. Absolutely zero cost to publish an app on BB App World. I wouldn't rely too much on CB forums now that there seems to be an influx of trolls again, and these people care little to update themselves about RIM before spewing out misinformation.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry App World Distribution
    morrsn, ralfyguy and rotorwrench like this.
    12-23-11 09:52 AM
    How dare you to have optimism about the playbook
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-23-11 09:58 AM

Which post refers to fees to post?

Posts above talks about App Tax RIM takes over sales. If publisher sells an app for $1, $.30 goes to RIM and $.70 goes to the publisher. Same model on Apple's App Store, and Google's Android Market (and many other Android stores such as Amazon App Store).
    12-23-11 10:30 AM
    And someone else said it is 80/20
    12-23-11 10:35 AM
    It used to be 20 percent. Read the article at the link below:

RIM to up its revenue cut in updated BlackBerry App World, news, BlackBerry App World, PocketGamer.biz

As such, RIM may well feel justified in upping the amount of money it takes from app sales. Currently, the company pools 20 percent of the revenue made from each sale, with developers taking home 80 percent.

However, studios will soon be left with a 70 percent share, RIM upping its hand to 30 percent - a ratio that brings BlackBerry in line with both iOS and Android.
    12-23-11 10:44 AM
    it just seems bizarre too me that they (RIM) are acting as if they are on-top of the heap, they clearly are not!
    how can you charge these fees when there is the distinct lack of support, lack of apps ect?

Im not saying droid or iPoo platform are better, I for one am very excited about unwrapping my 32gb PB xmas morning but the afore mentioned platforms are supported and marketed so much more and dare I say it have so much more available to them in the form of apps ect-.

here in the UK there is no advertising for BB and the PB is virtually unobtainable, I haven't seen PB`s on show or in stock in the high street.

IMO, they really are not helping there situation here in the UK and if all the media is to be believed and they are strongest outside the states then they really need to pull there fingers out regarding marketing.

its dammed disappointing to watch a brand you really like do little to help itself.

I for one dont like touch screens on small phones however after playing with a friends Galaxy Nexus it really stopped me and made me think, Rim really need to pull something special out the hat.
    ralfyguy likes this.
    12-23-11 12:05 PM
    Sometimes it makes me feel like that the competition fears the day in February when OS2 is coming out, thus possibly making the PB too good compared to their products, maybe even superior in every aspect so they need to make front against RIM whatever it takes.
    And doing it while it's still waiting for that update to make consumers think it completely sucks, so that when the update comes, nobody cares anymore.
    Talk it down at all costs, mobilize anything they can think of. I mean look at what's going on lately. Nothing but politics. I for one think if what the OS2 suggests to be, it could very well be the best tablet on the market in every aspect.
    anon3396357 likes this.
    12-23-11 12:48 PM
    Sometimes it makes me feel like that the competition fears the day in February when OS2 is coming out, thus possibly making the PB too good compared to their products, maybe even superior in every aspect so they need to make front against RIM whatever it takes.
    And doing it while it's still waiting for that update to make consumers think it completely sucks, so that when the update comes, nobody cares anymore.
    Talk it down at all costs, mobilize anything they can think of. I mean look at what's going on lately. Nothing but politics. I for one think if what the OS2 suggests to be, it could very well be the best tablet on the market in every aspect.
    none of the companies are doing this. 3rd party android pushers like samsung attack apple. apple pretty much ONLY attacks 3rd party android manufacturers. neither of them give a crap about the playbook. and if you look at any recent statistics about enterprise interest from users, its actually android in 1st place, iphone 2nd and then blackberry last.

its playbook owners and the general public that are making a "front against RIM". thats what happens when you release shoddy products that not even the most loyal of RIM fans can stand behind.
    12-23-11 01:29 PM
    I would not trade my PB for anything else. It does what I want it to do best. Even if the update wouldn't come, I still would keep it. I see OS2 as a bonus.
    12-23-11 01:40 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD